Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Upgrade questions - '07 247 LSV

SDTony

My family and I have always been wakeboarders, but it only took one run for my wife to go ropeless on a wake surfboard before she said, "Yeah, I like that. Do what you have to do to make the ballast faster and more automated." Keep in mind, it was her first run EVER when she was able to go ropeless. I tried for an entire day before with little, to no success. The day after her, with my competitiveness at full tilt, I was able to go ropeless for several minutes. What a great feeling! I was so skeptical of this new-fangled surfing craze!

Now, on to the questions.

1. Am I able to add the factory bow ballast hard tank to my '07 247 LSV? Mine didn't come with this option. And first, is it even possible, second, is it worth the trouble? To the extent I can, I want to keep as much of the ballast under the floor and out of sight. Is the bow hard tank under the floor?

2. Do you recommend the WakeMakers piggy-back system? (https://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-wakesurf-ballast-system.html)    On this recent trip, we filled up a bag on each side (unsure of the size.....came with the boat when we bought it) with an external pump. Filling isn't really the problem, it's the emptying. What a pain. These were older style bags / pump, so just the old waterbed type fittings.

3. What would be a good ballast set up for my boat? I was running my MLS full (factory center full, both rear full, an extra sac on each side - let's call them 400# each since they filled up about half the storage area and a wake shaper - Tsunami). I tried to play with speed, wedge position and suck gate position too. I also had people move to the front of the boat, since I read my boat likes bow weight and I didn't have any.

Thanks a lot everyone, I can't wait to get this wave dialed in.

wakesurf K and Linc.png.jpg

1) depends on what the bow supports look like. If they are molded into the deck, probably not. If they are a separate carpeted piece of HDPE like mine was- yes.

2) absolutely

3) I have the VLX from that year so I can’t comment on what it takes for the 247 but you will likely need more weight. Weight in the bow will help as it lengthens the wave

Edited by svnfightsvn

I don't have a 247 but here you go:

1. The horeshoe that holds the seats is removable. 10- 12 screws and it will come out... 
    1. by the 900 lb fly high triangle for the front and plumb in (mine is on the maux switch and looks factory)
    2. build the platform to hold the seats in place
    3. You can PM me for more details if needed
  2. Not sure what you have in the rear lockers but I would go with the Sumo 900s in the rear
    1. I have the Fly High 1100 but they don't fill to 1100
  3. There is a diagram on here for making your own piggy back
    1. I upgraded fill pumps to 1100 gph, you will greatly appreciate them if you are doing a piggyback. The pirhanas are .75 on the inlet and 1 1/8 on outlet, so you don't have to change anything on the inlet side. On the outlet side, you will need to upgrade to 1 1/8 hose and change the inlet on your ballast tank (get adapter from Ace).
    2. Fill from bottom to top.. I you try to fill bag first you will air lock the hard tank
  4. My surf setup
    1. GSA (automated surf tabs)
    2. All factory ballast full (rear and mid)
    3. 1100 rear lockers full
    4. 300 under surfside coffin seat
    5. 600 - 900 in front
    6. 11 - 12. 4 mph
    7. Wedge from fully deployed to up 4 clicks (depending on rider, and surf side)

IMG_20180421_161721149_zpsgkrqlrcw.jpg

IMG_20180421_161709551_HDR_zpszsghpxys.j

IMG_20180421_173406121_HDR_zpszqgimwal.j

IMG_20180421_190416654_zps0mqwjxjx.jpg

IMG_20180421_192846963_zpsklk8ppsl.jpg

Testing was with wood.. I will changing it out and finishing off at a later date.

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, SDTony said:

Any opinion on the WakeMakers vs. Bakes piggyback systems...

Prices seem comparable

Whichever is cheapest lol. They are basically the exact same thing: fly high bags and fittings with standard 3/4” hose and clamps. I built my own piggy back system with bags I got though a classified ad for like $100 and the other parts (hose, clamps, fittings) from either bakes or wakemakers... whoever had the cheapest price. All in all I paid less than $200