Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski-Safe Insurance + Cracked Block from Freezing

sidekicknicholas

When I called them this year about insurance, I was MORE than pleased with the agent. These guys know boats and cover stuff you wouldn't think off. Like the environmental fees if the boat sinks which can be a million bucks! 

Good to know you had no issues with them! 

Ski safe is who we insure with and they are fantastic.  

I asked about (and carry this coverage).  They said if you do your own winterizing its important to document what you did.  If you have a shop do it, keep receipts.  

Edited by Pra4sno

My progressive was within $100 of ski safe and since I had progressive on prior boats and skis I continued with progressive. I think it depends on how many boats etc you have with progressive or ski safe. It seems each will discount based on a number of items including location. Just make sure you compare policy coverage before making the final decision. For instance, you may want block freeze coverage which may not be covered with base policy quotes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 11:18 AM, MystiikVLX said:

I have Progrressive insurance. Does anyone have any opinion of Progressive vs Ski Safe?

I just switched from progressive to ski safe.  I had progressive through USAA and was receiving some discounts because all my other auto and home policies are with USAA.  I also have my RV policy with progressive.  I switched because the premium is about 2/3 the price of progressive for better coverage imho.  I think the main factor in savings is probably the shorter season I operate the boat.  Ski safe offers a "storage discount".  Progressive did not.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ive used Ski-Safe for years.   I had 1 claim on my last boat (2 decades ago - a tree fell on it over the winter, that racked & cracked the hull).  Ski-safe asked for a few pics & a written statement from the dealer (on the damage) and the claim was taken care of promptly.    Highly recommend Ski-Safe!   

Edited by Garry
typos

I called progressive and they told me that I should be covered for freeze damage under "weather". Does anyone have any thoughts? I spoke to a sales agent and to claims.

21 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

I called progressive and they told me that I should be covered for freeze damage under "weather". Does anyone have any thoughts? I spoke to a sales agent and to claims.

I had Progressive for years and always got the sense that they only wanted my money and I would have a hard time settling a claim. They did pay out on a tree that fell out of my neighbors yard onto my old boat years ago, but they pretty much just rolled over and didn't seem to want to fight the neighbors negligence. My rates didn't go up over that claim fortunately. The last Progressive agent I talked to during a policy change didn't know the difference between a V drive and a thumb drive. On recommendations from the site, I switched to Ski-Safe and was impressed. The cost savings alone was worth the switch and as previously mentioned, Ski-Safe covered a lot more, the people know boating, will suggest options and explain everything. Highly recommend them.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, wdr said:

I had Progressive for years and always got the sense that they only wanted my money and I would have a hard time settling a claim. They did pay out on a tree that fell out of my neighbors yard onto my old boat years ago, but they pretty much just rolled over and didn't seem to want to fight the neighbors negligence. My rates didn't go up over that claim fortunately. The last Progressive agent I talked to during a policy change didn't know the difference between a V drive and a thumb drive. On recommendations from the site, I switched to Ski-Safe and was impressed. The cost savings alone was worth the switch and as previously mentioned, Ski-Safe covered a lot more, the people know boating, will suggest options and explain everything. Highly recommend them.

I have had 2 boat claims with Progressive and couldn't be happier.    1 was when I hit the trailer when I first got my boat - they repaired prop, strut, etc. with no hassle.  The next claim was when my stereo was stolen.  They paid fair value for stereo components plus even some extra money to cover labor so I could clean the upholstery - damn thieves actually used the tools in my boat to remove some of the equipment and left my cheap wrenches on my vinyl which left some rust stains by the time I found the boat/damage.    I never did get a quote from SkiSafe, but Progressive was one of the cheaper quotes I did get at th time and I have always been very pleased with the ease of working with them (including swapping coverage from my 2000 VLX to the 2016 LSV).    

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, bovhica said:

I just switched from progressive to ski safe.  I had progressive through USAA and was receiving some discounts because all my other auto and home policies are with USAA.  I also have my RV policy with progressive.  I switched because the premium is about 2/3 the price of progressive for better coverage imho.  I think the main factor in savings is probably the shorter season I operate the boat.  Ski safe offers a "storage discount".  Progressive did not.

This is really good to know since I currently have Progressive through USAA as well.  I may be switching

On 10/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, MystiikVLX said:

I just pulled my Progressive policy to look into this because that sounds to good to be true.  

Under this section c

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS PART V.

a. insects, birds, or other animals, including rodents and other types of vermin, unless the covered watercraft where the personal effects or non-owned personal effects were located at the time of the loss was secured with a fitted cover at the time of the loss;
b. marine life; or
c. smog, humidity, mildew, mold, freezing, thawing, or extremes of temperature

Your policy might be different but mine looks like a pretty standard version.  Might want to pull your copy and double check.

Edited by Cazan
6 hours ago, Cazan said:

I just pulled my Progressive policy to look into this because that sounds to good to be true.  

Under this section c

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS PART V.

a. insects, birds, or other animals, including rodents and other types of vermin, unless the covered watercraft where the personal effects or non-owned personal effects were located at the time of the loss was secured with a fitted cover at the time of the loss;
b. marine life; or

Your policy might be different but mine looks like a pretty standard version.  Might want to pull your copy and double check.

I will have to download my policy but I believe it’s just standard policy. The freezing exclusion and the rodent exclusion noted scares me. I definitely need to look into this

thanks

6 hours ago, Cazan said:

Under this section c

b. marine life; or

I just went over this online with Progressive tonight.  I saved the conversation and reference number as well just in case, but they stated the following: 

I understand your concern. I show we will cover damage to a watercraft caused by freezing and thawing, if the watercraft has been winterized in accordance with manufacturer recommendations or as is customary in the geographic region.

I even asked multiple times getting their confirmation.   Hopefully I wouldn't have any issues even though my language looks like yours.   In the end, I'd hope they honor what their folks told me, after repeatedly questioning.  

Full conversation is below - 

Crystal T: Since the Comprehensive coverage you carry applies to weather damage, you may want to start under the Comprehensive coverage in the contract.

Crystal T: Since you've been a loyal customer for several years, have you been able to review any quotes for your Auto and Home insurance, Jason?

Jason: First, it looks like freezing is excluded in my policy

Jason: under exclusions, part 10

Jason: can you confirm?

Crystal T: I can certainly look in to this for you. Just to clarify, which page were you on?

Jason: 33

Jason: well, starting on 17

Crystal T: I appreciate you clarifying.

Crystal T: I appreciate your patience; this may take another minute or so. I'm contacting my resolution consultant about this now. I can understand your concern.

Jason: thanks

Jason: and if it is excluded, is there an additional option to provide for it?

Jason: I've never had an issue, but had a friend run into a frozen block after winter and it got me to thinking to see if I would be covered or not

Crystal T: That makes sense. I'm still working with my resolution consultant to verify this. I apologize for the delay.

Jason: no problem

Jason: thanks for checking

Crystal T: I wanted to check in with you once more. I'm just awaiting their final response.

Crystal T: I really appreciate you bearing with me. 

The exclusion you saw earlier, Jason, was specifically for the fishing equipment coverage we offer.

Crystal T: That was not for the Comprehensive coverage that applies for weather related damage.

Jason: Ah, so I am covered then?

Jason: I think page 17 is under Part IV, which has the same language as the fishing equipment section

Crystal T: If you live in an area like Michigan for example where you'd normally winterize the boat and have a cracked block because you didn't, that's more likely to be denied. 

In your area however where you're not subject to a normal winterization, any freeze damage is normally still covered under the Comprehensive.

Jason: okay

Jason: I typically winterize, but just wanted to make sure if something went wrong I'm covered

Crystal T: That's a great question to ask, I would want to do the same, Jason.

Jason: It just seems odd how it is worded in the contract

Jason: thanks for your help

Crystal T: I understand your concern. I show we will cover damage to a watercraft caused by freezing and thawing, if the watercraft has been winterized in accordance with manufacturer recommendations or as is customary in the geographic region.

Jason: perfect

Jason: Thanks so much for the help!

Crystal T: You're welcome. I really appreciate your patience while I researched this for you this evening.

The following Agent is typing: Crystal T.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

This is really good to know since I currently have Progressive through USAA as well.  I may be 

I'd wager your premium savings will be in the ballpark of what im saving.  I did place a 5 month storage option for reference.

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I just went over this online with Progressive tonight.  I saved the conversation and reference number as well just in case, but they stated the following: 

I understand your concern. I show we will cover damage to a watercraft caused by freezing and thawing, if the watercraft has been winterized in accordance with manufacturer recommendations or as is customary in the geographic region.

I even asked multiple times getting their confirmation.   Hopefully I wouldn't have any issues even though my language looks like yours.   In the end, I'd hope they honor what their folks told me, after repeatedly questioning.  

Full conversation is below - 

Crystal T: Since the Comprehensive coverage you carry applies to weather damage, you may want to start under the Comprehensive coverage in the contract.

Crystal T: Since you've been a loyal customer for several years, have you been able to review any quotes for your Auto and Home insurance, Jason?

Jason: First, it looks like freezing is excluded in my policy

Jason: under exclusions, part 10

Jason: can you confirm?

Crystal T: I can certainly look in to this for you. Just to clarify, which page were you on?

Jason: 33

Jason: well, starting on 17

Crystal T: I appreciate you clarifying.

Crystal T: I appreciate your patience; this may take another minute or so. I'm contacting my resolution consultant about this now. I can understand your concern.

Jason: thanks

Jason: and if it is excluded, is there an additional option to provide for it?

Jason: I've never had an issue, but had a friend run into a frozen block after winter and it got me to thinking to see if I would be covered or not

Crystal T: That makes sense. I'm still working with my resolution consultant to verify this. I apologize for the delay.

Jason: no problem

Jason: thanks for checking

Crystal T: I wanted to check in with you once more. I'm just awaiting their final response.

Crystal T: I really appreciate you bearing with me. 

The exclusion you saw earlier, Jason, was specifically for the fishing equipment coverage we offer.

Crystal T: That was not for the Comprehensive coverage that applies for weather related damage.

Jason: Ah, so I am covered then?

Jason: I think page 17 is under Part IV, which has the same language as the fishing equipment section

Crystal T: If you live in an area like Michigan for example where you'd normally winterize the boat and have a cracked block because you didn't, that's more likely to be denied. 

In your area however where you're not subject to a normal winterization, any freeze damage is normally still covered under the Comprehensive.

Jason: okay

Jason: I typically winterize, but just wanted to make sure if something went wrong I'm covered

Crystal T: That's a great question to ask, I would want to do the same, Jason.

Jason: It just seems odd how it is worded in the contract

Jason: thanks for your help

Crystal T: I understand your concern. I show we will cover damage to a watercraft caused by freezing and thawing, if the watercraft has been winterized in accordance with manufacturer recommendations or as is customary in the geographic region.

Jason: perfect

Jason: Thanks so much for the help!

Crystal T: You're welcome. I really appreciate your patience while I researched this for you this evening.

The following Agent is typing: Crystal T.

I wonder what the cut off is for the geographical region.  I’m in Ohio so I bet I’m out. I’m gonna call them tomorrow to clarify or at least add it as an option. 

Edited by Cazan