Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade from a 2007 B52?

sickmove

What's Up Crew?

Just sold my 2007 MB Sports b52 and looking to upgrade. My budget can put me in a 2010ish LSV or a 2012ish VLX. My wife and I surf exclusively and like to just hang out on the boat too. 

I'm looking for advice- I know the fit and finish and handling will be a step up form the b52, but what about the wave? I was running 3500# ballast in the b52 and it was super fun and plenty of push for my 225# self, starting to get air and landing clean 360's.

Thanks so much for your help!

KC

If you're talking about the 21 LSV (with tower) the only difference is you get the diamond hull with the LSV.  Otherwise they're pretty much the same.  Sounds like you know your way around ballast install so you may prefer the LSV for the that reason too.

Look in the specs section.

Edited by minnmarker
addition

I have a 12 VLX and absolutely love it. It's very well rounded and we use it for a number of different disciplines. With that said, i agree with IXFE that an LSV would be a better option for a "surf only" boat. My VLX puts out a respectable wave tho. Don't think you would go wrong with either. Many people told me to get a 2013 to get surfgate or I'd regret it. 5 years later and no regrets. 

Edited by isellacuras
10 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

My vlx puts up a better wave than a newer Mxz. I’d put my wave up against just about anything. 

Nope!

12 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

My vlx puts up a better wave than a newer Mxz. I’d put my wave up against just about anything. 

Lol, no. Multiple pics, angles, riders or it didn't happen.  

13 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

hahhahahaha.
Oh, this was serious.

Ride one boat you stated correctly weighted then come back. Bring comparison pics as well ;)

We spent the entire day trying to get my buddies MXZ dialed in.  My point isn't to say the MXZ sucks.  It's to say, don't think a VLX can't put up a good wave, because it does. 

My VLX.  

38391228_10155877067822106_1596828467960

A buddy who is 6 foot 3. 
https://image.ibb.co/dLaTBU/newws.jpg

About as far back as this fat boy can go.
VLX2.jpg

wave2.jpg

We struggled getting that MXZ right.  Finally had to dump weight out of the RR because it rides too high in the front, even with 1500lbs in the nose.  Still not as easy to set up and as good as the VLX out of the box.  I will say the newer MXZs might be a little better but I would imagine a newer VLX is to.  We are comparing a 2008 VLX to a 2012 MXZ.   Some years have serious porposing issues with the MXZ.  Might be able to make the MXZ better by adding and subtracting but it's not going to smoke the VLX by any means. If someone's in cali and has one, show me what's up and let me ride. ;)

Edited by Imracin68j
14 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

We spent the entire day trying to get my buddies MXZ dialed in.  My point isn't to say the MXZ sucks.  It's to say, don't think a VLX can't put up a good wave, because it does. 

My VLX.  

38391228_10155877067822106_1596828467960

A buddy who is 6 foot 3. 
https://image.ibb.co/dLaTBU/newws.jpg

About as far back as this fat boy can go.
VLX2.jpg

wave2.jpg

We struggled getting that MXZ right.  Finally had to dump weight out of the RR because it rides too high in the front, even with 1500lbs in the nose.  Still not as easy to set up and as good as the VLX out of the box.  I will say the newer MXZs might be a little better but I would imagine a newer VLX is to.  We are comparing a 2008 VLX to a 2012 MXZ.   Some years have serious porposing issues with the MXZ.  Might be able to make the MXZ better by adding and subtracting but it's not going to smoke the VLX by any means. If someone's in cali and has one, show me what's up and let me ride. ;)

I have no experience with a 2012 MXZ so I won't speak to that (was it the 22 or the 24?) but I had an 08 VLX for 11 years and had the wave dialed.  I just upgraded to a 24 MXZ and it isn't even a contest, the MXZ wave is better in every way and a snap to set up compared to my old VLX.  Also, you said your wave can compete with anything and that just isn't the case.  Your VLX does put up a nice wave but it can't compete with the new Bu's. I appreciate your loyalty but put down the crack pipe. Lastly, I can't take anyone seriously wearing that hat while wakesurfing:rofl:

Edited by Chappy

2012 22mxz. He told me that year or up to that year had bad issue with the back weight being too heavy compared to the front. I’m sure they redesigned it, they had to have. There are a few threads of people struggle with some MXZs. I have no doubt the newer ones are legit. 

The lid: I had double skin cancer on the face, it ain’t no joke. Had a couple good sized chunks of my skin taken off.    Wear your sunblock. 

Edited by Imracin68j

Have you thought about an Axis with surf gate?  Maybe an A22 or T23 (not sure that'll be under 50).

Personally, I see surf gate as a safety device. No ridiculous list, and the boat will turn in either direction at low speeds.  Can get back to a fallen rider more quickly on a crowded lake.

I think I've seen several surf gate axis boats under 50. Or add go surf assist to a 2010ish boat. If you only surf it seems like a no brainer that's you'd want it automated.  Surfing is my 4th or 5th favorite water activity so suck gate is fine for me.