Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet replacement for gunnels/motorbox/seat bases

braindamage

I’d like to replace my 18 yr old carpet with the gator step from the group buy.👍

but...I’m not sure what to do with all the carpet that covers the vertical surfaces.  Should I do carpet? Gatorstep? Other ideas?

Sometimes a little too much GS is too much. I still have the carpet on my curved seat bases and think it would look kind of cheap if I went and GS it. For a more square sided interior like on my friends ‘17 T23 and ‘16 Mojo it looks like it belongs there. It really depends on the lines IMHO. I am thinking with your older boat carpet on the interior would look nicer. The motor box, unless it is perfectly square and or you are a die and pattern maker is going to be a nightmare to template. BICBW. IIWM, for the storage areas, I would rip out the carpet and forget I ever had it in there. I hate carpet in anything I cant see to clean. In my LSV anything in a storage area is sitting in a 24 ct plastic beverage crate to keep it off of the deck. It keeps things so much drier, more secure and easier to pull out and restock clean if needed. 

Edited by wdr
Sp
  • Like 1
On 8/2/2018 at 9:37 PM, braindamage said:

I’d like to replace my 18 yr old carpet with the gator step from the group buy.👍

but...I’m not sure what to do with all the carpet that covers the vertical surfaces.  Should I do carpet? Gatorstep? Other ideas?

Look at a material called Ozite

It is a carpet material without a backing, so it doesn't wink at you when you go apply it around corners, also it dries faster than carpet,

I used some that matched by color scheme in the areas that no one walks on.

I used black vinyl for the observers compartment floor

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Look at a material called Ozite

It is a carpet material without a backing, so it doesn't wink at you when you go apply it around corners, also it dries faster than carpet,

I used some that matched by color scheme in the areas that no one walks on.

I used black vinyl for the observers compartment floor

I’ll order a sample and see what it feels/looks like. Thanks!!

8 hours ago, wdr said:

Sometimes a little too much GS is too much. I still have the carpet on my curved seat bases and think it would look kind of cheap if I went and GS it. For a more square sided interior like on my friends ‘17 T23 and ‘16 Mojo it looks like it belongs there. It really depends on the lines IMHO. I am thinking with your older boat carpet on the interior would look nicer. The motor box, unless it is perfectly square and or you are a die and pattern maker is going to be a nightmare to template. BICBW. IIWM, for the storage areas, I would rip out the carpet and forget I ever had it in there. I hate carpet in anything I cant see to clean. In my LSV anything in a storage area is sitting in a 24 ct plastic beverage crate to keep it off of the deck. It keeps things so much drier, more secure and easier to pull out and restock clean if needed. 

I think that GS on the vertical surfaces would look weird as well. My vertical carpet is starting to thread so I need to do something. Thanks for the input.