Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 vtx lcr 320 Cap & rotor info

Looking for some info, my boat is starting to miss fire so before I just send it to the dealer I want to replace the Cap & Rotor , maybe wires and fuel filter as well. According to the Indmar Manual it shows (distributor  #556345)  (rotor  #556346) only place i seem to find these part numbers on is on random websites... I contacted bakesonline to see if this was the same for my boat too https://www.bakesonline.com/distribuhvs-ignition-system-tune-up-kit.html  but they will not reply. I havent contacted the dealer for part numbers yet but was wondering if that was the same if anyone can chime in. Thanks

It's just an HVS cap and rotor.  The indmar version that they sent the boat out with is NOT marine (brass contacts), or at least mine wasn't, but you could upgrade to brass contacts if you want (as in the bakes link).  If you want to replace with what the boat shipped with, just take the cap and rotor into your local NAPA or autozone and they'll hook you up.  Late 90s suburban 1500 should be a good xref.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D329A-Original-Equipment-Distributor/dp/B000BYD3RC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533756658&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=hvs+cap+rotor

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D465-Professional-Ignition-Distributor/dp/B000BYGD2O/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BYGD2O&pd_rd_r=8TZMBCNYHND7HJR33FAM&pd_rd_w=63WmW&pd_rd_wg=EMZyI&psc=1&refRID=8TZMBCNYHND7HJR33FAM

(linked cap-n-rotor ARE NOT marine.  Just like the ones Indmar shipped with from the factory)

3 minutes ago, Falko said:

I use Accel on mine. Nice cap and rotor with brass contacts. I think I picked one up earlier this summer for around $20.

$20 is crazy cheap for the accel stuff, but it is worth whatever it costs.  The aluminum contacts like what came factory tend to corrode, especially in my VTX where the pylon drains right onto the distributor.

Cap AC brand - D329A

Cap Accel 120141

Rotor AC - D465

Rotor Accel 130141

Edited by oldjeep

Yeah, I got an old stock one off ebay. The kits usually go for around $40. I think the part number I used was 8132, it's the rotor and cap kit.

1 hour ago, Falko said:

I use Accel on mine. Nice cap and rotor with brass contacts. I think I picked one up earlier this summer for around $20.

Your 04 wouldn't be an HVS cap and rotor tho I don't think.  IIRC Indmar moved to HVS in 06.

Thanks guys, I was debating on just interchanging the number I had into something they had at the local part store. But also knew there was a marine variant somewhere And ya Im thinking thats exactly what happen as water leaks in the same spot you had mentioned @oldjeep 

So going to just get the automotive one's to see if this solves my issue. Thanks Again for everyone chiming in! -Jesse

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Your 04 wouldn't be an HVS cap and rotor tho I don't think.  IIRC Indmar moved to HVS in 06.

oops, you are correct. Mine is old school twisted octopus style.