Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Company made the trailer for the 1992 Sunsetter?

MattInGeorgia

I just Bought an AWESOME 1992 Sunsetter from a cool Cat in Tennessee.  I'm trying to get a tag for the trailer, and the Vin tag is wore out.  Malibu says that they don't have any record of making the trailer, so they can't send me a new Vin plate.  Does anyone have a tag on their early 90's trailer with their Sunsetter that says who the manufacturer is?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is back then each dealer ordered the trailer of their choice. Maybe find the origional dealer, but even that may not work at this point, but maybe they can give you that info.

We can say its home made in my state, and its not an issue, just an idea

Edited by asnowman
Add info
  • Like 2

My '93 Echelon was on a Zieman trailer. If you've got the old registration paperwork the VIN is on there, if you've at least got the plate you can call the issuing DMV (get stuck on hold for hours) and ask them what it is. They may need some "motivation" to help, tell them you've got most of it but can't tell the difference between "1" and "I" or something like that. While every state is different, the guy you bought the boat from might have insured the trailer, if he did then his insurance company will also have a record of what the VIN is. I'd reccomend working with the guy you bought the boat and trailer from to get the VIN figured out.

How did you get the title transferred to you without the VIN?!

Another trick is to use some "enhanced" photography. Take a picture of the VIN in different lighting, even try putting some water on it, then use the adjustment tools on your computer to change contrast and brightness. You might be able to make out one character at a time while you're zoomed in and making adjustments.

As @JeffK said, pictures will help. Someone else on here must have a similar trailer.

Edited by mikeo
speeling error

Sorry for the short initial post.  It was late and I was on the ipad.  Dealers had options through the factory, but many had local relationships with trailer manufacturers.  If you can post a couple pictures up, someone should be able to help you identify the boat.  Where do you live?  East coast and West coast dealers often used different manufacturers.  The boat could have been sold or moved across the country, but there is a better than fair chance it will remain in the same area.  Pictures would be a first, easy start.

A lot of the Midwest boats in that era were on a Sweetwater or SMP, out of Sweetwater, TN.  I don't think they make boat trailers anymore but do make trailers.  They looked a lot like the current Boatmates, but usually had two guide poles at the front where the winch is.

www.pipetrailer.com

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 91 Sunsetter Euro F3 recently and had the same exact issue.  Being the boat came from out of state, it needed to be inspected before I could register the trailer.  Without the ID number on the trailer (the original plate fell off), I was pretty much screwed.  Fortunately, I received all of the original paper work with the boat, which included the trailer build information.  The company that built the trailer is Eagle Trailer Co..  I looked them up online and gave them a call.  They said the identification number may or may not be on a sticker just inside of the right rear tail light.  I  popped it off and BAM.....there was a little white sticker with the ID number on it and in perfect shape.  I'd suggest giving this a try and maybe you'll get as lucky as I did.