Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Launch Pads

chathamsolutions

Hey.

I got the V Drive SL Launch Pads as a gift and need a solid pump. I know nothing about pumps.

I see on the box for the Pads SL advertises a pump that's 1,000 GPH. I think the one we've been using is 500 GPH - so that'd be good :)

Any tips?

Thanks!

I've got a pair of fat buddies that I use and I fill them with the 1100 GPH pump they sell. It works great,here's a link to the pump

SKYLON 1100

I couldn't see spending another 100 on a pump that is only 900 gph more.

I picked up an 1100 gph pump at a local store (GI Joes) during the winter for only $35 I tested it out on a 5 gallon bucket of water and it drained it in 30 seconds. It works just fine with my two 550lb. sacs.

OK - have been thinking about the whole 'sac' thing the last 24 hours.

The 350lbs SL Launch Pads would work really well in my application. But the are 'coverless' - I 'd really like to have sacs that have covers on them. Considering I'll be moving them from locker to locker and also scrunching them up when I store them, etc. I really think a cover is the way to go.

So, I'm going to take them back and buy the 440lbs covered SL sacs. Sac LINK

I'll close that purchase out - it's free shipping. I'll then use the $19 credit toward the purchase of the SL 1100 GPH pump pump LINK. That'll give me a nice discount on the whole thing.

Anyone see any holes in what I'm doing?

I need the space. 4 kids and generally another family is with us on the boat. I need to locker space.

And me and my family are goofy while all our other friends are regular. I'd like to get as much weight on the boarding side as possible. With the portable bags I can do this.

Unless you think their's a way to T the existing pumps so I can pump the portable bags...

chathamsolutions, are you using the new sacs a extra ballast along with built in ballast?

Why can't you tee off of the built in pumps. When you are not using it, put a cap on the tee.

or,

That same pump you have on the link is the same pump on e-bay. The e-bay pump has a 1" vinyl line on it instead of that harder plastic one. I got mine for $59 winning bid last year.

Ya, there's built in ballast.

I'm too stupid to know how to T off the existing pumps. Unless I had someone show me to do to it without messing things up.

- There's the problem, Im sure I'd screw things up.

To have things movable, changeable would be a benefit. Having the flexibility today is a good thing. And maybe T off later.

Problem with the one on ebay - I really wanted to try and get it this week. Maybe I'll email the guy and ask him if he'll sell one to me, like 'Buy it Now'.

Ya, there's built in ballast.

I'm too stupid to know how to T off the existing pumps.  Unless I had someone show me to do to it without messing things up. 

- There's the problem, Im sure I'd screw things up. 

To have things movable, changeable would be a benefit.  Having the flexibility today is a good thing.  And maybe T off later. 

You just need to track down the line out from the pump that leads to the built in ballast, splice in a "T" for the size line you have, and on the new line to the extra sacs, you could have a PVC-to-garden hose fitting that you can cap with a garden hose cap. I used them on my removable fat sacs. They are tight, they do not fall off, they don't leak, and they are cheap $$.

Problem with the one on ebay - I really wanted to try and get it this week.  Maybe I'll email the guy and ask him if he'll sell one to me, like 'Buy it Now'.

That is exactly what I did for mine. I got it in less than a week.

I had thought of making some carpeted and padded boxes for the bladders to go in for next to the engine in my DD. This way people can walk on them, sit on them, even lay in the sun on them. That way they are still removable when empty. I can have the fill/drain hook up on the outside of the box, I think. I need to experiment a little.