Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Oil Change - I did it - You can do it!

31 minutes ago, jammer said:

Only question I have for those that change their own oil -- do you fill the new oil filter with oil prior to placing it on?  What is your experience with the new filter? 

It is an awesome accomplishment to change your own oil, especially since my dealer charges over $300 bucks for an oil change.  When I changed my oil, removing the oil filter was the toughest part of the change.  Over tightening of the filter is a pain to deal with on your next oil change. 

With regards to adding oil to the new filter, yes, I did fill the filter before putting the new filter in place.  I do not know if this is absolutely required, but seemed like it couldn't hurt.  

take the time to insure that the old oil filter's o-ring comes off with the old filter.

rare but it can get stuck to the oil filter mounting flange and will interfere w a good seal leaving a leak to deal with.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jammer said:

Only question I have for those that change their own oil -- do you fill the new oil filter with oil prior to placing it on?  What is your experience with the new filter?  And does anyone have any knowledge of the difference between Mobil's Full Synthetic and Extended Performance synthetic oils?

Happy surfing!

Jammer

No need, but youll need to run the engine for a bit before rechecking the levels as the filter will take about a 3/4 quart to fill.

3 hours ago, tvano said:

take the time to insure that the old oil filter's o-ring comes off with the old filter.

rare but it can get stuck to the oil filter mounting flange and will interfere w a good seal leaving a leak to deal with.

+1....I found out the hard way when the o-ring from the old filter stuck on flange & it made a mess when I started the boat up!  Cleaned up oil for days & will never forget to check the o-ring on future changes.

good job - just did mine a few days ago too.   I would use the regular mobil 1 synthetic.  You are changing it the equivalent of 4000 miles in a car so the other oil is not a value.  The main thing you need to do this at 50 hours is it gets the fuel dilution and crud out.

16 hours ago, 7lazy77 said:

+1....I found out the hard way when the o-ring from the old filter stuck on flange & it made a mess when I started the boat up!  Cleaned up oil for days & will never forget to check the o-ring on future changes.

You'll only do it once. :)  Mine was on a truck.

I will be doing my first diy oil change this weekend.  I bought an oil extractor so I don't have to take my boat out of the water (my lake's boat launch is the worst).  Sounds like it should be pretty easy.

16 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I will be doing my first diy oil change this weekend.  I bought an oil extractor so I don't have to take my boat out of the water (my lake's boat launch is the worst).  Sounds like it should be pretty easy.

Check to make sure the hose on the inside of the bucket goes all the way to the bottom so you can pump oil back out of it.  Mine didnt but I didnt realize that till it was full of oil...

17 hours ago, SkiPablo said:

good job - just did mine a few days ago too.   I would use the regular mobil 1 synthetic.  You are changing it the equivalent of 4000 miles in a car so the other oil is not a value.  The main thing you need to do this at 50 hours is it gets the fuel dilution and crud out.

50 hours doesn't equal 4000 miles unless you average 80 mph.  It's more likely to be about 750 miles, especially if it is a lot of surfing.  Unless there is some kind of car to boat conversion I'm unaware of.....I've always used the "once a year" recommendation for oil changes - and I average between 50-75 hours a year.  Even oil changes in cars every 3k has been essentially debunked as overkill for most people.

5 hours ago, Leftlane said:

50 hours doesn't equal 4000 miles unless you average 80 mph.  It's more likely to be about 750 miles, especially if it is a lot of surfing.  Unless there is some kind of car to boat conversion I'm unaware of.....I've always used the "once a year" recommendation for oil changes - and I average between 50-75 hours a year.  Even oil changes in cars every 3k has been essentially debunked as overkill for most people.

Most of the comparisons of hours in Boats to miles in cars that somewhat make sense is where they boil things down to the manufacturers recommendation for oil changes. 

So, if GM recommends an oil change at 5000 miles, and Marine Power recommends an oil change at 50 hours, then 50 hours is a loose equivalent to 5000 miles. 

Oil and filters are cheap so keep the overkill. I use HDDO like delo or shell. I hand tight the filter. Filters on these boats seem to stick hard. I also pre fill the filter. Long time ago on cars i did not, so when i fired them up, they ran for a few seconds on no oil pressure and they would actually make an odd noise just prior to the oil pressure pumping up. 

get one of these Pela vacume pumps, even cleaner.

The 6.5 Ltr Pela one is used by most dealers down under

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

Picked up a femael socket barb to match the screw on cap of the drain hose mounted to the sump, screw it on up top & the vacume pump does its thing with a few pumps in not time.

From memory it is 1/4" NPT , can locate a straight swivel fitting, you want the swivel fittint to allow to screw it on the drail hose

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O93CHE/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bPxZBb_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=E0WZ2QGR9PSS4W9V773J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=934da710-50ed-5a99-81d5-a3e4c67ad73a&pf_rd_i=383605011

An Ebay knock off

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-7L-Manual-Fuel-Petrol-Syphon-Pump-Transfer-Suction-US-/222594737490

Guessing the Ebay knock off would do the same job