Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Connecting Bluetooth to 2014 Wakesetter 23 LSV

scottmortensen

• 2 months later...

Do you have the Mobile Device Gateway? Otherwise you can use a Bluetooth adapter for AUX  you buy somewhere. At least that is what my dealer told me. Also a 2014 23 lsv (without MDG). 

Edited by wakefrankNL
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone installed this one or is there a better one ? I assume I would get a phone plus to 3.5mm adapter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html#customer-reviews-tab

I also see this one several folks have posted about:

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/install-accessories/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html

Edited by Argonaut

Hi DAI,

Did you get a 3.5mm into phone plug adapter for it and then where did you wire it into the system? My 2008 jbl is on the passenger side where the batteries are but most wires lead over to the main dash...Perhaps I could just tap into the jbl power wires?

20 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Hi DAI,

Did you get a 3.5mm into phone plug adapter for it and then where did you wire it into the system? My 2008 jbl is on the passenger side where the batteries are but most wires lead over to the main dash...Perhaps I could just tap into the jbl power wires?

No on the 3.5mm plug.  I wired it into the Exile zone controller I installed at the same time.  If I was not doing the zone controller, I would have just replaced the OEM unit in the RF.  On the 2008, unless you have an open RCA spots, or at least something you are OK with disconnecting, I can see where you'd need the 3.5mm adaptor.

Thanks DAI. I ordered the exile to try for the better sound quality and have been trying to look closer at the jbl wires ... the unit is in the very front of the observers compartment and not easy to get to or see :(

5 hours ago, onwi said:

I had the exile unit you linked.  Sound quality was great.  The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to go to the source, my phone, to switch songs.  I ended up upgrading to this BT UNIT.

I have this as well. Works great.

20170325_174656.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for something that will add Bluetooth capabilities to my 2009 Wakesetter VLX stereo (Rockford Fostgate)

I am not very technical at all and not sure what's involved in splicing wires and grounded to power. I found this option on Cruthfield's site that looks like a simple plug and play option: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_979IBT402/HOSA-IBT-402-Drive.html?tp=61776

It powers over USB.

Would this be a good option? Or are the ones where you need to splice the wires and ground to power better?

Thanks!

I installed the Exile one in my 2008 and have been very happy. I did end up adding a (forgetting the name of the adapter but it eliminated some extra noise that was present from time to time). Purchased it from Bakes. Very nice to deal with.

Specifically, what s involved in the installation of the Exile one? What is needed to splice the wire and ground to a power source? Are there any instructions somewhere, or better yet, a video showing how to do it?

And what type of adapter did you need with the Exile one?

Thanks!!!

In the glove compartment of my boat there is a cigarette port and a 3.5mm AUX port. The exile has two phono plugs and power...I purchased a phono plug to 3.5mm adapter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Adecco-LLC-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B01ET3Y2SO/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=phono+plugs+to+3.5mm&qid=1554091777&s=gateway&sr=8-19

For the power, I tried two different ways...1) connected it direct to the same battery powering the stereo. 2) wired to a cigarette lighter plug. In the end I don't think either way reduced a small amount of noise. So I purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No noise and seems to work flawlessly :)

If you are close to Seattle, I am happy to do it with you.

Edited by Argonaut

Thanks so much for the tips Argonaut! Wish I was close enough to take you up on your offer, but it would be too far of a drive :)

I should hopefully be able to figure it out. Either by myself, or getting a handy friend to help out.

Thanks again!

10 hours ago, Argonaut said:

I installed the Exile one in my 2008 and have been very happy. I did end up adding a (forgetting the name of the adapter but it eliminated some extra noise that was present from time to time). Purchased it from Bakes. Very nice to deal with.

What adapter did you purchase from Bake's?

@Kojak my wording may not have been the clearest. I purchased the Exile unit from Bakes. The adapters can be found at either the Amazon links I posted above or locally in the Seattle area sometimes Frys has this sort of stuff. Used to be Radio Shack had these types of adapters too  :)

I would get the exile unit or its JL Audio clone (whichever is cheaper). Power it by piggybacking from the + and - from your tower or cabin speaker amp. Make sure there is a fuse on the + side. You will need a short two channel RCA cable (3’ would be good). Find the aux input on your black box and plug into that. Personally I would trace back from the glove box 3.5mm input (if you have one) to where that connects to the black box, unplug it from the black box, and plug in the rca from your BT unit there. 

Note — doing it this way is the “simplest” way, but will result in the BT unit being turned on whenever your amps are connected to power. If they are wired to your battery switch, this means that the BT unit will turn off when you turn your battery switch off. On some older boats it is not uncommon for the amps to be wired straight to a battery. In that case you would want to use a relay to turn the BT unit on and off with the stereo. 

Or if you don’t want to learn a little about 12v electronics, drag your boat to the local stereo shop and have them do it. I can’t imagine they’d charge more than $50 + parts for a simple install like that?  @MLA am I in the ballpark there?

Edited by shawndoggy

@shawndoggy I like your idea of plugging the input directly into the amp...does it make sense to split it somehow so you retain the glovebox use? I realize you could only use one input at a time. Or everything is Bluetooth these days so one really only needs the Bluetooth adapter :)