Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

USG vest extremes - O'Neill Reactor vs Ronix Parks Capella

67King

Anyone tried both of these?  I know, long shot.  Have a Parks One comp vest, it is a tad on the big side.  Ended up looking for similar alternatives, and read some horror stories, so I'm looking at CGA vests.  The O'Neill seems pretty popular on here, and it is substantially less expensive.  But I'm almost afraid that that means it is cheap.  Anyone tried both, or a similiar O'Neill and a similar high end vest that can give some feedback?  

Buddy just bought a new Ronix CGA.  Its a bit bulky around the gut IMO.  I'm sure it would be great for surfing, but crunching over on a front roll could be a bit impacted  Not sure on the Reactor, but I @MustGoFast did have a less bulky CGA that he may be able to recommend.

Thanks for the quick replies.  Should mention I liked the athletic cut of the non-CGA one I have.  I'm pretty fit, regular cut stuff doesn't fit me well.  Anything loose in the lower torso is going to suck.  I haven't seen any CGA vests described as having an athletic cut, though.

• Like 2

My son has a bit on athletic build (6-5, 180) and uses an X-vest, stays on him well. I've found many of the better board jackets are more of an athletic cut, I guess they just figure...

Cool, thanks guys.  I'm 5'8", about 160.  About a 39" chest, 30" waist.  Shoulders are wide for my size, they'd take a 42 if it weren't loose everywhere else.  I went by the MC dealer who has a small pro shop today.  They had a surprising selection, MUCH bigger than the last time I was there a few years ago.  Tried on a couple of Ronix ones, the Parks and Forrester.  Very similar fit, tighter than expected, but the large was too big.  Radar Encore didn't fit so well, they didn't have the X.  The best one that fit me that they had was actually a Liquid Force Hinge (NOT the Classic).  The main salesguy there was not in today, so I may go back and talk to him about a few things.

Keep any tips coming.

17 hours ago, 67King said:

Cool, thanks guys.  I'm 5'8", about 160.  About a 39" chest, 30" waist.  Shoulders are wide for my size, they'd take a 42 if it weren't loose everywhere else.  I went by the MC dealer who has a small pro shop today.  They had a surprising selection, MUCH bigger than the last time I was there a few years ago.  Tried on a couple of Ronix ones, the Parks and Forrester.  Very similar fit, tighter than expected, but the large was too big.  Radar Encore didn't fit so well, they didn't have the X.  The best one that fit me that they had was actually a Liquid Force Hinge (NOT the Classic).  The main salesguy there was not in today, so I may go back and talk to him about a few things.

Keep any tips coming.

I interested to see what you find. I'm 5'7" 153. Broad shoulders and only a 29 waist. By the time I get a vest to fit my shoulders, its too big in abdomen.

1 hour ago, MystiikVLX said:

I interested to see what you find. I'm 5'7" 153. Broad shoulders and only a 29 waist. By the time I get a vest to fit my shoulders, its too big in abdomen.

I was surprised with the afore mentioned Liquid Force, you might see if you can find one of those to fit.  If you are down here on Norris, the place I went to is American Boat Center in the Farragut (west Knoxville) area.  Probably 45 minutes from the Norris exit on 75.  You and I have the same problem.  I have to have my nice clothes (suits, dress shirts) tailor made.  Since the vests don't have shoulders, the yoke isn't as big of a deal.  Most of the (medium) vests I tried were really tight in the ribcage in the sternum area.  Most things that fit me there were, as you doubtlessly know, were like a dress in my lower abdomen.

I started using a Ronix Covert Capella last spring and it has been the best vest I’ve had. I was adamant about having a CGA vest and this was one of the few that I liked the look of.

I’m about 6 foot 200lb with wide(ish) shoulders and a 42” chest. I ordered a medium (upper limit is a 40” chest) and it fits great. I like the tighter fit so it doesn’t ride up and it is long enough to fit my longer torso. Hasn’t had any impact on my ability to crunch for a front roll or reach around for a handle pass. 

On 8/10/2018 at 8:58 AM, onwi said:

Buddy just bought a new Ronix CGA.  Its a bit bulky around the gut IMO.  I'm sure it would be great for surfing, but crunching over on a front roll could be a bit impacted  Not sure on the Reactor, but I @MustGoFast did have a less bulky CGA that he may be able to recommend.

Yeah I bought a Liquid Force Watson this year about as sleek of a jacket I could find in CGA I like it a lot.

I’d give it a shot. In the early summer you can get screaming deals on NICE Hyperlite vests at Costco. USCG for $40. They probably aren’t selling that stuff anymore this year though.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, MustGoFast said:

Yeah I bought a Liquid Force Watson this year about as sleek of a jacket I could find in CGA I like it a lot.

It must be nice cause it’s the exact same price $130 EVERYWHERE ONLINE.  Not on sale anywhere and even if $130 is not msrp , same price indicates demand is high, my CGA Hyperlite hatch side entry is shedding all of its graphic design print and the actual shoulder straps  at shoulders are deteriorating and starting to leave black non permanent  remnants on back hatch covers,  nice jacket( a bit bulky) and it was on sale 

$130 decent price, must be a new model to not be on sale this late

i really believe in CGA even for surfing, especially surfing cause you separate from your “floaty”

wife has a super cool leopard print glidesoul comp vest and matching top and shorts, but we use it not too often even though it looks fantastic , basically cause we’re paranoid, it’s usually only us in boat, last thing we need is a face down knocked out me and only the wife to recognize I’m knocked out, drive boat back quickly, jump in water with no anchor set, rescue me , turn me over , get me breathing in water or haul me up with no flotation on to swim platform and then drive boat to a rescue , NO THANKS 

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

It must be nice cause it’s the exact same price $130 EVERYWHERE ONLINE.  Not on sale anywhere and even if $130 is not msrp , same price indicates demand is high, my CGA Hyperlite hatch side entry is shedding all of its graphic design print and the actual shoulder straps  at shoulders are deteriorating and starting to leave black non permanent  remnants on back hatch covers,  nice jacket( a bit bulky) and it was on sale 

https://www.wakemakers.com/liquid-force-watson-cga-wakeboard-vest.html

12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

i really believe in CGA even for surfing, especially surfing cause you separate from your “floaty”

wife has a super cool leopard print glidesoul comp vest and matching top and shorts, but we use it not too often even though it looks fantastic , basically cause we’re paranoid, it’s usually only us in boat, last thing we need is a face down knocked out me and only the wife to recognize I’m knocked out, drive boat back quickly, jump in water with no anchor set, rescue me , turn me over , get me breathing in water or haul me up with no flotation on to swim platform and then drive boat to a rescue , NO THANKS 

Yeah I got a killer deal from my local during a special (30% off so the net was like 90 and felt good about that).

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, MustGoFast said:

How was the fit? I am 5'-7" 150, 29" waist and somewhere in between small and medium chest size.  I have one medium hyperlite that fits well but gets taken by my son and the other mediums tend to ride up while floating in the water.  I am debating on the small but want to still be able to breathe some.

37 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

How was the fit? I am 5'-7" 150, 29" waist and somewhere in between small and medium chest size.  I have one medium hyperlite that fits well but gets taken by my son and the other mediums tend to ride up while floating in the water.  I am debating on the small but want to still be able to breathe some.

Try nylon like this https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Superlite-Black-graphite-yellow/dp/B01GN2YXQK/  IMHO they are much more comfortable.  I'm about the same size and just pull the (nylon) vest down after getting up - or you can get another Hyperlite, although I really don't like neoprene.  We use these for floating around https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KACJWSY/

I have an O'Neill Revenge that I love.  CGA, hidden buckles, and long enough for me (I'm 6'3" and hate short jackets).  Unfortunately, they no longer make it and I've lost a little weight since getting it, so it's a tad on the big side for me.

My buddy from out of town bought a Liquid Force, I believe the Watson, and I really like the fit of it.  He is a little shorter than me but a decently built dude and it fits him well.  One to try on for sure or even take a gamble on.  Just wished it had hidden buckles...just a personal preference.

40 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I have an O'Neill Revenge that I love.  CGA, hidden buckles, and long enough for me (I'm 6'3" and hate short jackets).  Unfortunately, they no longer make it and I've lost a little weight since getting it, so it's a tad on the big side for me.

I love my Revenge and the hidden buckles as well.  I am not as tall but have a long torso and appreciate the length.  It is getting a bit long in the tooth but this ronix is advertised as being a couple of inches longer than standard.

https://www.evo.com/wakeboard-vests/ronix-one-capella-20-cga-vest#image=131310/540559/ronix-one-capella-2-0-cga-wakeboard-vest-2018-black-man-mint.jpg

I think is the nature of a CGA to ride up some.  It seems if they are shorter on the torso it makes it worse.  If the bottom buckle is lower they can snug up a bit better.  It is such a hard thing to dry fit, it is best to buy where you can return for at least store credit.

On 9/4/2018 at 1:55 PM, jwl019 said:

I think they run a bit larger than size so try the smaller if your between sizes and want snug.