Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Season coming to an eary end.

Sixball

Our season will be ending early this year. Our lake and the other three on our chain are going to be drawn down for FERC inspections.  Looks like I will be out before the 10th next month.  Its a bummer but not as bad as it could be. Skiing is at its best very early and late in the season. My season was going to end early this year regardless. I need to have some surgery. I still looked forward to driving for the rest of the ski group but its not going to happen. Could be more time in  the woods  this fall. :(  FERC is inspecting the Dams.

• 1 month later...

Well this could be the last day for the year for me! We did need to start late today with fog but got glass!  So Monday we found out the dam owner lost his license and will need to shut down the power house on the dam. With out the license the lake has no law to keep water depth. The lake level was set by Federal Energy Regulatory Agency. With out that he can run what ever he see as safe. He can open the gates and drop eight feet of water. That would make the lake nearly useless. We are working on a court order to keep the lake level FERC has set. We do anticipate getting it done before spring.  The dam owner is total A$$ so this should be an exciting very busy winter.  Thinking we will be in court for the next five to ten years. He needs to appeal his loss before   Oct. 10.  If he can't generate power he can't afford keeping the dams going.  

We are looking at friendly takeover but it does not look good. So other ways are being looked at. In the end the lake property owners will take the hit most likely. We are trying to do engineering study's now to find out the cost of keeping the power making dam or just A reservoir.  We, the lake association, have known this was coming down the road and we have been doing work now for many years.  Our biggest job now is raising funds to fight and do the work in front of us.  We will be spending time in court so money is being spent. This lake covers five townships, two county's. We were going to have A dam inspection starting the first but don't know if that will happen now. We have three other lakes in a chain that will be affected at some point. Two also have power making dams and are due to be inspected also starting the first of Oct. The dam owner has been failing to bring some of the dams up to the FERC standards for seventeen years now. 

2 hours ago, Sixball said:

Looks like the lake has started to come down. 8" lower this morning.

Time to hire some beavers!

How far down do they have to take the lake?  Is there still any way to launch and retrieve on what's left or is it too low or too soft?

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Time to hire some beavers!

How far down do they have to take the lake?  Is there still any way to launch and retrieve on what's left or is it too low or too soft?

I am not sure about running the lake at low water levels. They are going to take it down four feet. This being a flooding I know we have some stumps or may be half cut off trees. I have two tree tops out in front of my place that is in 25' water that you can stand on the tops and its about 4' deep. We put a young man holding a young girl on his shoulders and pulled the boat way back and other boats ran past for 20 minutes before A jet ski stopped and asked whats the trick!

• Like 2

I haven't taken the cover off my boat since mid-late July.  I grabbed the trailer tonight and we are pulling it out for the season at the end of this weekend.  My house remodel is killing me!

I have never been out this early. I should have 30 to 50 days to go.  I won't be cold pulling and cleaning things up. More often then not even the docks at the launch are out before us.