Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 lsv 23 ballast pump upgrade

Mardimus

4do_fNi36hovmbDazx9baCWWFXOtBhDEndN89t3W

I’m running shurflo piranha 800 for in and out pumps on my 2009 lsv 23. Bow internal tank, center internal tank and two stern internal tanks plus two fly highs for the lockers. The 800s seem to take forever to fill and drain the fly highs.  Any thoughts on a new set of pumps??  3/4 hoses running to and from pumps and pumps are controlled from dash console. Much appreciated. 

Edited by Mardimus

Bump for a little help. I located and took photos of the fill ballasts for the rear fly highs in the lockers and rear imbedded tanks. Anyone ever replace these? Looking to fill a bit faster and would love some recommendations. Thanks. -hccRNlSltN2ynrAYpUAtBJZhq7--FiYGwEBOCJTdzKvitwWqDqiYPXUkDoX_2IDseEPkmUmGD8xxGhmCThIhE9P1rlwQoZZHbrbt-oV9lDW5t9r0RU1jG69

a bit hard to see but in pic 2 it’s the small white cap and then in pic 3 it’s the white cap dead center in image. 

I would go with a reversible pump for any add on bags. I have 2, one for a rear 1100 and one for my front 750. They are IMO, less trouble to install and maintain primarily due to the importance of pump placement for an aerator style “drain pump”. Half as many pumps involved and the reversible can be installed in a lot more convenient locations i.e. on an easily acccessible bulk head. They also require less parts and pieces to plumb. The draw back is the up front cost will be more to get them set up correctly. In this shot you can see my add on aerator style pump on the right and kind of see the reversible pump tucked up into the corner on the upper right. I used the aerator one season to fill my 1100 and lost my mind over the crazy long fill time. One the left you can see the through hull pick up for the rear 1100. I have the same set up running from my front  bilge “T” handle drain hole for my front 750. All I had to do to get that to work was replace the factory brass through hole fitting with a new WM’s supplied fitting and screw it all in. 

IMG_0302.JPG.9b294a83659a2968389c65988e659d66.JPG

Edited by wdr
Sp
12 hours ago, wdr said:

I would go with a reversible pump for any add on bags. I have 2, one for a rear 1100 and one for my front 750. They are IMO, less trouble to install and maintain primarily due to the importance of pump placement for an aerator style “drain pump”. Half as many pumps involved and the reversible can be installed in a lot more convenient locations i.e. on an easily acccessible bulk head. They also require less parts and pieces to plumb. The draw back is the up front cost will be more to get them set up correctly. In this shot you can see my add on aerator style pump on the right and kind of see the reversible pump tucked up into the corner on the upper right. I used the aerator one season to fill my 1100 and lost my mind over the crazy long fill time. One the left you can see the through hull pick up for the rear 1100. I have the same set up running from my front  bilge “T” handle drain hole for my front 750. All I had to do to get that to work was replace the factory brass through hole fitting with a new WM’s supplied fitting and screw it all in. 

Now THAT ^^^ is a spotless bilge area!!!!  Very nice!  And I second the addition of reversible pumps.  I replaced all my aerators with reversibles many years ago, and they have been awesome!! 

Edited by Brodie
12 hours ago, wdr said:

I'm impressed with the cleanliness of that bay.  Wow.  So it looks like my best option is to go 1 inch hose and some reversible pumps and start reorganizing my setup.  I'm pulling it out of the water this weekend as I'm having some "typical" Power Wedge actuator issues (sigh).  So ill start playing with a new pump system and how it might all come together.  any thoughts on pumps you recommend.  I want crazy fast fill and drain times.  lol

26 minutes ago, Mardimus said:

I'm impressed with the cleanliness of that bay.  Wow.  So it looks like my best option is to go 1 inch hose and some reversible pumps and start reorganizing my setup.  I'm pulling it out of the water this weekend as I'm having some "typical" Power Wedge actuator issues (sigh).  So ill start playing with a new pump system and how it might all come together.  any thoughts on pumps you recommend.  I want crazy fast fill and drain times.  lol

With that in mind, you have only one option.  2 should fill 800s in like 6 mins.  They pull power like crazy, but worth it IMO.

https://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-king-reversible-pump.html

I have been running the Johnson Ultra pumps for ~5 years, with zero problems, and pretty fast fill times.  Not 6 mins fast, but prob around 8 mins for my 750's.  I'm sure others here have exact fill times.

@Mardimus... The 800 and 1100 pirhana pumps have .75 inlet, the 800 has .75 outlet and the 1100 has 1 1/8 outlet. You can simply upgrade to 1100 fill by changing the pump out, then increase your line to 1 1/8, and update the fill inlet on the tank to 1 1/8 as well. I have done this, you can get the fill inlet from Ace. 

Both styles have benifits and drawbacks...

57 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I have been running the Johnson Ultra pumps for ~5 years, with zero problems, and pretty fast fill times.  Not 6 mins fast, but prob around 8 mins for my 750's.  I'm sure others here have exact fill times.

Ill look at those too. Putting together a comparison now to see what will work and what tube sizes, lengths I will need. This is great info. Thank you 

6 minutes ago, Mardimus said:

Ill look at those too. Putting together a comparison now to see what will work and what tube sizes, lengths I will need. This is great info. Thank you 

Oh, and yes, 1"+plumbing is key

Edited by Brodie
29 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

@Mardimus... The 800 and 1100 pirhana pumps have .75 inlet, the 800 has .75 outlet and the 1100 has 1 1/8 outlet. You can simply upgrade to 1100 fill by changing the pump out, then increase your line to 1 1/8, and update the fill inlet on the tank to 1 1/8 as well. I have done this, you can get the fill inlet from Ace. 

Both styles have benifits and drawbacks...

Thank you. Yes I looked at the 1100s and noticed the tube size difference. I’m glad you chinned in as I was hoping someone would touch on the piranha 1100s. I’m thinking about purchasing one to see how it would work out. They are cheaper than the 800’s (weird).  And I’m onay with dropping some coin on the jabsco’s  But want to make sure I do this right the first time and we’ll organized. I noticed a leak last night in the y valve to fill the fly highs in the lockers so I’ll have to go through that and seems like a good opportunity to upgrade all of it. I’ll know more when I get it out of the water this weekend. Thanks 

@Mardimus, I think I just bought the last 2 Lenco wegde actuator motors I could find off of Ebay. Mine started acting kind of whimpy (sagging when not in use) last summer and this year (990 hours, cant complain) they are slacking every chance they get. Will let you know the outcome.

2 hours ago, Mardimus said:

Thank you. Yes I looked at the 1100s and noticed the tube size difference. I’m glad you chinned in as I was hoping someone would touch on the piranha 1100s. I’m thinking about purchasing one to see how it would work out. They are cheaper than the 800’s (weird).  And I’m onay with dropping some coin on the jabsco’s  But want to make sure I do this right the first time and we’ll organized. I noticed a leak last night in the y valve to fill the fly highs in the lockers so I’ll have to go through that and seems like a good opportunity to upgrade all of it. I’ll know more when I get it out of the water this weekend. Thanks 

Some things to think about.   

1. Aerators require 1 pump on each side of the bag, so 2x the pumps and hose youll need. 

2. Aerators can run dry and it wont hurt them, reversibles, not so much.  You can hear them when theyre dry, but run them for 5 mins dry accidentally and youll need some new impellers. 

3. The easy way with reversibles goes out the same way as in vs over the side like aerators.  You decide if thats good or bad.  

A couple good how tos for you. 

1 hour ago, wdr said:

@Mardimus, I think I just bought the last 2 Lenco wegde actuator motors I could find off of Ebay. Mine started acting kind of whimpy (sagging when not in use) last summer and this year (990 hours, cant complain) they are slacking every chance they get. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks. I’ll have to pull them to see what’s really going on. Let me know what you find out. Cheers

12 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Some things to think about.   

1. Aerators require 1 pump on each side of the bag, so 2x the pumps and hose youll need. 

2. Aerators can run dry and it wont hurt them, reversibles, not so much.  You can hear them when theyre dry, but run them for 5 mins dry accidentally and youll need some new impellers. 

3. The easy way with reversibles goes out the same way as in vs over the side like aerators.  You decide if thats good or bad.  

A couple good how tos for you. 

Thank you for the links. And good info on aerators.  Didn’t even cross my mind to be honest. Thanks. I’m goign to put some drawings together and parts list soon here shortly. I’ll add them here as soon as I get them going. I Have a lot of research to do.