Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23LSV with 450 motor and torque prop requiring full throttle to maintain surf speed

IXfe, put down the crack pipe i didn’t reccomend the 1235.   I was making fun of trolls in here for years reccomending 1235s who don’t know any better.  Go read what I wrote. I’ve got 15-20 prop changes under my belt testing new props with OJ... i learned a lot and I’m astutely aware of how changes translate to performance.  Your reccomendation is a joke...  better move that cooler, the dog and the anchor forward! Lol

I told him go max dia and drop 2-3” of pitch. 

7 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

IXfe, put down the crack pipe i didn’t reccomend the 1235.   I was making fun of trolls in here for years reccomending 1235s who don’t know any better.  Go read what I wrote. I’ve got 15-20 prop changes under my belt testing new props with OJ... i learned a lot and I’m astutely aware of how changes translate to performance.  Your reccomendation is a joke...  better move that cooler, the dog and the anchor forward! Lol

I told him go max dia and drop 2-3” of pitch. 

The only one smoking in this thread is you bud.  It’s clear you don’t know s*** about the boat in question.  Your vague, generic recommendations prove that. Making fun of people for recommending 1235??  You’re joking right?  Only you brought it up.  Why would anybody bring a 14.5” comment to a 15” discussion?

Likewise 16” prop recommendation without knowing anything about clearance on this boat. Solid 

Any recommendation without addressing weight distribution is irresponsible. You ignored the fact that the he’s already running 4K rpm.  Why??  Because his prop is trying to launch his boat into orbit.  At some point the prop isn’t fighting the boat’s weight so much as gravity.  With engine, ballast, pnp, wedge, and all his peeps, he has too much weight in the back of the boat and next to nothing up front. You just don’t need more than the 2249 prop he already has.  Most guys are downgrading from that prop cuz it’s too aggressive.  If you knew anything about THIS boat you’d know that  

And 15-20 prop changes??  Wow!!!! I’m impressed.  Sounds like a guy who really knows what he’s doing

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2

to IXFE's point about front/back weight distribution, in my 2016 LSV, when I am fully weighted, if I have anyone sitting on the sun pad or rear facing seats (yes, I know the safety issues here and rarely allow it), I run into the same problem at the OP. I usually have to dump a bunch of weight and/or tell folks to move forward. once I get some weight up front, I never have an issue.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Brianborder said:

I’m looking for some comparisons from others with the same boat and motor setup.  While surfing with 4 people in the boat, factory tanks full plus 500lb PNP bags, 3 clicks up on wedge and torque prop, the boat struggled to maintain surf speed of 10.8 despite being at full throttle.  Motor was loud as heck and running 4100rpm.  I was at 3600’ altitude.   I figured this motor would have adequate power in reserve but it doesn’t seem to be the case.  Anyone else experiencing similar results or is mine an anomaly?

I have a 2018 22VLX with the 410 motor, and I'm running the same 2247 prop you mentioned. I also ran the 2249 prop for the first ~50 hours and it's not really any different at surf speeds. As others have already mentioned, with RPM's that high you are too heavy in the rear with too much wedge. Add some bow weight and try the wedge at 2. The surf wave will have a longer pocket as well.

I run much more ballast than what you described and I can plane out easily with lots of throttle to spare, and the revs are below 3500 RPM while surfing at 10.8 with the wedge at 2. The difference is I have lots of bow weight to balance all of the extra rear weight.

Edited by Brett B
On 8/1/2018 at 2:49 PM, NWBU said:

2 clicks of wedge when at surf speed, 

@NWBU has it right, i think you are running too much wedge @ three clicks up from Lift.  I have found the sweet spot to be 2 click of wedge (see pic).  With 650's in the rear @ 10.8mph, and no bow weight im in the 3400-3600 RPM range.  I actually played around with it and went 3 clicks at bass lake and the RPMS shot up to 4000.  My wife was surfing and i didn't tell her i made the wedge change.  After she got out, she commented that the wave didn't feel as good, and was a bit crumbly. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 7.08.10 AM.png

33 minutes ago, SCMike said:

@NWBU has it right, i think you are running too much wedge @ three clicks up from Lift.  I have found the sweet spot to be 2 click of wedge (see pic).  With 650's in the rear @ 10.8mph, and no bow weight im in the 3400-3600 RPM range.  I actually played around with it and went 3 clicks at bass lake and the RPMS shot up to 4000.  My wife was surfing and i didn't tell her i made the wedge change.  After she got out, she commented that the wave didn't feel as good, and was a bit crumbly. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 7.08.10 AM.png

I might have missed it. Are you running the 2249?

39 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Yep

Thanks. I’m going to try that setup tomorrow. 

Stock plus 650s in the rear. At 10.8mph. Any extra weight anywhere?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder
29 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Are you able to get the 650s full? Seems most are running less weight in pnp than your setup. I’m running 580s, lots are running 475s. 

So not 100% apples to apples, but on my 2014 with the 450 I never could get it to surf speed with the big bags.  Started big 900(?) went down twice, finally ended up with the 400’s and still had trouble if I had a full crew in the back. 

I have now added 250 pounds of lead around the bow tank, and have much better results. 

And I do think that elevation is REALLY hard on the boat. 3600’ is low for me (Powell), and I feel my boat runs pretty well there. Get it up above 7500’ and I can’t fill the PnP rears unless I move 3-4 people up front. 

48 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Are you able to get the 650s full? Seems most are running less weight in pnp than your setup. I’m running 580s, lots are running 475s. 

My dealer put in the fly high “custom malibu” 650s. They get fairly full. I wanted the 580 or 475s but this is what they got. I had to put in engine divider supports but overall I think they can get pretty full but I usually don’t fill them all the way  

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

So i ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. it was only the 3rd time surfing our 18 and dummy us left the dock assist on. It limits your speed and we could not figure out for the life of us why we couldnt reach and maintain surf speed.

realized dock assist was on by accident, turned it off and everything went back to normal.

I am new - for the record, this is our first surf/tow boat.  Have a heck of a time getting the boat to 10.8 with 4-6 adults in a '17 VLX all full plus the PNP.  Stock prop (whatever i bought it with).  But man, surfing is fun!!  Great thread.  Thanks for all the info.  Didn't have a clue in how fast you go at the throttle could limit you getting to the desired speed.

12 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Nope, that’s it.  We typically ride with 4 (me, wife, and my 11 & 10 y/o daughters).  They all sit in the main cabin and none in the bow.  When we have more in the boat we have some sit in the bow.  

12 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Yeah, I just fill them until they start dumping out of the auto vent lines.  

Honestly, I don’t think you need 650s.  580s or 475s would probably be fine.  The only reason I have the 650s is because my dealer had them in stock and he gave me a great deal.  

Ive had great luck with this set up, so I have not changed anything.