Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Rig Recommendation

FatGoldChain

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

What makes an EXT an SUV?  Or not a truck?  Has a full truck bed.  Full frame.  Hell - what can a typical quad cab, short bed pickup 1500 do than an EXT or Avalanche can't do?  403HP / 417ft/lb in mine. 

Yeah yeah , totally not an suv, it’s a real truck buddy.

(Whispers under breath) Bless his little heart

41B25154-8953-43E0-B769-902C1347211C.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3

You can make fun, but I loved my avalanche when I had it.  The bed cover was amazing and I loved being able to open it up in the back.  I stood on the cover, handing 3/4 sheets of plywood up to my FIL on the roof.  I'd stack them 4 or 5 high, then stand on the cover, pick them up and pass them up.  For towing, I'm a diesel guy now, but that and my 2 door tahoe were awesome, smaller vehicles to have in the arsenal.

I loved my Avy, drove awesome.  It was underpowered by a 6.2 Exc would be the ticket. Only thing I didn't like about it was the payload. And the fact that the frame broke, but other than that, awesome vehicle. As for SUV or Truck, I used to call it my Sport Like Utility Truck.

15 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Best of all worlds.  Interior was like an SUV, comfy and plush, with the ability to truck some.

Avalanche interior is the same as a Silverado. Only the 2nd Gen Escalade had an interior with any real difference from the GM truck/SUV lineup, with the main difference being the dash. 

Correct.  I'm talking back in the 90's.  The interiors between the trucks and the avalanches felt different.  Plus, IIRC and where I was really headed with that statement, it used the suburban frame, not the silverado frame.  Different ride feel for sure.

29 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Correct.  I'm talking back in the 90's.  The interiors between the trucks and the avalanches felt different. 

Avalanche and Escalade EXT didn't come out until 2002...

Found it. Based on the styling, I thought it was the 90’s. My bad.  And those logos/branding....ugh.  Should have rethought that sign guy.

8F82E63E-D3B8-474E-996A-3E05D3BD7F43.jpeg

Edited by JeffK
14 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Avalanche and Escalade EXT didn't come out until 2002...

Didn't mean to be inaccurate.  Pretending to listen to a conference call while I post on here.

• Like 3

I bought a 2018 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5L EB short bed last December as my tow vehicle.  I replaced a 2000 Silverado 2500.  My plan was similar to what you are talking about, wanted to consolidate to two vehicles, so the truck would also be a daily driver (low miles still).    I looked at Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and a little bit of the Ram, but candidly did not give it a great shot due to friends who had reliability issues (I know, I know, many think the RAM is the best truck out there).   My old Silverado pulled like a mule (6L Vortec), but consumed decomposed Dinosaurs like the world was ending.  The BEST mileage I ever saw was just over 15 on the freeway going east on I-80 with a tailwind and no boat.   With the boat, it was solidly in single digits.   The back seat (extended cab) was not really useful either. 

In any case, the Ford really shined in Colorado.   The power/torque they get out of the EB at altitude is incredible.  It is thirsty with the boat (still a little better than the old Chevy), but I have seen calculated MPG > 20 combined without the boat (but I do drive it like an old man, and in ECO mode).  The Super Crew cab is CAVERNOUS (a big consideration for us). Since I went with the bench seat (hard to find actually), I can take 5 adults (including me) and a big dog with us to the lake.   I tow at over 5000 feet altitude, and the last mile up to the lake can be pretty steep.   The truck has PLENTY of power for that.    My only concern is that it doesn't track quite as well as my Silverado did (2500 long bed).   At speed, it sometimes gets a little sway going.  Before I take it on a LONG trip (Powell, Big Mac) I probably will add an equalizer hitch, which should fix that.   I've been lazy about doing it for the local trips to the lake. 

Here is where my plan broke down... I was to sell my Audi A6 when I bought the truck... and I cant bring myself to part with it.   I LOVE that car - Comfortable, FAST, pretty.  I do NOT drive that one like an old man.  So on we go as a three car empty nest family.

Edited by JeffC
23 hours ago, riot138 said:

Although the towing weight limit is lower on the eco diesel than my v8 f150 the diesel pulls it like there is nothing on there.  Passing is easy and getting up to speed is quick.

This is something else I'd be interested in, I test drove a '15, but moulding was coming off on the cab in the test drive of a brand new truck, so I passed on the Dodge. It had get up and go for sure. Curious to see what the 19's are at, especially with the air ride, and what the quality is. Looked at one last night, super night interior, I could do without the belt buckle on the back of the seats tho lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you haven't made a decision yet, I'll chime in with my experience over the past couple weeks.  

I looked at two trucks; 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and 2018 F150 Lariat.

The Ram interior was/is incredible.  The "Tesla" screen is gorgeous and the leather wrapping on everything is so plush.  The extra 4" in the back is immediately noticeable, but makes the short bet look squatty IMO.  The ride quality is also unreal for a truck and the sound insulation is better than my Audi.  For the bad, the AC is weak.  It was 85ish and on a 30 min test drive I noticed it for sure; the Ram forums are also all over it, it's not a fluke.  What really got me away from it (yeah, it's another F150 thread) was that when you add the tow package, you basically get towing mirrors (which have a really awkward design) and they then remove 3 cameras (front and both sides) and the ability to power fold.  To me a front view camera is essential and the 360 view is very near essential; in my garage, the power fold is a go-no go.  If you don't get the tow package this isn't an issue, but the tow package is on pretty much every stock truck in my area.  Last, and not at all the least, Ram seems to be having some other issues with the early production of the 2019.  The enthusiast forums are reporting various brake and transmission issues to go along with the AC.  It's no different then what you find here with the problems bubbling to the top; but I guess I'm way more understanding with a low volume boat mfg compared to a auto manufacturer that measures production in the millions.

The F150 is a staple, and it shows.  The interior is high quality, but not really luxury.  The center console design leave a lot to be desired, but it's functional enough.  Trailer backup assist is a bit of a gimmick if you know how to back up already.  The electronic systems are pretty darn flawless now that we are on the 3rd get Sync and the B&O sound is pretty nice; though I could go for some more advanced sound settings.  Performance is crazy good after my first week with it.  The transmission is nearly invisible; I've never experienced anything other than a CVT that is as smooth.  The ecoboost is not a gimmick; I haven't towed but a couple 10 mile round trips since I'm not technically broken-in, but I do have one legit hill up to my house and my 23LSV is barely there at 25MPH at a severe  incline starting from a stop.  On normal roads, the boat is non existent back there.  I expected way less out of a 1/2 ton.

Pricing on these two is about a wash, but turn the screws on whoever you go with.  I had the Limited $1500 less than the Lariat  before they gave up.  Start lower then you think they'll even humor and you may be surprised!

I lost track of where you were as I've been watching this thread the past couple weeks, but hopefully that gives you something to think about if you are still thinking!

On 8/5/2018 at 10:08 AM, FatGoldChain said:

Hi TMC,

Figured I would check with you guys to get your opinion.

Current Tow Vehicle-  2003 Toyota Sequoia limited- 212k miles  Max Tow capacity 6200lbs

Boat: 2017 Axis T22 Dry weight approximately 4000-4400lbs (getting conflicting answers on this)  Trailer guess for axis tandem axle is probably 1200-1500lbs? 

Total weight fully loaded maybe close to 6000- 6200lbs?

Currently the tow vehicle is not a daily driver but if I upgrade I will make this a daily driver

What I am thinking is:

2018 Ford F150 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 Limited or Platinum

2018 Chevy  1500 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4x4

2018 GMC 1500 Sierra SLT or Denali Crew Cab 4x4

2018 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab Limited 

Leaning towards the Chevy/GMC because I can fit it in my third Car garage. But ultimately looking for the best tow vehicle with the best features and bang for the Buck.   I do like toyota's have owned a few of them before and always seem to be well built and last a long time.  Fuel Economy is also a consideration. 

Let the recommendations for F250's and 3500's Begin lol

thanks!

Did you buy something?  Is the tow flat or hilly?

I have the 3.42 and 5.3L.  It tows my Response great, even over the mountain passes and in the heat.  I towed it from Rancho Cucamonga to Phoenix through mountain passes and temps as high as 118F and it didn't miss a beat...

But no way I'd do that regularly with a 6k+ boat.