Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Tower cracked

Drake

I recently purchased a VLX and the tower is cracked. I have read that this is a common thing and wanted to see if it can be fixed. If it cant be fixed I wanted to see what is the best option for getting it replaced. Thanks for all the help. 

Do you have a Illusion X or XS?  The company who manufactured those (Metcraft) no longer exists.  Depending where the crack is I'd try to get it repaired first if possible.  These towers are known for several issues so replacing is going to be pricy and you will probably end up this or other issues down the road if you can even find one.  Depending on what hull you have you could upgrade to a G3 but it's going to cost you...a lot. Search this site of illusion X issues...you will find a lot of reading material. 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, CCP said:

Would love to hear what your solution to this ultimately was. I have a 2007 Wakesetter 23 LSV, and just discovered a pretty significant structural crack on the port side. Not looking forward to the repair/replacement bills.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12cqaKAHOm41XR3yZTAVPtny4Y279icgJ/view?usp=sharing

Yikes.  And FAQ me!  That is a nasty crack for sure (oh so many jokes to make; so little time).  I don' think that would be repairable as IIRC these were cast towers?  Little wonder Metcraft went belly-up.

I had an 07 LSV that got a crack in the original tower.  Since it's cast, I didn't feel confident of comfortable getting it welded.  I had the option to purchase a new tower, but I upgraded to a G3.  It pricey, but may be your only option now.  I now there is another company that still makes the tower, but the name isn't coming to me right now.  Do a quick search and you'll find the company name.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, calilsv said:

I had an 07 LSV that got a crack in the original tower.  Since it's cast, I didn't feel confident of comfortable getting it welded.  I had the option to purchase a new tower, but I upgraded to a G3.  It pricey, but may be your only option now.  I now there is another company that still makes the tower, but the name isn't coming to me right now.  Do a quick search and you'll find the company name.

how did you find the g3 just take it to the dealer? how much did it cost you in all? installation and everything?

I had significant cracks in both sides of my tower. Had it welded, and a structural cornr crossbar added to each side for like $600. I sold that boat to someone on here actually I'd be surprised if it wasn't still going. The only issue is getting it repowdercoated if you care about that. I didn't obviously.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:30 PM, exoticaxstin said:

how did you find the g3 just take it to the dealer? how much did it cost you in all? installation and everything?

I'll say it wasn't cheap, and that was like 8 years ago.  You're looking at easily over 10k once you add everything like Bimini, racks, and mirror if you have one.

The best thing you can do is find a model with the g3 that has the same beam as yours and then try finding a dealer to order you one.  I had no problems getting it ordered, but have read on here its not that easy a anymore.  Also not sure you can even get a g3 anymore, may need too step up to a g3.5. 

I didn't want to weld on my tower back then because the boat was fairly new, and I didn't feel confident having it welded.  If it was today I might have a different opinion due to price.

Edited by calilsv
  • Like 1

Wow... CCP that crack is much worse than mine... Mine is just a smaller hairline and it is higher up on the tower... I replied in my post, but I am hoping that mine can be welded and OK... We used the boat the rest of the summer and probably another 4 or 5 weekends and never noticed a change in the crack. I was told that Xtreme towers had bought the molds or something... But I tried both calling and emailing and never got a response from them..