Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stripped sub screw

da24ve

I have a 2015 A24.  Just picked it up and noticed first time out that the bass was turned way down.  Thought it was odd so I adjusted it to normal levels.  Then I heard a bad rattling noise from the sub at the helm.  Oh crap blown speaker?  No, one of the screws that holds the surround in place was loose.  Easy-peasy fix... till I found out the plastic was stripped out.  Screw is in place but isn't grabbing anything and it rattles.  I tried to access the back of the panel from teh bow, but these does not seem to be any access behind the bow cushion.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Would it be under warranty?  I was thinking of drilling it out and putting in a slightly larger screw.  Id rather fix it myself then take it to the dealer if I can do it easily.

Try using an easy out tool (aka screw extractor), it that doesn't work then I would drill it out.   This would be the same process the dealer would follow.

So one of the black screws in the plastic tub just spins? Remove all the other screws and put a little pulling tension on the tub by the screw and spin it in reverse. They usually back out then. You can fill the old hole with some 2-part, then re-drill when cured. 

Thanks for the tips.  I got ti fixed.  OE screw was an M8 stainless.  I just replaced it with an M10 (one size up) and the threads held perfectly!  No rattle, sub now sounds great!