Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations on what to keep in boat

Rippers

We just got a 2004 Malibu Response LXi.  We love it and have been using it quite a bit!  Normally, we use the boat on our home lake, but recently we've been taking it to different lakes/rivers and intend to keep doing so.  Not being a huge engines guy, I'm curious what recommendations you might have for things to keep in the boat to help avoid getting stuck?  For example, from some of the reading I've done... I've seen that keeping a spare impeller is a good idea.  Appreciate any advice!  Thanks

Spare impeller, prop, and a toolkit to change both.  There is a prop bag+tools kit that is super convenient.

Extra tools, hose clamps, fuses, and a bilge plug.  Knife capeable of cutting a rope wrapped around your prop... And some goggles for doing it in the middle of the lake.

First aid kit.  Koozies, beer, water, and chips.

That should just about have you covered 👍

Also, knowing how to change the impeller or prop is just as important as having a spare with you. I recommend practicing in the garage/driveway on your own time just to get familiar with it!

• Like 1

I run on our lake 99.9% of the time but I still keep a full tool set and some emergency things.  Some wire, tie wraps, duct tape, rags things like that. I don't carry A prop or impeller but I am never that far from home.

With the waterways filling up with more chuckle heads every year we have seen a pretty steep increase in boating accidents in my area. For that reason and the availability to have it restocked I have a pretty good medical bag on board. For the average Joe I would suggest the usual stuff to fix boo boo’s and pain relievers. Allergy season has been 247, 365 this year so we look like Walgreens in the glove box, but it has saved a couple days for us. 

Funny...I barely carry anything.  Bandages are a must though - I've had some bleeders on the boat recently, me being one of them.  Snagged my hand on a hose clamp spending 15 minutes to fix something I could have done in 15 seconds had I simply looked harder.  Then I put new fins on my old board and those freaking things are sharp.

Honestly, besides band-aids, screwdrivers are about the only thing I've ever needed.  I carry a socket set I've never used.  Never carried an impeller.  

Carry the tools used for whatever you’re competent enough to fix on the water and a first aid kit. I keep a spare impeller because I don’t want a trip ruined. But if you don’t know how to change it then it’s not much good. 

37 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Funny...I barely carry anything.  Bandages are a must though - I've had some bleeders on the boat recently, me being one of them.  Snagged my hand on a hose clamp spending 15 minutes to fix something I could have done in 15 seconds had I simply looked harder.  Then I put new fins on my old board and those freaking things are sharp.

Honestly, besides band-aids, screwdrivers are about the only thing I've ever needed.  I carry a socket set I've never used.  Never carried an impeller.  

One of our ski group took a big fall and ended up with a spiral Fracture lower leg. The boat we were skiing had no tools.  So we could not get his foot out of his bindings . We ended up putting him on the back of the boat with the ski on the swim deck. Got him back to one of the guy's house. I ended up taking the binding off the ski and dismantled it to remove his foot. Sure wish we had some screw drivers then. Then I asked him if he would like to get out of his almost new dry suit. You know how they remove things at emergency!  A lot of dish soap and water he was out. and off to the hospital.  I should carry more first-aid then I do.

I have a full tool kit on my boat because sometimes we take trips on larger lakes plus it's less climbing in and out when I'm doing regular maintenance at home.  I have a first aid kit and a jump box that I've only ever used on other boats luckily.  I also have a cheap tow strap from amazon so I can not abuse other lines in case of a tow.  Our first summer with the Malibu we towed 5 or 6 dead boats.  I bought the strap and we haven't had to tow anyone since.  I forget the size but you need a nut driver for hose clamps in your tool kit.  It will change your life.  Much better than a socket or screwdriver or wrench for removing hose clamps.