Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ethanol Gas?

Ethanol-free gas prices killing me on our lake.  All fuel on lake is ethanol free.  I have a 2004 Sunsetter LXI with the 340 Monsoon.  Anyone run gas with ethanol, and do you have any issues.  I have a friend who has an 06 Nautique (PCM engine) and runs with ethanol gas and has had no problems at all.  Would be nice to pay 50% less for fuel.  Happy to add seafoam or octane boost, or some other additive once in a while, if that will assist with running ethanol fuel.  

Thoughts, suggestions?

I've been forced to use e10 for the past 7 or 8 years.  The marinas at the lake down here only carry ethanol, but it already has a fuel additive (ValveTect).

No problems thus far.  I do add STA-BIL Marine when I winterize.

I really don’t need non but I use it.  I had a 10 month layup with broken leg, I didn’t even worry about that non ethanol gas sitting , it will go longer than that but technically I can’t justify paying for it, maybe 10+ years ofbit pays off, with my filter in tank as non service , it might pay some dividends with fuel delivery through that pump with filter incorporated 

I fill up at gas station with previous boats and last 3 years with this boat... no issues... I go through a tank a weekend so it never sits...

I buy ethanol free whenever I can but I buy at a regular gas station, not from a marina.  It’s still 30% more but I’m ok with that.  When I cannot get it, I buy e10 but I use startron in every tank.

The effects of ethanol fuel is usually not seen until years of use. It deteriorates anything plastic or rubber thats not built to tolerate the ethanol. Short term is the water absorption and phase separation. Marine fuel system have been built to tolerate ethanol for many years, but on an 04, may be worth talking with both the engine manufacturer and the boat builder. 

1 minute ago, MLA said:

The effects of ethanol fuel is usually not seen until years of use. It deteriorates anything plastic or rubber thats not built to tolerate the ethanol. Short term is the water absorption and phase separation. Marine fuel system have been built to tolerate ethanol for many years, but on an 04, may be worth talking with both the engine manufacturer and the boat builder. 

My inlaws 1000 hour 04 lxi runs off nothing but e10.  Should be fine

I use only non-ethanol fuel in my boats and small engines.  I have had too many problems with deterioration of hoses, gaskets, and diaphragms with ethanol.  I pay about $1 more a gallon for either 89 or 90 octane non-ethanol than 87 octane e10. 

Luckily, Florida removed all punishment for stations that sell non-ethanol fuel, so it is fairly common now.  In other words, the federal gubment requires that states not allow putting non-ethanol in your car (enforced by highway funding), so that is still the law here.  The state simply removed the punishment for doing so.

Ive got 1650 hours on a 2013 Malibu 23LSV with 350 monsoon. I have always used e10 89 octane except the last ride of the season which is when I would fill up with ethanol free for the winter.  No issues and still going strong. Have a new boat so will be putting the Bu on the market soon 😔. Not looking forward to letting my baby go, but need to move on as my daughter in law and son are sponsored by another brand.  She’s been faithful and getting a new interior for the sale.  You can save at least a 1.20 per gallon or more with e10.  With my Bu using about 8.5 gal per hour of use average, and average 350 hours a year that equates to a savings of about $3,500 per year, so not huge savings when you consider what we pay for these boats, but I do all my own maintence so all of the savings add up to a lot and make it somewhat affordable in my mind. All the best, safe and fun boating season.

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

I haven't had any issues using e10, but i do always put premium in the boats. But we go through our gas pretty fast.

However, my dad has had all kinds of issues with his gas, but he doesnt go through it like we do. His hydrasport is usually one of the first to go in the lake, and last to come out each year. He generally only uses about 30 gallons of his 85 gallon tank. He added a second water seperator last year, and its been working so far this year. Biggest thing seems to be to not let the gas sit too long! 

This screen shot is straight from the Indmar operators manuel for my 2000 VLX.  The bottom of page circled. 

1D38367E-8E57-45BD-B6FC-7294D14ECE28.thumb.jpeg.23bb90ece84b563f4b2b4c993136ebb7.jpeg

“Ethyl alcohol, ethanol or grain alcohol is acceptable as long as it is a blend and the blended fuel contains no more than 10% ethanol.”

here is the link for all manuals

https://www.indmar.com/operator-manuals/wake-series/

Edited by Cazan

E10 is fine.

There was a guy on here who was Chief Engineer for GM Powertrain.  He said that E10 was fine and that he had the data to back it up.  Kind of killed the argument going on in that thread.

I know that since the ethanol gas became prevalent around here I have had vapor lock issues .  First few years I put way more hours and never had a single issue on the ethanol free.

I plan on adding the extra fuel pump that others have done this off season and hope it cures my issue.  

Edited by DUKENO1

Never had a problem in any engine I owned with E10 or MTBE15.  Any problem I have ever seen was  due to poor maintenance, not the fuel. I never bought in to the ethanol free or higher octane  rhetoric.

Edited by electricjohn

Corn fuel for older boats will cause deterioration of rubber parts and hoses especially if they sit for a while. You pretty much need to perform various maintenance twice or three times as often. Once rubber parts deteriorate, they deposit their pieces in injectors and carbs so they have to be cleaned more often. Systems used often and with less or no rubber will perform better with less maintence. 

17 hours ago, williemon said:

Corn fuel for older boats will cause deterioration of rubber parts and hoses especially if they sit for a while. You pretty much need to perform various maintenance twice or three times as often. Once rubber parts deteriorate, they deposit their pieces in injectors and carbs so they have to be cleaned more often. Systems used often and with less or no rubber will perform better with less maintence. 

Any vehicle with lines not rated for ethanol is already overdue for new fuel lines. 

49 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

What will th proposed  E15 do to my old non ethanol Monsoon?

More corrosive to the rubber and plastic. More water absorption, greater chance of phase separation. Even lower BTU p/oz = greater GPH used. 

Wont hurt the engine, as in the metal parts. its just all the other fuel system parts that suffer.  

3 hours ago, Bozboat said:

What will th proposed  E15 do to my old non ethanol Monsoon?

Who said your Monsoon was "non ethanol"?  

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf
https://indmar.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/1994-to-2002-Indmar-Operators-Manual-.pdf

Your motor is designed for E10, no different than any newer motor, so your needs/restrictions are not unique.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Who said your Monsoon was "non ethanol"?  

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf
https://indmar.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/1994-to-2002-Indmar-Operators-Manual-.pdf

Your motor is designed for E10, no different than any newer motor, so your needs/restrictions are not unique.

I’ll try again 

I have an 19 year old small block chebby 350 that has been lightly rebranded as an Indmar Monsoon 325

it is unique only to the extent that is one of the most common engines ever made.

I asked about E15, as in 15% corn 85% gas. I get that it will be harder on my boat engine, probably to the same extent that my lawn mower and weed wackier expire prematurely. 

I was thinking of mixing AV gas from the local airport with the Corn Pops at the local Valero station to see if that helps.

What other choice do I have to keep alive?

Edited by Bozboat
2 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I’ll try again 

what happens to my common non unique monsoon after the Feds reward Iowa corn growers by mandating E15, as in 15% ethanol?

Wont be mandated, you will still be able to get e10 for all the vehicles that require it.  They sell the e15 right next to the e10 at stations around here. 

• Like 2