Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub opinions?

Padge

My fosgate sub took a crap and gonna have to replace with something. Thinking about wetsounds 12” free air. Anyone have any experience with one? Or what would someone suggest? Will I need to change the stock amp?  I know if I went xxx I def would have to re amp. Rather use the amp I have. Just wanting opinions. 

Ill start with the basics. A single voice coil 4 ohm or dual voice coil 2 ohm would be the configuration you want to go with, in order to retain the existing amp.

Next, you wont want to go with a free-air of infinite-baffle woofer. So go with the 12" "HP" version, and yes, it comes as single 4 ohm, so it would work fine with your amp and allow for a future amp later if you wanted to push it to its potential. The 2012 LSV does not have a complete helm wall, as its open at the top. This prevents 100% front to rear isolation. Air off the back of the woofer would bleed over the top of the wall into the air coming off the front. This is not ideal. So you want a woofer designed for a small enclosure, and then build that enclosure. What ever you do, do not reuse the factory "box". 

My RF sub died a year or so ago and I replaced it with this:

I also sealed the factory box up better with silicone/flexiseal/bedliner and it helped some.

Recently I installed the Qbomb box, Exile Javelin amp (runs sub and in-boats), and a Kicker Comp 12" DVC 4 ohm and it made a huge difference! I will eventually either install the Wetsounds sub or probably purchase a Exile sub to replace the Kicker since it is not a marine speaker. I had purchased the wrong ohm in the Kicker for another project I was working on and so had it as a spare.  Since they sound so good, I figured it would work for a little while.

Screenshot_20180526-124904_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

I will eventually either install the Wetsounds sub or probably purchase a Exile sub to replace the Kicker since it is not a marine speaker.

Its way more suited for a boat then others. Mainly because it has a 100% synthetic cone. Some, even though marketed as "marine", have a paper based cone. it also has a coated aluminum basket, not steel. Rubber surround and synthetic spider. Unless you are making a significant upgrade in amp wattage, little advantage moving to a different 12" woofer. 

Want to make a real change for nothing more then your time and some raw materials? Toss the factory thing "box" and build a custom ported enclosure for the woofer you already have. That would be like doubling the amp wattage to it.  

I have a jl 750/1 I could put on a xxx but then my rev 10’s would need another amp lol. I guess I go to the dealer tomorrow to check on the xs-12. He normally gives me great deals on stereo equipment. 

Would I need a 4 or 2 ohm? I used to be into stereos back in my younger days but it’s been awhile lol

Just now, Padge said:

Would I need a 4 or 2 ohm? I used to be into stereos back in my younger days but it’s been awhile lol

The XS-12 is a single voice coil so if using the stock RF amp, 4 ohms is what you will need.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

I have a jl 750/1 I could put on a xxx but then my rev 10’s would need another amp lol. I guess I go to the dealer tomorrow to check on the xs-12. He normally gives me great deals on stereo equipment. 

Thats a beast of a woofer, but if you are limited with 750W rms, the 12HP would be the better choice IMO. Now, if your long game is to drive the XXX with 1500W or so and upgrade the amp later, then yes, go with the XXX now. 

and yes, 4 ohm final impedance would be the configuration you want if you keep the existing amp. See my first post.