Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 23 LSV Wakesetter

Mardimus

I am a proud owner of a used 2009 Malibu 23 LSV Wakesetter.  Purchased it with 82 hours on it and is exceptionally immaculate.  I love it.  However, I am not in love with the older stereo.  I would like to upgrade and have done some extensive research but figured it is now time to post.  The boat is equipped with 8 M2 Rockford Fosgate speakers and a sub under drivers dash by the feet.  Two RF Amps (P500 2 channel and a P400 4 channel).  I also see a JBL Marine Black Box but not sure what model it is (I have a request into prospecelectronics to identify the head unit and the black box).  The head unit or remote is the JBL Marine Remote (pic  below of the unit from online image).  I do not have Maliview (Viper Malivu). 

What I would like to do is upgrade the head unit/remote to a newer one and also a new black box or just a head unit that does it all (but figured this would be harder due to all the wiring to the amps, etc located in storage).  I would also like to add 2 tower speakers with LED's (Maybe 4 speakers up there but I think 2 would be fine for what I would like to do).  From the pics it looks like I may need another amp to run the towers speakers (all ready prewired just need some speakers).  Any thoughts on speakers for the towers, brand size, etc??  Overall, I like the speakers and amps I have now as it does get loud and sounds great.  I just need a bit more for the surfers behind the boat and an upgraded head unit.  I do have a Mux remote in the back and it used to change the stereo but now it only controls my lights and some other functions (not sure what happened but figured I should factor that in too just in case the info is relevant).  And I have a dual battery setup (pics below).

Let me know what you all think as I would love to upgrade the tunes and my budget is high so please don't hold back.  Thank you for reading and any input. 

vc1pm4Fub9JOi5xxSszbLynyk9Eng3X75zknucn5R1wanEj16dgktcYDI_kl-PktG7hEu46rsnra18Nm

Z-jq2Iot3nTS5j7Htb9vNEIFr7cvUjiwQfyi-W4U

Qsl4xT9-59mQ2zfluR0vGCz79CLkwsrkdRJkDNdt

hYNVPB7gP0rqFezje9BMSOliEIc2G5P0XIv_hTV0

NmRgC_vt6t65RvUe5_4Vs8SM19YMmYl681Dq3zGt

yaFoZPmQWPfIKDlKyB5k5qfxEHJltI8lB0TksSBr

ymYTB3mdTwIIHjK8T2_rWp88KDWL77p_1NDqOB6F

qz_8vXa9NEquXbx6AKteOzcpxekTaYUYTYVp9V1X

bb4nsH7ipVIsRUGpXJjVhMYk6FIHcZ_73ffKSm6T

Edited by Mardimus

I’d go with a wetsounds 420 equalizer. Get a set of wetsounds rev 10’s for the tower with a strong amp to push them. That would be all you would need. Make sure to not underpower them. I don’t know what wetsounds amp they recommend for them as I have a jl 750/1 that I use to power mine. The eq will let you control not only bass, mid range and treble, but will also let you control the volume of the in boat speakers and the tower speakers separately.  I have this same setup and it jams.  I think two pairs would be a little overkill but if you want it LOUD!! that’s another option. 

I have the same set up and it works great for me. A pair of Revs on a SYN4 through the 420 is more than capable. I can’t imagine how loud 2 pair of Revs would be as 1 pair can be painfully loud in the rear of the boat.

Thank you so much for the info.  I am checking out the hardware now.  I would definitely want the multi zone control.  So thank you again for adding that to the recommendation.  Cheers.  Ill update when I start to put together the shopping list. 

I found a set of the Rev 10's from Amazon and Crutchfield.  The Wet Sounds Syndicate Series SYN 4 Amplifier is hard to find.  Seems out of stock everywhere.  Do you all feel like the DX4 at 185W will be suitable?  Also what are you all running for a head unit. It looks like the 420 equalizer would be great for the sound but where are you all mounting it? looks like it is 7"Wx1"Hx5.5"D.  So maybe where my existing unit is in the dash?  Then would I just remove the JBL audio marine black box?  Seems like you would not need it anymore.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Mardimus said:

The Wet Sounds Syndicate Series SYN 4 Amplifier is hard to find. 

Been retired about 3 seasons. You would want to look for the Syn-DX4.

1 hour ago, Mardimus said:

Do you all feel like the DX4 at 185W will be suitable?

You should work with the knowledgeable retailer and they can get you setup properly to make sure you get all the available amp wattage. They can help you with proper tuning of the amp and zone controller/line driver of you go with one. 

10 minutes ago, MLA said:

Been retired about 3 seasons. You would want to look for the Syn-DX4.

You should work with the knowledgeable retailer and they can get you setup properly to make sure you get all the available amp wattage. They can help you with proper tuning of the amp and zone controller/line driver of you go with one. 

Thank you. I saved a few forum threads from here that go in depth about the amp set up and speaker set ups for the Wetsounds. Great knowledge on these threads. I’ll head over to one of the local places here on seattle and start chatting up with some of the reps to get some more info.  Cheers! 

Edited by Mardimus
  • 1 year later...

I’m looking to make a similar upgrade to a 2009 Response LXi. What did you end up installing, and did you replace the JBL “black box?”