Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
FatGoldChain

2017 Axis T22 Bow weight

Recommended Posts

FatGoldChain

Guys,

 

Looking for some assistance,  I have the PNP bow bag in but it does not seem to get the bow down enough when fully weighted for surfing.  Typically run all completely full in all tanks which makes the boat seem like its porpoising a ton thus making visibility difficult.  I have the 500's in the rear lockers connected to the PNP FYI. 

Also it does seem as though running like this makes the wave really steep but short. 

 

Thoughts on how to add additional weight or maybe a better way to weight my boat?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pauley71

Yes. Bow up is generally steeper/taller but shorter. More weight up font will bring the nose down and probability make the wave shorter height wise but it will be longer and have more push. My experience. YMMV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain

Pauley71 would you recommend using the extra 250 bag I have with throw over or lead?

I think you saw my other post about a tow vehicle so not sure whether or not lead is an option due to total weight right now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MustGoFast

Or take some weight out of the rear for better balance or get a cpl friends to sit up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

On cushion sacs and pumps are miserable , lead is awesome , but if you can’t tow it I get it but you sure your overloaded on Trailer load  and tongue weight?

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
10 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Or take some weight out of the rear for better balance or get a cpl friends to sit up there.

And you do not want to lessen the load from 550’s!! I run 850’s in a 20 foot boat snd it’s going to take more than 200 lbs to lower the nose, you may also have to go faster as well 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
6 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

And you do not want to lessen the load from 550’s!! I run 850’s in a 20 foot boat snd it’s going to take more than 200 lbs to lower the nose, you may also have to go faster as well 

Can’t agree more on the on cushion sacs certainly not something I want to do. I do have two from my previous boat so I may try them to see if that helps, then decide if I will add permanent weight or not. Although not sure where I would put lead since the bow is already full under the seat wth this PNP bag that’s up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
5 hours ago, FatGoldChain said:

Can’t agree more on the on cushion sacs certainly not something I want to do. I do have two from my previous boat so I may try them to see if that helps, then decide if I will add permanent weight or not. Although not sure where I would put lead since the bow is already full under the seat wth this PNP bag that’s up there.

I stash them in cabin with 100 on bow deck under cushions when I tilt cushions for weekly storage .  Rest stored under cabin seats until moved to bow ,  when they go to bow they go on top of cushions with the 100 that resides on cushions when we leave dock 

dont want 400 -500 permanent in bow so they get moved up there to surf or offset large rear locker sac weight for wakeboarding 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
13 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

And you do not want to lessen the load from 550’s!! I run 850’s in a 20 foot boat snd it’s going to take more than 200 lbs to lower the nose, you may also have to go faster as well 

850's?  Must fill those lockers up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

Yep! Definetly had to install the engine wall reinforcements from wakemakers , could use a change from plastic u channel to aluminum but it works pretty good with the plastic

my usual nose weight is the 950 mushroom locker sac , fill 800-825, maybe 50-75 more, and 250-300 lead on listed side, with more people in rear we could shift more lead to front , I have run 450 on cushion sacs with the 950, so lots of nose weight and more speed if you want it clean , my regular still had surfgate spray with 450 snd 950 before 11-11:2mph eliminated it with 250 lead listed bow with the 950

We only fill the surf side to 850, non surf is about 200 regular fill for goofy wave and 350-425 goofy fill for regular , but that’s 1275 for regular so regular was dirty at 10.6 but goofy was clean listed at 9.8-10.6 with 1050 and the correct prop rotation 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yep! Definetly had to install the engine wall reinforcements from wakemakers , could use a change from plastic u channel to aluminum but it works pretty good with the plastic

my usual nose weight is the 950 mushroom locker sac , fill 800-825, maybe 50-75 more, and 250-300 lead on listed side, with more people in rear we could shift more lead to front , I have run 450 on cushion sacs with the 950, so lots of nose weight and more speed if you want it clean , my regular still had surfgate spray with 450 snd 950 before 11-11:2mph eliminated it with 250 lead listed bow with the 950

We only fill the surf side to 850, non surf is about 200 regular fill for goofy wave and 350-425 goofy fill for regular , but that’s 1275 for regular so regular was dirty at 10.6 but goofy was clean listed at 9.8-10.6 with 1050 and the correct prop rotation 

That’s interesting you listed the boat, I thought the purpose of the surf gate was not only to clean up the wave but to make it so you didn’t have to list.

also seems like you have a ton of weight in the front. 

 

I am am not sure what the t22 pnp bow sac even is in lbs. 

 

May have to upgrade the rear lockers with bigger bags.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

I only get away with that rear weight because if the front offset , less weight rear, less weight offset necessary 

keeping it level serves transfers and works well 

I have the floating wedge which means full wedge, I need that much bow weight

listing just makes a premium, using the people to do it and leaving things flat and full works quite well also 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teamerickson

In my 14 T22 I had the Straight line 650 bow bag for the front pnp under the seats. I think it only filled to about ~500. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smuurph84

what speed are you surfing at? maybe its just me but I feel like the nose drops a good bit at 11.2-11.4

 

 as everyone has stated lead in the nose does wonders! I keep about 200-250 in the nose full time ( I have 900's in the lockers) it also helps with rough water when cruising imo.

 

if you go with bigger bags in the back you can pull the wedge up and that drops the nose drastically. and still get a pretty good wake. ( my wife surfs wedge up I surf wedge down) the nose is way down for me when I drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
7 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

what speed are you surfing at? maybe its just me but I feel like the nose drops a good bit at 11.2-11.4

 

 as everyone has stated lead in the nose does wonders! I keep about 200-250 in the nose full time ( I have 900's in the lockers) it also helps with rough water when cruising imo.

 

if you go with bigger bags in the back you can pull the wedge up and that drops the nose drastically. and still get a pretty good wake. ( my wife surfs wedge up I surf wedge down) the nose is way down for me when I drive.

Typically at 11.1  and I do not have the wedge down.  Seems like I need to add more weight up front and maybe a little more in the rear.

 

ill play around with different weights next time I’m out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

Love me some wedge, push just isn’t the same with out it.  I think that’s why your by the platform 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
19 hours ago, FatGoldChain said:

That’s interesting you listed the boat, I thought the purpose of the surf gate was not only to clean up the wave but to make it so you didn’t have to list

 

 

You don't have to list... but to create a better wake, all the boats with wave snob captains that I have been on (including mine ;))  "list".. It aint by much.. I put an additional 300 under surfside coffins... 

BTW.. you never stated your moveable ballast "people". How many on board and where are they all sitting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
1 minute ago, kerpluxal said:

You don't have to list... but to create a better wake, all the boats with wave snob captains that I have been on (including mine ;))  "list".. It aint by much.. I put an additional 300 under surfside coffins... 

BTW.. you never stated your moveable ballast "people". How many on board and where are they all sitting? 

Typically, I will only have between 4-6 people in the boat all not very heavy.. but they are always sitting in the back...

 

I may do the following: drop the wedge ,put another 2-400lbs in the bow with the spare Sacs I have and move some people to the surf side to create a little list

 

I should have clarified that it is not me complaining about not being able to see to see its the wife at 5-3 who is having trouble.  But I do agree with her about liking it down a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

consider the seat riser box too. With just 150 in lead up front my wife is 5'0" and with the seat riser does just fine (with our 900s filled to halfway-ish).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boat-Driver-seat-lift-for-2010-and-up-Gives-the-drivers-seat-a-4-lift/183294689487?hash=item2aad3700cf%3Ag%3ALnoAAOSwGzlTsFkj&_sacat=0&_nkw=malibu+boats+seat+riser&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

That one says malibu but reach out to the seller and he'll put an axis logo on there for you instead.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

consider the seat riser box too. With just 150 in lead up front my wife is 5'0" and with the seat riser does just fine (with our 900s filled to halfway-ish).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boat-Driver-seat-lift-for-2010-and-up-Gives-the-drivers-seat-a-4-lift/183294689487?hash=item2aad3700cf%3Ag%3ALnoAAOSwGzlTsFkj&_sacat=0&_nkw=malibu+boats+seat+riser&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

That one says malibu but reach out to the seller and he'll put an axis logo on there for you instead.

 

 

I may look into that after some other things just suggested.  But i do want to ask you since you have the same boat do you have the Tower mirror arm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
21 minutes ago, FatGoldChain said:

Typically, I will only have between 4-6 people in the boat all not very heavy.. but they are always sitting in the back...

 

I may do the following: drop the wedge ,put another 2-400lbs in the bow with the spare Sacs I have and move some people to the surf side to create a little list

 

I should have clarified that it is not me complaining about not being able to see to see its the wife at 5-3 who is having trouble.  But I do agree with her about liking it down a bit more. 

When you have some movable ballast.. have them move around in boat to see what works... 6 people all in back is alot, having them on surfside is awesome.. but try moving some to front and mid to see what results you get.. then that will help you find out what you need for permanent solution if all have to sit in back...

Edited by kerpluxal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

no!  I tried one and it felt like the mirror was right in my face.  I have the ptm mirror with windshield clamp, with the clamp setup on the passenger side, so you can see in front AND look in the mirror. **NOTE: mirror has more adjustability when mounted upside down as in pic.

38614804_10214925859792975_5555656505090

(lol don't judge my washy 12mph newb wakeboard wake)

Edited by shawndoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

no!  I tried one and it felt like the mirror was right in my face.  I have the ptm mirror with windshield clamp, with the clamp setup on the passenger side, so you can see in front AND look in the mirror. **NOTE: mirror has more adjustability when mounted upside down as in pic.

38614804_10214925859792975_5555656505090

(lol don't judge my washy 12mph newb wakeboard wake)

I love the mirror on windshield... hate tilting head back to see mirror from tower.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatGoldChain
7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

no!  I tried one and it felt like the mirror was right in my face.  I have the ptm mirror with windshield clamp, with the clamp setup on the passenger side, so you can see in front AND look in the mirror. **NOTE: mirror has more adjustability when mounted upside down as in pic.

38614804_10214925859792975_5555656505090

(lol don't judge my washy 12mph newb wakeboard wake)

Is that the PTM mirror and mount or is the stock mount reusable with the better mirror?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
1 minute ago, FatGoldChain said:

Is that the PTM mirror and mount or is the stock mount reusable with the better mirror?

I dunno -- this is what I ordered with the boat.  It's the "cheap" (not metal) ptm mirror and mount.  I don't know what the "stock" mount is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...