Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I know some of you are ballers but how does a 2018 Malibu LSV cost 170,000 and a 14 cost 75,000?

Imracin68j

Does a new boat really lose that much value in 4 years/ How long are the loans? Crazy money and I don’t see people getting an extra 100,000 of fun from a 2014-2018. 

Rant over, lol. 

I believe you'll find that $170k is MSRP "fully loaded" with some ridiculous and redundant options, while $75k is the NADA guide value for a previously owned boat that has been practically outfitted.

• Like 2

Reasonably optioned (list 140-150) and after negotiation it's more like $105-110 fo a 2018 23LSV.  That ain't cheap and there probably isn't really $30k more fun in the 2018, but there is a five year warranty and the additional piece of mind of knowing how the boat has been taken care of.  Not to mention a few comfort upgrades, new hull, and that new boat smell!

Give it 3 months and the discount will be 30% off list on the leftovers.

• Like 2

Compared to cars or other types of boats these boats actually hold their value fairly well.  I had an 08 VLX that I just sold and it depreciated about $1800 a year. There may be an initial 10% hit the first year then it levels out.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

Does a new boat really lose that much value in 4 years/ How long are the loans? Crazy money and I don’t see people getting an extra 100,000 of fun from a 2014-2018. 

Rant over, lol. 

You can also go with Axis if you want the same performance as a Malibu for considerably less money.  Especially with the 2018+ Axis models now offering the PW2/PW3.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 3

Thank god for that depreciation curve - it lets guys like me buy a 3 year old boat for a more reasonable price.  I couldn’t bring myself to spend $100k + on a boat - I had to swallow hard to plop down $75k on our 14 23 LSV last year, but I’m glad I did.

I could never enjoy my toys if someone didn’t buy them new first!

Wife and I 

1 hour ago, Leftlane said:

Thank god for that depreciation curve - it lets guys like me buy a 3 year old boat for a more reasonable price.  I couldn’t bring myself to spend $100k + on a boat - I had to swallow hard to plop down $75k on our 14 23 LSV last year, but I’m glad I did.

I could never enjoy my toys if someone didn’t buy them new first!

This - wife and I agreed to take advantage of the next recession.  When those underwater start dumping their boats, I'm in for a good deal!  Probably won't be a 2009 type of deal (wish we bought a boat then, but cashed in on the house deal instead).

6 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

They go for 110+, so they went up 47%  in 4 years to 18’ , wow quite a jump 

Really? So you put zero value on a motor upgrade (6.2 vs 5.7), updated tower, pw2, completely different and better dash? I’m sure there are many more changes I’m leaving out.

Where’s the ignore button???

17 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Really? So you put zero value on a motor upgrade (6.2 vs 5.7), updated tower, pw2, completely different and better dash? I’m sure there are many more changes I’m leaving out.

Where’s the ignore button???

None of that justifies nearly that cost increase.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

That’s the starting price for a Pavati AL24..... throw options at it, and it’s 300k+.

Looks awesome.. not sure about 2*25lsv price awesome but still looking awesome

• Like 1
12 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Looks awesome.. not sure about 2*25lsv price awesome but still looking awesome

Worst part is, their MSRPs don’t reflect a 35% margin that you’d see on a Bu, MC, CC, etc....... they sell factory direct, and will not budge on the price one bit.

So, it’s fairly close to 3 25 LSVs.

11 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Worst part is, their MSRPs don’t reflect a 35% margin that you’d see on a Bu, MC, CC, etc....... they sell factory direct, and will not budge on the price one bit.

So, it’s fairly close to 3 25 LSVs.

well then not such a steal .... or should i say aluminum...

now with AL prices going through the roof i cant imagine the 2019 price!

anyone actually surfed one of these beasts?

On 8/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, NWBU said:

Price increases have absolutely nothing to do with upgrades and new equipment but rather it’s what the market will bear.

I assume BU pricing will be up the standard 5% again this year, and Nautique base pricing is up 6%. Both sold out their 2018 production and are planning higher volumes in 2019.

NO it’s 10% on 10 % for four  straight years to get to 47, which is what the “EXPERTS” on this site quote as  the standard price increase. To go from 75-78 to 110-118  it’s 10x10x10x10

msybe not based on msrp but probably on final sales price

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

NO it’s 10% on 10 % for four  straight years to get to 47, which is what the “EXPERTS” on this site quote as  the standard price increase. To go from 75-78 to 110-118  it’s 10x10x10x10

msybe not based on msrp but probably on final sales price

Sounds about right, on average.  Some folks might get a little better deal, but that probably depends on the dealer they purchase from.  I’m guessing some dealers get better pricing from Malibu than others.  

These crazy new boat prices are the best thing that can happen for older boat owners.  When your choice is a 140K new boat or a used one for 80, the 80 start looking real good.  I think they are getting creative on their loans.  Back in the day it was 5 year loans.  Now, I think they can get up to 20.  That puts a 140K loan at 776 a month.  Seems doable.  The problem comes is getting upside down on it in a few years.  Thats why you see some people trying to sell boats way over blue book value.  They are stuck.  

• Like 1