Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Response Fuel Gauge Issue

Okay,

So, my fuel gauge worked perfectly fine last year. Dealer replaced the heater core at the end of the season. From day 1 this year, the fuel gauge hasn’t worked. Not sure if there is any relation here. 

We checked to see if the sending unit has power. It did. So, I ordered a new sending unit. We put it in and still nothing. 

The 3 other gauges in the cluster work perfectly, it’s just he fuel gauge that is stuck on empty. It will flutter a little when the we turn the boat on, but then nothing. 

Any insights as to what to check not would be greatly appreciated. 

Are the "other three gauges in the cluster" actually in one bezel, or separate bezels on the dash?  Either way, swap the cable from a working gauge with the one that is bad. 

If the problem moves or goes away, it's that particular cable from the medallion unit.  If so, you probably have extra gauge wires under the dash.  They are interchangeable. 

Thanks @justgary 

All four gauges are in one bezel. Already tried switching the wiring. It is one wiring harness for the single bezel. Going to try putting a friends in from his boat to see if it is my gauge or the wiring. 

Good. 

I agree with what @footndale said.  Make sure the tank sender wire is secure, and double check the ground wire.  The sender needs a good ground to work right. 

Since the dealer was under your dash with the heater core, that's the most likely place for them to have caused trouble. 

Or maybe they ripped the sender wire apart when they pulled new hoses.  Run a temporary pair of wires (send and ground) direct from the sender to the medallion unit under the dash to see if it will work. 

Diagnosed the problem. The needle is just literally stuck or not working. The other gauge that we plugged in worked perfectly fine. Now, does anyone have an extra lying around so I don’t have to shell out $300 for a new one?

1 hour ago, Creekrat said:

May not match perfectly but you should be able to get one that’s the same size for a lot less. What’s the impedance range?

Not sure. Looked around the net for about 2 hours and didn’t find anything even close. 

2 hours ago, FSSPCat said:

Diagnosed the problem. The needle is just literally stuck or not working. The other gauge that we plugged in worked perfectly fine. Now, does anyone have an extra lying around so I don’t have to shell out $300 for a new one?

The ground wire must be hard grounded before you turn key for the mdc to recognize it and move the needle. There is some delay built in to the mdc to keep the needle from bouncing with the fuel level.

7 hours ago, MadMan said:

This will actually work. I have the spare 2” space. 

Since your gauge jiggles during its power on reset, it may still work.  I would try the temporary wires from the sender to the medallion unit to make sure before I put another gauge in the dash.