Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BlackSheep

Chipped Surf Gate

Recommended Posts

BlackSheep

New Malibu owner, 9.5 hours, and we somehow chipped the surf gate.  It is a small chip on the top outside edge.  I am anal about my stuff so this has to get address one way or another.

Options...

1.  See if I can get a new surf gate from our dealer.  Anyone had to replace a (1) surf gate and know what they cost?

2.  It seems like the outside is plastic and the inside is fiberglass or some kind of composite.  I was thinking of using JB Weld to fill the hole, sand, and paint.  Anyone now for sure what the outside is made of?

3.  Other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK

1 - No idea on cost

2- They are fiberglass with gelcoat. 

3-You could send them to any of the gelcoat guys that do Malibu repairs and they can handle it.  Where are you located?  If you get on the malibu boat owners page on FB, look for Shane Coffman.  He used to work at Malibu and does fantastic work.  You could ship it to him and he could repair it and send it back.

https://m.facebook.com/TheBoatWorks/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boardjnky4

You can get Gelcoat repair kits from Spectrum, that are color matched. If you are handy, it can be an easy DIY repair. Otherwise, take it to a Gelcoat repair shop and they can repair it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikeo

When I asked Malibu for a price to replace mine (I wanted to a different color than the swim platform) I was told the pair was $800 without the "bling".

The SurfGate "paddles" are fiberglass with gelcoat finish, the same as your boat. I didn't see it specifically, but I understand that they're part of the same mold as the swim platform (therefore the reason they have to be the same color as the swim platform). You need at least a gelcoat repair, if not a fiberglass repair.

I see two paths forward:

1. Fill the chip with a fiberglass filler such as SolarEz that is also used to repair surfboards, then cover it with gelcoat repair material
SoalrEz: https://smile.amazon.com/Solarez-Cure-Epoxy-Ding-Repair/dp/B0007UC4MU/ref=sr_1_3
Gelcoat: https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/ 

2. Take the chipped "paddle" to a reputable fiberglass/gelcoat shop that will repair it for you. It's small enough you could ship it if you wanted to. I've used Smooth As Glass in Riverbank, CA; Their work looks better than some of the areas Malibu built at the factory.

BTW: Pictures help with advice.

Edited by mikeo
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boardjnky4
43 minutes ago, mikeo said:

When I asked Malibu for a price to replace mine (I wanted to a different color than the swim platform) I was told the pair was $800 without the "bling".

The SurfGate "paddles" are fiberglass with gelcoat finish, the same as your boat. I didn't see it specifically, but I understand that they're part of the same mold as the swim platform (therefore the reason they have to be the same color as the swim platform). You need at least a gelcoat repair, if not a fiberglass repair.

I see two paths forward:

1. Fill the chip with a fiberglass filler such as SolarEz that is also used to repair surfboards, then cover it with gelcoat repair material
SoalrEz: https://smile.amazon.com/Solarez-Cure-Epoxy-Ding-Repair/dp/B0007UC4MU/ref=sr_1_3
Gelcoat: https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/ 

2. Take the chipped "paddle" to a reputable fiberglass/gelcoat shop that will repair it for you. It's small enough you could ship it if you wanted to. I've used Smooth As Glass in Riverbank, CA; Their work looks better than some of the areas Malibu built at the factory.

BTW: Pictures help with advice.

You don't need to fill it with anything if you use the Gelcoat patch paste repair kit. The link you sent to is mostly just straight gelcoat, not repair paste.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/paint-and-maintenance/fiberglass-and-epoxy-boat-repair/boat-gel-coat-repair.html?find=malibu-10538480&finder=26

Edited by boardjnky4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackSheep

Thanks for the responses.  Glad I didn't just go with the plastic assumption and asked the question.  Below are a few links to pictures.

I am in Northern California and a little handy.  That being the case, I may just give the gelcoat repair a shot.  Sounds like doing it myself or sending it to an expert would be the most economical way to go.  You can see from the pictures that the gelcoat took the brunt and not the underlying fiberglass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MkZFpYgLqwt7pdrEA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D1riEN9iZpbvQvtk9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malibuskier2003

Depending on how anal you are, here's my experience.  My boat was delivered with 1 gate having about a quarter size ding in the top edge.  The swim deck was also damaged.  While we waited for the replacements, our dealer fixed the ding and we used the boat.  Both have flake in them.  Our dealers gel coat guy is awesome, but you could  clearly see where the repair was.  I'd say, no flake - go for it.  If it has flake, pay someone so you have someone to complain to.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackSheep

Thanks Dave.  I believe I am dealing with straight dark blue (no flake).  I will give it a shot and if the results aren't acceptable, send it to a professional.  This way I can get some sleep :).

Ordered all the materials thanks to the responses and a few youtube vidoes.  Thanks again everyone for the responses.  I will post the post repair pictures when finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
10 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

You can get Gelcoat repair kits from Spectrum, that are color matched. If you are handy, it can be an easy DIY repair. Otherwise, take it to a Gelcoat repair shop and they can repair it.

This all day... I repaired a chip in my black hull on my 2015.  After I was done it was impossible to find the chip.  It really is not that difficult and the Spectrum kits are only $30. 

There are plenty of you tube videos out there that will walk you through the entire process.

Edited by Fman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffK

That looks like it could be an air void.  I'd speak with my dealer first if I were you.

7 hours ago, BlackSheep said:

Thanks Dave.  I believe I am dealing with straight dark blue (no flake).  I will give it a shot and if the results aren't acceptable, send it to a professional.  This way I can get some sleep :).

Ordered all the materials thanks to the responses and a few youtube vidoes.  Thanks again everyone for the responses.  I will post the post repair pictures when finished.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
On 8/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, BlackSheep said:

Thanks for the responses.  Glad I didn't just go with the plastic assumption and asked the question.  Below are a few links to pictures.

I am in Northern California and a little handy.  That being the case, I may just give the gelcoat repair a shot.  Sounds like doing it myself or sending it to an expert would be the most economical way to go.  You can see from the pictures that the gelcoat took the brunt and not the underlying fiberglass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MkZFpYgLqwt7pdrEA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D1riEN9iZpbvQvtk9

After looking at your pic that looks like an easy fix.  You could also just take it to a gel shop guessing prob $100 or less to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
5 hours ago, BlackSheep said:

Thanks again for all the help.

Need another coat, sanding, and polishing but it is looking much better,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/of5tDSfDhtq5jLbK9

Mcguirers ultimate compound is great to use after you hit it with 1500-2000 grit.  Have had great success with that product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O7PNNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZRHJBbGTJDMN4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...