Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hyperlite Quad

Dodger40

Anybody ridden the hyperlite quad? I want a new board, just can’t demo where I live. I’m 6’4” and around 210 lbs. I’m just getting in to wakesurfing. 

I found it to be a turd, honestly.  Very basic.  Even though you say you are just getting in to wakesurfing, I think you will be bored with the Quad quickly.  Try to find a used surf style or hybrid from a MFG like Inland Surfer, Phase 5  etc.  A lot of people like the CWB Tsunami as a good beg-int board, and Ronix has some decent inexpensive boards as well.  I have had good luck buying boards on CL, so depending on your area, that could be a good option for you. 

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

FWIW my son rides the hyperlite quad quite often and really likes it.  Infact he keeps reminding me we need to buy one.  The board was designed my Mike Schwenne a Santa Cruz CA local, who used to be a professional sponsored wakeboarder and very good wakesurfer and a really good ocean surfer.

I think you will find surfboards are very subjective to the rider, weight, size and what boat you ride behind.  One of my favorite boards to ride is a 5'6" Ronix Koal Fish, some peeps probably would not like this board but I love it.

If you can get out and ride a few before buying it would really be a benefit to you and prevent you from waisting a lot of money.  These wakesurf boards are getting stupid expensive especially if you look at the cost of a larger ocean board.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Fman said:

I think you will find surfboards are very subjective to the rider, weight, size and what boat you ride behind.  One of my favorite boards to ride is a 5'6" Ronix Koal Fish, some peeps probably would not like this board but I love it.

This!  I have an Inland Surfer that loves 11.6mph behind mine & other boats, lighter riders like it slower.  My Hi Fi loves 10.3mph, my Vicotoria loves 10.2, my new Katana 10.8mph for everyone whos ridden it so far.  

Deff get out & demo what you can or if you buy one try different speeds & play with it.  In case anyone is asking how to figure out the best speed my advice is:  If you are coming at the boat too fast, speed it up, if you're working really hard to try & keep up, slow it down. 

To OP, I don't know anything about the board you're looking at but we recently picked up a Connelly Katana & it's the new flavor of the summer for everyone who's ridden it.  It's a quad, but I ride with just the two fins.  Stable, fast, jumps rather well & breaks lose easily for spins.  It is also the same price as the hyperlite quad you're asking about.

I love the board cause the first time I tried a 360 on it I landed it, first time ever landing one.  Then I did 3 more on the day.  Stuck my first transfer too.  Now transferring sides all day, struggling with goofy side still, but hey, can't win them all

Edited by racer808
added more babble

I haven't ridden any of the current Slingshot models but we had the 2016 butter bar & Cobra Cat & I wasn't too impressed with either, in fact we have sold both after 1 season & moved on to Victoria skim board.  It is hard to find good boards in the budget range or you gotta go used. 

9 hours ago, Dodger40 said:

Granddaddy 55 what was bad about it?

Big slow pig, yes it will float s big guy, my 4’8” happy pill to it was a Corvette snd it was a semi

if you can find an old style , 2015 or earlier 4’5” to 4’8” new Happy pill, it’s a great 1st surf style board to learn on, finds wave for you, new style 4’10” is a dog

Edited by granddaddy55