Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Rig Recommendation

FatGoldChain

Hi TMC,

Figured I would check with you guys to get your opinion.

Current Tow Vehicle-  2003 Toyota Sequoia limited- 212k miles  Max Tow capacity 6200lbs

Boat: 2017 Axis T22 Dry weight approximately 4000-4400lbs (getting conflicting answers on this)  Trailer guess for axis tandem axle is probably 1200-1500lbs? 

Total weight fully loaded maybe close to 6000- 6200lbs?

Currently the tow vehicle is not a daily driver but if I upgrade I will make this a daily driver

What I am thinking is:

2018 Ford F150 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 Limited or Platinum

2018 Chevy  1500 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4x4

2018 GMC 1500 Sierra SLT or Denali Crew Cab 4x4

2018 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab Limited 

Leaning towards the Chevy/GMC because I can fit it in my third Car garage. But ultimately looking for the best tow vehicle with the best features and bang for the Buck.   I do like toyota's have owned a few of them before and always seem to be well built and last a long time.  Fuel Economy is also a consideration. 

Let the recommendations for F250's and 3500's Begin lol

thanks!

I had a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT with the 5.3 and my current 2017 F150 EB Plat destroys it for towing. Also shifts much better. Things could have changed with the new GM transmission but go 6.2 at least. 

My f150 ecoboost tows like nothing I've ever had before, particularly at our elevation.  That being said reliability has been an issue at only 40k miles.  

I've been very impressed with my 2015 F150 Plat and is a much better tow vehicle then my prior '11 Yukon Denali with the 6.2.  60,000 miles on the F150 and it's been solid to date.  

interesting some of you are having issues with the Ford EB.  

Any input to tow capacity on these trucks?  Google results are all over the place.  Would like somewhere in the 7.5- 8k range to feel comfortable towing this bigger heavier boat.

1 minute ago, FatGoldChain said:

interesting some of you are having issues with the Ford EB.  

Any input to tow capacity on these trucks?  Google results are all over the place.  Would like somewhere in the 7.5- 8k range to feel comfortable towing this bigger heavier boat.

Tow capacity for any truck depends on cab configuration, drivetrain and gear ratio.  Ford will have a chart with exact numbers

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

You are going to get a ton of different opinions from everyone on here because we all bought our trucks based on our own personal preferences. Some like the GM better some the ford some the ram some the Toyota... go drive them all. Ask them if it would be ok to tow your boat with it. Buy the one you like most. None will be a bad decision. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

You are going to get a ton of different opinions from everyone on here because we all bought our trucks based on our own personal preferences. Some like the GM better some the ford some the ram some the Toyota... go drive them all. Ask them if it would be ok to tow your boat with it. Buy the one you like most. None will be a bad decision. 

To add to that, talk to people you know about their trucks, who use them as you will.  Of particular interest to me is neighbors who were die hard brand x owners until the last few years. 

13 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Thumbs down . . . We all know you have an opinion.:biggrin:

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, DAI said:

Thumbs down . . . We all know you have an opinion.:biggrin:

Haha I do and I’d suggest either GM. But what good does that really do for him? 

Although here is some data... I have the 5.3 Z71 crew cab with max tow package. I just drove 1200 miles round trip and averaged 20.9 mpg with the cruise set at 79 with city driving in Nashville. A month ago we took a demo 2017 vtx up north, two hour trip. I drove 70-75 and did a lot of aggressive passing because I wanted to know how the truck did if I needed to get on it. Still averaged 10.1mpg and the truck never missed a beat. Had tons of power to pass or go up hills. 

But all new trucks are going to perform similar to that. Some will be better then others depending on type of driving and location. He needs to drive them for himself to know which one is best for him. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

@oldjeep hit the nail on the head.  I was sure I had to have a 3/4 ton and was all set to pull the trigger.  A couple of people I trust, assured me my 1/2 ton choice would be more than adequate.  I bought my favorite after driving them all.  I haven’t given it a second thought since.   All the new trucks are nice.  

ahopkins22LSV
15 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If you’re gonna get GM, wait for the 2019.

The new 1500 is awesome. Been in one quite a bit lately. Although you can probably steal an 18 right now so it would be tempting.

My first choice would be a RAM 1500. Then ford. Then GM with a 6.2. 

You mentioned you want best features bang for the buck and MPG. That will make it hard for you to choose a Toyota. 

At the end of the day it’s all about what YOU want that will also take care of what you need it to do. If that’s a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, Ford, GM, Dodge or whatever else then so be it. Drive a few of them and figure out what features are important to you. I have a 14 f350 and have had zero issues with it but that’s what I need since we have a big fifth wheel and a small farm. I went with the Ford because I got a pretty good deal on it and it felt roomier to me. Just like with a boat, test them out and see which one fits you and your need. If one of them checks all the boxes and you like it then go with it. Just don’t settle and down the road regret your decision. If it’s not perfect then move on to the one that is. 

I hear what you guys are saying about the test drives. I am afraid however coming from an 03 sequoia everything will seem amazing. 

I do do like the idea of actually towing my boat around with it, as a test though.

I lean toward GMC simply because of the look