Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MC owner looking at new Malibu

jdubbya81

7 hours ago, Suggy said:

Just to add this in there... I saw a sign at a boat show this winter (2018) that said Malibu was 36%, Nautique 17% and MasterCraft 16% of the market share... I can't find anything online but specifically remember these numbers. I was shocked when I saw Nautique in second.

They have been selling a ton of G series boats the last 3-5 years

14 hours ago, Suggy said:

Just to add this in there... I saw a sign at a boat show this winter (2018) that said Malibu was 36%, Nautique 17% and MasterCraft 16% of the market share... I can't find anything online but specifically remember these numbers. I was shocked when I saw Nautique in second.

Last publically released data was in 12/2017, in the MC investor presentation.....you’ll have to add axis and Bu to get total for Bu.

pretty sure the last data from Bu had Malibu/Axis at 32ish%, MC at 21%, and Nautique at 22%, but had noted that Nautique numbers included centurion and supreme. 

50A2680E-7A22-4309-88D3-C7B3F53AEEF0.png

On 8/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, Fman said:

The following response is not to bash on your NXT22 only for a comparison to the 22VLX.

Last season they had the NXT22 at the wakeboard camp my son attends every year.  He rode behind it last year (wakeboard and surf) he said the wake/wave was not a hit at the camp.   Mind you the camp uses MB boats, not Malibu.  That being said I have substantial time in a 2015 22VLX (205 hrs) and so does my son.  He said the VLX wakeboard wake was superior in many different ways to the NXT.  The surf wave was also mediocre at best with the NXT22 in comparison to the 22VLX.  Again, I am not trying to bash your NXT but this experience leads me to believe the 22VLX will be a step up for you.

Mastercraft seems to have lost there identity to me.  Once a powerhouse brand has had many issues over the past few years.  They keep losing market share,  years ago they had such a strong brand name which has quickly been on the decline year after year.

I highly encourage you to go out and demo the 22VLX, I think you will be very impressed with that boat.  It's wakeboard and surf wave are very similar to the LSV (at least the 2017 LSV model).

I've noticed it as well. It's almost like they have been relying on the name for several years.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:46 PM, IXFE said:

Maybe I misread it. If so, my bad 

Haha yea sorry man, i meant it as Malibu to be the better quality. Wording was confusing on my part

Hi. New to the site. After owning a Malibu for the last 12 years, I find myself back in the market for a new boat. I'm really interested in this conversation, since the two boats I'm interested in are a Malibu and a Mastercraft. 

Am I understanding the opinions correctly; The Mastercraft is a little better quality, but the Malibu wave is better? That would make sense. Impossible to have the best of everything in one boat right? 

My main priority is reliability. It seems like you can't go wrong with Malibu, Mastercraft, or Nautique. I just can't drop the coin on a Nautique. I also don't want to find that I've "outgrown" the performance abilities of any boat I get. I'm not a great surfer, but I've made some good strides over the last few summers. Last thing I would want to do is find myself having to upgrade in a couple years. Hope to own this next boat as long as my last one. 

For reference, I'm looking at the 22vlx and the XT22.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the market share thing and how it relates to quality or performance. I'm not an economist, but is it an accurate measurement of one product vs another? I just looked up the auto market share. GM is 1st with Ford closely behind, both just over 15% of the market. BMW is at like 2%. But nobody is going to convince me that the Ford Fusion is a better vehicle than a BMW 5 Series. And I own a Fusion. BMW makes less vehicles than GM and Ford, so they obviously have less market availability. Is that relevant here? 

Edited by sierraboat
On 8/12/2018 at 3:44 PM, Ronnie said:

Ok guys, enough. Debate the boats, not each other.

image.png

Please let them continue!!!  So entertaining and revealing 

7 hours ago, sierraboat said:

Hi. New to the site. After owning a Malibu for the last 12 years, I find myself back in the market for a new boat. I'm really interested in this conversation, since the two boats I'm interested in are a Malibu and a Mastercraft. 

Am I understanding the opinions correctly; The Mastercraft is a little better quality, but the Malibu wave is better? That would make sense. Impossible to have the best of everything in one boat right? 

My main priority is reliability......................But nobody is going to convince me that the Ford Fusion is a better vehicle than a BMW 5 Series. And I own a Fusion. BMW makes less vehicles than GM and Ford, so they obviously have less market availability. Is that relevant here? 

I would say more appointments/materials than I would say quality.  But that depends on how you define it.  I would say MC tends to use more higher dollar billet type stuff, making it a bit more blingy.  I would not say it has better quality, though.

If your main priority is reliability, then the Fusion is a far, far better vehicle than the BMW.  I have a 5 series on my lift at home with half the front end torn apart to replace turbos, which BMW considers a maintenance item.  Horribly unreliable car, but I sure do enjoy it when it is running.  BMW attracts a lot of non-repeat buyers.  They love the cars until they have to pay for repairs or maintenance.

But it is as I had tried to say earlier about where one's priorities are.  And market share is more related to how many people have the same priority as which company.  Personally, what got me in an Axis 7 years ago was value.  What kept me in the Malibu family is innovation (Surfgate, Wedge, Plug and Play), and what moved me from Axis to Malibu was nicer fit and finish (though I'd prefer the Axis analog gauges and simple ballast controls).

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, M235Ozark said:

Boats are like women...one dude will like brunettes...another likes blondes.  But both of them will cost you a fortune and frustrate the piss out of you.  

So true!

1 hour ago, Ballay said:

I think the saying says “it’s cheaper to rent”

close.. the 3 f's if it falls in this category "rent it, don't by it".. but I guess there is many versions of it lol.

Bust

Out

Another

Thousand

• Like 2