Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

interior repairs needed on mxz

I need some advice on interior repairs for my 2012 MXZ. This has been my first Malibu "coming from Mastercraft" and pretty much every seat bottom that is in a travel zone has deteriorated. Most of the damage has been in the lower section of the seats between the top and the base. The boat has only 500 hours on it and while I keep my seats wiped down and conditioned regularly with the boat stored inside year round I still have these issues. Not fussing just stating my issue.

Is this a fairly common occurrence or am I doing something wrong here and if not where are people buying their covers? 

11 hours ago, oldstv said:

I need some advice on interior repairs for my 2012 MXZ. This has been my first Malibu "coming from Mastercraft" and pretty much every seat bottom that is in a travel zone has deteriorated. Most of the damage has been in the lower section of the seats between the top and the base. The boat has only 500 hours on it and while I keep my seats wiped down and conditioned regularly with the boat stored inside year round I still have these issues. Not fussing just stating my issue.

Is this a fairly common occurrence or am I doing something wrong here and if not where are people buying their covers? 

May be to late but I just bought two new rear covers from malibu. I think they get rid of the patterns after so many years though. That’s why I went ahead and got both rears. I think it’s normal because that’s where people step Down into every time they get in the boat. And it’s always confined to a small area the size of your foot. If the load was spread out more I don’t think the issue would be as bad. 

35 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Curious. The fabric having the problem, is it plasticy silver with a carbon fiber type texture?  

That is where mine failed.. but I got closer to 900 hours before it started.. My mechanic stated this material you are refering to does not hold up well... everything elses is great on them... I can't complain for 900hrs of usage on 8 year old boat.. but that is where my current failure point is and it looks like next season the rear deck..

5 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

That is where mine failed.. but I got closer to 900 hours before it started.. My mechanic stated this material you are refering to does not hold up well... everything elses is great on them... I can't complain for 900hrs of usage on 8 year old boat.. but that is where my current failure point is and it looks like next season the rear deck..

Mine has just over 300 hours and that material is cracking and failing on my 3 back seats at the corners.  All the actual vinyl is good. 

2 hours ago, oldstv said:

Thanks for that reply Padge. Do you by any chance remember who you spoke to at Malibu and possibly a phone number? 

I spoke to a lady that does their vinyl. If you call and tell them what you are after they should lead you to the right person. But it does have to able order through a dealer. You can’t order it direct from malibu 

Mine is failing in those areas you described but down on the sides where the seat compresses is the majority of the failure. The boat is near perfect condition inside and out but for the seat bottoms and it kills me to look at it any longer.

I am going to be selling it between this year and the start of next and with this being my only issue it makes sense to put the money into making it look as good as the rest of the boat.