Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Rig Recommendation

FatGoldChain

2 hours ago, Kenw said:

Does the 15 Denali have the 6 speed tranny or the 8?

The 8 speed automatic makes all the difference

Pretty sure it is an 8 speed. Have to look tho

Lol, no the trailer brakes aren't stuck. I think it should tow better than what it does for having 425 hp. The 6.0 tows better than the 6.2 does, which is why I think the 6.2 is not offered in the 2500 and up trucks. My business partner has the same truck I do and has the same complaint, the engine doesn't build power until high rpms.  It is fine for commuting,  but for towing there are better options. I would like to tow with an EcoBoost to see what the difference is, since everybody says it builds torque in the low rpms, which is what matters when towing, torque. 

40 minutes ago, Fabricator909 said:

Lol, no the trailer brakes aren't stuck. I think it should tow better than what it does for having 425 hp. The 6.0 tows better than the 6.2 does, which is why I think the 6.2 is not offered in the 2500 and up trucks. My business partner has the same truck I do and has the same complaint, the engine doesn't build power until high rpms.  It is fine for commuting,  but for towing there are better options. I would like to tow with an EcoBoost to see what the difference is, since everybody says it builds torque in the low rpms, which is what matters when towing, torque. 

I have never seen a review where the 6.0 will out tow a 6.2.  Can you point me to one?

The reason that the 6.2 isn't offered in the 2500 is the same reason the EcoBoost isn't offered - duty cycle.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I know it isn't 100% apples to apples, but do a search on Fast Lane Truck and see the time/reviews for a 6.2 and then for the 6.0 (spoiler, the 6.2 is thought of as one of the best engines in a 1500, and the 6.0 is thought of as one of the worst in a 2500).

This is going back a few years, but I know that the old 8.1 would out tow the 6.0.  And I know from personal experience that the 6.2 will run the passes in Colorado faster than the 8.1 with the same load (my personal experience of towing my Malibu with a 2500 Burb with the 8.1 vs my Denali with the 6.2).

The 6.0 will not out perform the 6.2.

I haven’t driven the 6.2 but the 6.0 in a 3500 actually puts out some decent power towing 9400 loaded boat trailer and a 11000 plus 5th wheel decently. Not at the same time , lol. 

The 6.2 is a solid engine. I did a 7 hour trip with my 6.2 Silverado towing a 25LSV. Including towing through TN and NC mountains. Couldn’t ask for anything more from a gasser.

The downfall and possibly one of the reasons they’re not in 2500s is the 93 fuel.

Does anyone run 87 or 89 in their 6.2?

31 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The 6.2 is a solid engine. I did a 7 hour trip with my 6.2 Silverado towing a 25LSV. Including towing through TN and NC mountains. Couldn’t ask for anything more from a gasser.

The downfall and possibly one of the reasons they’re not in 2500s is the 93 fuel.

I do run 87 or 89 in my Denali.  I don't strictly run those.  I tend to alternate between the low grade and premium.  I do the same with my boat.  I was strictly using Rec fuel and decided to start using premium because it cost a little less than the ethanol free fuel.  I have not noticed any difference between the two fuels.  However, anything noticeable would be long term engine wear. 

I pretty much only run the 93 in my 6.2 Denali and I love "the engine"! I tried the 89 and the gas mileage seemed to suffer more than I liked. Right now I am getting a hand calculated 18.8 mpg in town so I can't really complain as it is close to what my '12, 5.3 was getting in my Tahoe. I think what was the most disappointing was that the slight performance decrease seen from using the 89 seemed to amplify all of the bad quirks of the POS 8 speed. Towing doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I have more old man driving pants on that thing is as lost as last years Easter eggs.

Edited by wdr
sp

I own a 2016 GMC 1500 crew with standard bed.  Love the 6.2 motor......loathe the 8 speed transmission.  Total dumpster fire.  Truck tows great even with the lower (3.23) gear ratio but it certainly has drawbacks.  GM paint blows, the drivers seat has a noticable shift/shimmy periodically when turning corners, and the transmission shifting in low gears is nerve racking sometimes.  I've had it into the dealer for all the problems listed and they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't fix any of them permanently.  However, my buddy had horror stories about his now sold 2017 F150 with the smaller Eco.  Burning oil and the dealer told him that was "normal".  Um.......

15 minutes ago, Cap305 said:

the drivers seat has a noticable shift/shimmy periodically when turning corners

There is a TSB for this issue and you can get it resolved at the dealer under warranty.  Edit:  NV .. looks like PI1138A only applies to '15?

My '15 GMC w/ the 6spd was junk as well .. I didn't have any problems with the motor (mine had the 5.3) but shifting was just awful.  All these fancy transmissions and issues are driven by gas mileage requirements.   

I love my '17 F150 with 3.5 EB but started to notice some hard downshifts.  Hope its nothing but .... 

Edited by pauley71
2 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

There is a TSB for this issue and you can get it resolved at the dealer under warranty.  My '15 GMC w/ the 6spd was junk as well .. I didn't have any problems with the motor (mine had the 5.3) but shifting was just awful.  All these fancy transmissions and issues are driven by gas mileage requirements.   

I love my '17 F150 with 3.5 EB but started to notice some hard downshifts.  Hope its nothing but .... 

I had the TSB done and she no workee.  Done twice actually.  First time they "greased the track" and shockingly that worked for a while.  The second time I think they put in a shim of some sort.  I've basically just gotten used to it.  

@Cap305"the drivers seat has a noticable shift/shimmy periodically when turning corners" I thought I was the only one with this problem. Guess I will try and get them to fix it a time or two as mine is a '15. I had my torque converter go out at 20K. They said it was a known issue and replaced it with "the better one". It did start shifting better, imagine that.

I have a 6 speed transmission. It's fine. It's obviously tuned for gas mileage and not performance. I'm fine with any way that it behaves, as long as it lasts a long time. I'm fine giving up comfort for longevity.

4 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

I've only used 87 in any of my vehicles with the 6.2

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

I have never seen a review where the 6.0 will out tow a 6.2.  Can you point me to one?

The reason that the 6.2 isn't offered in the 2500 is the same reason the EcoBoost isn't offered - duty cycle.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I know it isn't 100% apples to apples, but do a search on Fast Lane Truck and see the time/reviews for a 6.2 and then for the 6.0 (spoiler, the 6.2 is thought of as one of the best engines in a 1500, and the 6.0 is thought of as one of the worst in a 2500).

This is going back a few years, but I know that the old 8.1 would out tow the 6.0.  And I know from personal experience that the 6.2 will run the passes in Colorado faster than the 8.1 with the same load (my personal experience of towing my Malibu with a 2500 Burb with the 8.1 vs my Denali with the 6.2).

The 6.0 will not out perform the 6.2.

. I own both, actually two 6.0 trucks, an express van, and a  2015  3500 12' flatbed. Towing, I will take the 6.0, maybe my transmission is junk which is why I feel the 6.0 pulls better. The '15 transmissions I have read have torque converter problems which may  be the underlying issue, not sure. I'm just glad that it is a lease, no way in hell that a 70k sticker price on a 1/2 ton truck should be having torque converter problems.

Honestly for the money, you might as well go diesel for what they charge for 1/2 tons trucks, going to wait a while on the Dmax engines however, know someone with a contract at the Dmax plant, and their quality is in the toilet since GM has been taking things over from Isuzu ...imagine that lol.

7 minutes ago, Fabricator909 said:

. I own both, actually two 6.0 trucks, an express van, and a  2015  3500 12' flatbed. Towing, I will take the 6.0, maybe my transmission is junk which is why I feel the 6.0 pulls better. The '15 transmissions I have read have torque converter problems which may  be the underlying issue, not sure. I'm just glad that it is a lease, no way in hell that a 70k sticker price on a 1/2 ton truck should be having torque converter problems.

Honestly for the money, you might as well go diesel for what they charge for 1/2 tons trucks, going to wait a while on the Dmax engines however, know someone with a contract at the Dmax plant, and their quality is in the toilet since GM has been taking things over from Isuzu ...imagine that lol.

In terms of cost, I bought a full loaded 2014 High Country 6.2 in the low-30s about a year ago (68k miles). There is no way to get a loaded 2500HD duramax for that price, with similar mileage. You're at at least another $15k.

Edited by boardjnky4
15 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

In terms of cost, I bought a full loaded 2014 High Country 6.2 in the low-30s about a year ago (68k miles). There is no way to get a loaded 2500HD duramax for that price, with similar mileage. You're at at least another $15k.

Diesels retain their value better.

For new though, just glancing at the GMC website, as shown denali's are 60k for a 1500 and 70k for a 2500 with a duramax. I think the dmax option is 6k? Bigger brakes, frame, suspension components, etc make it justifiable for the 10k difference.

I think that is why you see so many 2500 Denali Trucks vs. 1500 Denalis. GM didn't have a commercial leasing option for 2500's  when we got our 1500's.

Edited by Fabricator909
added
3 minutes ago, Fabricator909 said:

For new though, just glancing at the GMC website, as shown denali's are 60k for a 1500 and 70k for a 2500 with a duramax. I think the dmax option is 6k? Bigger brakes, frame, suspension components, etc make it justifiable for the 10k difference.

Yes, but spending that much wasn't an option for me. I had to stick to a budget of low-mid 30s.

Justifiable? Yes. Affordable? That's up to the buyer's finances to determine.

Edited by boardjnky4

I had a 2015 F150 V8 Super Crew at the beginning of the season and sold it to lease a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel.  My gas bill is easily cut in half.  I like the looks of the Ford way better but the savings in gas and the cost of my lease it was a very easy decision to switch.

I should say my gas bill while towing is cut in half.

Edited by riot138
29 minutes ago, riot138 said:

I had a 2015 F150 V8 Super Crew at the beginning of the season and sold it to lease a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel.  My gas bill is easily cut in half.  I like the looks of the Ford way better but the savings in gas and the cost of my lease it was a very easy decision to switch.

How is the eco diesel for towing? Im not overly impressed with the hemi, but im also over 5k elevation

52 minutes ago, Brantb said:

How is the eco diesel for towing? Im not overly impressed with the hemi, but im also over 5k elevation

Although the towing weight limit is lower on the eco diesel than my v8 f150 the diesel pulls it like there is nothing on there.  Passing is easy and getting up to speed is quick.

10 hours ago, Fabricator909 said:

I think that is why you see so many 2500 Denali Trucks vs. 1500 Denalis. GM didn't have a commercial leasing option for 2500's  when we got our 1500's.

We bought a new 2018 Dmax 2500LTZ leather for 55k in January. We are going to take a trip to SD, so I will hand calc the mpg. It is my wife's, she sells ins. and bonds to contractors. Doesn't have anything heavier than 500 lbs in it.  I tow our boat, and CTL with my 13 Ram 2500 diesel.

22 hours ago, Stevo said:

We aren’t talking soccer mom suv’s ... this is a truck thread pumpkin.

(pats on head)

What makes an EXT an SUV?  Or not a truck?  Has a full truck bed.  Full frame.  Hell - what can a typical quad cab, short bed pickup 1500 do than an EXT or Avalanche can't do?  403HP / 417ft/lb in mine. 

8 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

What makes an EXT an SUV?  Or not a truck?  Has a full truck bed.  Full frame.  Hell - what can a typical quad cab, short bed pickup 1500 do than an EXT or Avalanche can't do?  403HP / 417ft/lb in mine. 

It’s a Camino! ;)