Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Ballast in 2004 VLX

dkscism

Hi All,

I'm trying to improve the surf wake on my 2004 VLX (SV23 Hull).  My current setup is: 

Stock MLS Hard Tanks in each side rear locker (Each 200 lb tank full)

Stock MLS Center Ski Locker Tank (500 lb)

Manual Wedge Down

DIY Suck Gate 

Usually have 3-6 people in the boat placed strategically. With the Suck Gate, this setup is actually throwing a pretty big (tall and clean) wave with good push according to my rookie standards. The problem is, the wave/push is very close to the boat.  I'm trying to get the sweet spot further back from the boat as well as lengthen the wave. Every time I search for the answers on how to accomplish this, it always leads to adding ballast in the bow.  First of all, is this indeed the general consensus? 

Which bow Sacs do you guys use for this hull? I'm looking to keep it hidden under the seats. I've found the Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow Sac (725 lbs) online, but didn't know if this was a popular one used here, or if there were other options.

how fast are you going?  8-9mph is the only way I see you getting a biggish wave out of stock ballast with tanks only.  The wave will always be close to the boat unless you get up to the 10.5+ mph range.  Start with that speed and see how things look.  If the wave is too small, you will need to start adding weight, prob in the rear lockers 1st.  If you go big back there is when you really need to start worrying about bow ballast.  I think you are going to need some more rear ballast, and some bow ballast if you really want that thing to start surfing. 

Thanks t a. We go 10.7-11.2 usually. Maybe my standards are too low, but the suck gate is what really made the wave bigger. I should have added that I’m also planning on adding weight to the rear lockers. 

13 minutes ago, dkscism said:

Thanks t a. We go 10.7-11.2 usually. Maybe my standards are too low, but the suck gate is what really made the wave bigger. I should have added that I’m also planning on adding weight to the rear lockers. 

hmm...with only having roughly 400lbs in the very rear of the boat I'm surprised your wave is short and tall at that speed, unless you have some VERY big friends lol.  Yea start by moving ppl towards the front, if it gets too small or mellow, then you may need to add some weight to the back.  Its easier to move ppl around until you find a weight distribution you like, and then you can put extra weight in those places.  Or you can just skip all the in-between and go with 750's in each rear locker, and a triangle sac in the nose (you'll get there in a year or 2 anyways ;) )

Have you played around with the location of your suck-gate? Definite wave change by moving the gate front to back.  But like t a (and old school engine builders) say....there's no replacement for displacement.  Gotta have a lot of weight in our model boat to surf. 

4 hours ago, t a said:

hmm...with only having roughly 400lbs in the very rear of the boat I'm surprised your wave is short and tall at that speed, unless you have some VERY big friends lol.  Yea start by moving ppl towards the front, if it gets too small or mellow, then you may need to add some weight to the back.  Its easier to move ppl around until you find a weight distribution you like, and then you can put extra weight in those places.  Or you can just skip all the in-between and go with 750's in each rear locker, and a triangle sac in the nose (you'll get there in a year or 2 anyways ;) )

This is what I’m planning for. Just trying to find the right bow sac for under the seats. 

4 hours ago, INCOPPNITO said:

Have you played around with the location of your suck-gate? Definite wave change by moving the gate front to back.  But like t a (and old school engine builders) say....there's no replacement for displacement.  Gotta have a lot of weight in our model boat to surf. 

I’ll definitely have to play with the location of the suck gate next time out. Thanks for the tip! 

Unfortunately its been raining in NC every day since Sunday night...

Get ready to break out your credit card.  I have this hull and mine is dialed in well.

#1:  Rip out those stupid locker hard tanks.  Replace with W719 1100lb bags, will fill to about 900lbs.  

#2:  Bow should be the Fly High W711 725lb bag.  Put it under the front seats, will fill to about 300lbs

#3:  100lbs lead stuffed in the nose.  It will take you a couple hours to do it but worth it - you will never see it again

#4:  Another 50 - 150lbs of lead in the nose walkway, depending on your need (read: your crew at the time).  Hidden with you bow filler cushion in place

#5:  Fly High W704 under the port seat for the regular riders.  Regular riding always does better with a bit of a list to port

#6:  150lbs of lead on each side of the boat.  The gap between the seat backs and the hull just in front of each locker.  You can also do under the observer seat and under the dash as well.  That you should experiment with a bit.

Still use the center tank and wedge.  I'm going with speeds from 10.5 - 11.2MPH.  Depends on conditions, crew and rider.  Typically 10.5 to 10.7.  

As always, properly plumbed ballast bags.  This setup will get it done and be 100% hidden.  Just do it right once.

Thanks @Nitrousbird

I’ve actually found a lot of your posts about your setup. I have the 725 fly high for the bow on the way. This is the only area I will have to plumb in. 

On a side note, did you ever get your FAE sorted out? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one, just don’t want to compromise my wave a lot.

3 hours ago, dkscism said:

Thanks @Nitrousbird

I’ve actually found a lot of your posts about your setup. I have the 725 fly high for the bow on the way. This is the only area I will have to plumb in. 

On a side note, did you ever get your FAE sorted out? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one, just don’t want to compromise my wave a lot.

Yes.  Custom surf flap took care of it. They are supposed to be coming out with a deflector like on the Malibu surf pipes that may do the same thing.