Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'14 Chartplotting/Nav

Sessionable

Hoping you guys have done this before... Trying to get the nav working on my 14 Viper 1. The back of the blue viper module says "Chartplotting Enabled" ... pretty sure I need a card with charts & gps antenna.

I'm not talking GPS cruise, just nav. I have enabled the NAV option, but get errors for no map & no GPS fix.

1) What memory card do I need?

2) What GPS antenna & where does it plug in?

I tried calling Medallion and got transferred to 3 voice mail boxes until eventually I got someone who isn't me calling back. Even offered to stop by the office...I'm 10 mission minutes from their HQ.

Edited by Sessionable
..thanks spellcheck..

I called the dealer to check into this before,  I believe they told me I needed a wiring harness and the GPS puck I believe I even have part numbers and prices at the house, u can use any navionics card for a GPS fish finder for the maps

Got some info by email from Medallion..

The SD card needs to be a Navionics 2 gig version that is not Platinum.  Platinum contains 3D images that we do not support.  

The parts below are what you need for the GPS antenna install.
7050-03010-02       3962048      Medallion GPS Antenna (speed & nav for MY13)
7057-54054-01       3737058       Harness, Medallion GPS Adapter

Not sure where to buy the parts from...next call is to the dealer.

Dealer was able to order both parts for me. Best deal on a 2GB, non-Platinum, SD, Navionics+ card was on Amazon (EDIT: Dont buy that card if you can only support a 2GB card...it is 16GB)

Edited by Sessionable
5 minutes ago, Sessionable said:

Dealer was able to order both parts for me. Best deal on a 2GB, non-Platinum, SD, Navionics+ card was on Amazon

How much did they charge for the parts?

Right around $400 for the GPS antenna module & $75 for adapter.

Navionics+ (All US) was around $140.

Worth noting that for my model year, Chart plotter & GPS cruise are combined...so I'll be getting both features for that price.

Antenna comes in Monday...got the Navionics+ card delivered today. I thought it was going to be a 2GB card, but opened it up and it was a 16GB card... I tried putting it in the Viper 1 anyway after updating it and no joy. Viper cant read the card.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to get an old 2GB Navionics+ card from... anyone have suggestions?

Plan B is to clone the 16GB card to a 2GB card...remote chance it will not work and brick the original card...but it may be the only option I have.

Got the GPS installed today! Super easy install.

Dash shows GPS on cruise screen and GPS status is showing a good lock with a lot of satellites. Will take it out for a test drive later this week.

Ordered an old HotMaps card from eBay, only source I could find. I guess Navionics stopped making a 2 GB in 2013...even though this is a 2014 boat. Good news is that the cards are only $40... hopefully it works when it gets here later this week!

Edited by Sessionable

Got my HotMaps card from eBay but haven't tried it. Its from 2008 and on a 1GB card, so it should work but likely be a bit out of date. 

In the meantime, I called Navionics and I did learn something new... the new SD card to order from Navionics is called "Navionics+ World."  It will come on a 2GB card.  There are 2 options for buying:

1) Full card - $249 (P/N: MSD/NAV+W)
2) Update - $129 (P/N: MSD/NAVU-W)

The update version is half price, but will require you to use some type of an older card to activate it.  This will then let you then load the latest version of the maps from a region you select through the update software.

I'm assuming the decade old HotMaps will be a bit out of date near me, especially with lake levels that have changed a lot in the last few years. Hoping the $40 card I got on eBay will become a donor to let me use the Update version and save a little $$.

Sweet give me Update's im curious to see how you like it once you have used it,  I am seriously considering this upgrade now I just smoked a prop yesterday because I did not know where I was going

Edited by jmiller17

Was running it today! The old eBay card worked to activate the "update" version!

It definitely helps show shallow areas. Depth contours are not super detailed but usually that is a setting somewhere to show more.

I'm on Lake Michigan so it's more of a safety net for nav aids & getting back to the channel in case of fog/storms.

I'd say its not the most user friendly chartplotter I ever used, but I think its going to be nice to have for those odd scenarios and will be better once I get used to it.

For GPS cruise plus a chartplotter for around $650 all in, I think its worth it.