Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Break in

skyski 3

have new 07 v-ride coming in about 3 week's ! we traded our 03 wakesetter and we are going to try a v-drive . our 03

had the 335 monsoon and we bought it with 80 hour's on it , so break in on a new motor is all new . what have you-all found to be the best procedure. have enjoyed this site and learned alot . thank you in advance !!!!!!!

For the first 10 hours on the boat we didn't drive it under load (no wedge or ballast) and varied the rpms as much as possible. That was the pocedure recommended by the dealer and it seems to have worked well for us. There are some on this site that just say to go for it and ask, "Break in period? What break in period?", and others that advocate for simply doing some easy cruising.

This is from the Indmar manual:

Break-In Steps

1 For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 rpm; vary rpm continuosly.

2 For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 rpm;

3 For the next five hours, no not exceed 4000 rpm.

After the first ten hours, but before 20 hours of operation, take your boat to the dealer for its first engine and transmission oil and filter change and engine check up.

For the first 10 hours on the boat we didn't drive it under load (no wedge or ballast) and varied the rpms as much as possible. That was the pocedure recommended by the dealer and it seems to have worked well for us. There are some on this site that just say to go for it and ask, "Break in period? What break in period?", and others that advocate for simply doing some easy cruising.

This is from the Indmar manual:

Break-In Steps

1 For the first hour, do not exceed 2000 rpm; vary rpm continuosly.

2 For the second hour, do not exceed 3000 rpm;

3 For the next five hours, no not exceed 4000 rpm.

After the first ten hours, but before 20 hours of operation, take your boat to the dealer for its first engine and transmission oil and filter change and engine check up.

so do we have to go back to dealer to have oil & filter changed , & what about the v-drive gear box? we have always done our oil & filter changes our self . we have owned two malibu's & one runabout , our dealer is 3 hrs. away ?

You can do your own 20 hour service, its just an oil and tranny fulid change (your boat will have a combo Vdrive tranny but it still has two dipsticks that both take ATF. However you'll probably have a punch list of warrenty stuff to be done too, so its your call

Chris

I've got the 320 in my boat and it required the break-in period. We did what was quoted in the earlier post from Indmar for the first 10 hours. Never had a problem, plus we plan to keep our boat for several years so we were pretty easy on the motor in the beginning.

I took mine back to the dealer for the service since I had a couple small items to correct under warranty. Plus it allows them to check shaft alignment while there which is part of the first check up.

Edited by wakeup
You can do your own 20 hour service, its just an oil and tranny fulid change (your boat will have a combo Vdrive tranny but it still has two dipsticks that both take ATF. However you'll probably have a punch list of warrenty stuff to be done too, so its your call

Chris

Is this correct? You will have a tranny like everyone, which takes ATF fluid, but the Vdrive takes 30-weight engine oil I thought.

Chris

Is this correct? You will have a tranny like everyone, which takes ATF fluid, but the Vdrive takes 30-weight engine oil I thought.

The new SkiVee tranny/vdrive unit takes ATF all the way around. It started in '06.

Chris

The new SkiVee tranny/vdrive unit takes ATF all the way around. It started in '06.

good to know

Chris

good to know

we bought the 320 had talked with inmar & they had said , for v-ride the 320 would be what we needed . we skyski & surf , ?ed inmar because we order the rear ballest & i have 500 lbs . of lead. they said if we go to the vlx we would need the 340 . we plan on keeping this boat so wanted to do what is correct ! we really loaded this boat up with option's so we hope it will be all we want !

Follow Indmar's proceedure then as posted by obski. Welcome to the site & good luck with the boat. :)

so does this mean we will not be able to foil or surf for the seven hr. break-in period ? no ballest etc. just trying to plan break-in week-end . once again thank you-all !!!!!!!!!

Depends on how fast you foil, but I'd say that the surfing would be out just because of the ballast. The big thing on a break in on any engine is to vary your rpms a lot, which usually means no speed control. The first couple of hours are the biggy, after that I don't worry about it too much, but if you're going BTB then you should be able to foil, ski & wakeboard after the first 2 hours (4000 rpms is a lot unless you're footin').