Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

95 Echelon with no electricity

Dutchtouch14

Boat has been running great all week.  Launched it today.  Turned key and...nothing.  Zero electricity.  Battery is charged.  Cables are attached.  Any suggestions?

Just for grins. All leads to the alternator are connected?  Not sure where the fuses or circuit breaker may be. Can you trace power wire under helm?

You say you have voltage to the starter.  I'll assume that means you tested it with a volt meter or test lamp.  Use that to test the voltage at the key switch.  Yes, key switches can go bad also.  And fuses.  Probably under the helm. 

Tested with a test lamp.  I can find the breaker/fuse box but have no idea how to change/ fix them. I'll double check the ignition switch but I don't think we had power going to it.  

I only get power on one side of the 90 amp starter fuse.  Is that normal? Or could that be my issue?

Edited by Dutchtouch14
On 8/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Ballay said:

Just for grins. All leads to the alternator are connected?  Not sure where the fuses or circuit breaker may be. Can you trace power wire under helm?

Have you done this yet?

58 minutes ago, Dutchtouch14 said:

I only get power on one side of the 90 amp starter fuse.  Is that normal? Or could that be my issue?

I know they are totally different models but on my boat there is a mechanical circuit breaker downstream from the battery towards the helm; the cable is a 6 or 8 gauge and the bigger 2 gauge cables go directly to the starter in the other direction...so in this scenario you would still have power to the starter but no power going to the helm.  Logically the circuit breaker should be someplace accessible and obvious. 

Never heard of a starter fuse...maybe that's your helm fuse and it needs to be replaced.  A fuse rated at 90amps would pop the second you tried to turn the starter.

If that is blown I will bet you a beer that it is what powers your helm; my hunch is it's not a fuse for the starter, but a fuse located at the starter and powers the helm.  What size is the cable on the "bad" side of the fuse?

And FYI, this is what I have going to the helm...I don't see a reason why you couldn't retrofit it and be done with the archaic fuse.  Circuit breakers are reset-able; a fuse leaves you stranded.

https://www.grainger.com/product/30PD16?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916716157!!!g!82495987797!&ef_id=WyfMdQAAAJzS0FdN:20180806203037:s

30PD16_AS01?$mdmain$

Cheaper one here on eBay.

Edited by formulaben

Bypass with a wire to see if it works. Be careful not to burn yourself or the boat. Only go to acc. Do not try to start with the bypass.