Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Minimum depth in new 23 LSV?

CT43

All,

So, we moved over from Moomba this week (2017 Helix).  We bought a brand spanking new, fully loaded 2018 23 LSV (minus shower and bow thrusters).  My wife loves to take our boat to Higgins Lake in MI to visit friends and family.  From the outlet of the launch area was/is 2-4 (per triducer/depth finder) feet for about 1/4 mile, then boom, 60-90 ft.  I was terrified with our Moomba (26" draft) with 5-6 people at 2 ft., but we made it.  Our Bu has a 27" draft.  Be honest, minimum depth in a lake like this (all sand and a few pebbles)????  Thanks all.  - Chad

Edited by CT43
Added previous boat model. Corrected spelling error.

That depth reading is from the position of the transducer, so on plane it's close to the surface of the water.  Going slow, the hull is sunk down, so the depth finder is maybe a foot below the surface, and the depth reading is from that point down.

Based on my experience the depth finder is as mentioned above lower than water level when not on plane so u gain a ft maybe..

25lsv with gas and person or two is only few inches of ground at 36" depth I try to park with water level around 38-40" if any waves will be coming by. 23lsv should be a fair amount less, take it slow! Bring a spare prop!

Edited by The Hulk

Many depth finders have an offset that you can program into the unit so that it automatically subtracts your particular draft distance (e.g. it will subtract say 2 or 3 feet from the calculated depth from the sensor.)  This then gives you a more realistic "depth to prop strike."  That might account for your being able to navigate through what was displayed as 2 feet of water when it was actually 5 feet.  Either way, anything less than 6 feet and I'm :shocked:

On 7/31/2018 at 9:46 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

What launch are you launching at on Higgins? Almost all of them have a channel running out that you will be perfectly fine in.

We launch at the south ramp.  Super shallow the whole way out.  What ramp is deepest or totally safe for the expensive @$$ ride if ours?

ahopkins22LSV
43 minutes ago, CT43 said:

We launch at the south ramp.  Super shallow the whole way out.  What ramp is deepest or totally safe for the expensive @$$ ride if ours?

The south state park? You are completely fine there. Have you see the size Boats that launch there?

On 8/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, formulaben said:

Many depth finders have an offset that you can program into the unit so that it automatically subtracts your particular draft distance (e.g. it will subtract say 2 or 3 feet from the calculated depth from the sensor.)  This then gives you a more realistic "depth to prop strike."  That might account for your being able to navigate through what was displayed as 2 feet of water when it was actually 5 feet.  Either way, anything less than 6 feet and I'm :shocked:

Hmmm... y'all be freaking out on my rivers lol... Cove from launch to lake on 3 ramps is 3 ft (measured by standing in it lol) and last part of cut ranges from 1.8 ft. to 2 ft.  Fortunately there is no rocks or pebbles..  all sand.

@CT43 to overcome this, I fill front ballast and move my peeps up to the front to raise the rear :)

On 8/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, formulaben said:

Either way, anything less than 6 feet and I'm :shocked:

Must be nice!  My dock is a little under 5' at full pool.  I'm regularly 3' when launching or docking.  Don't like it, but at least it is all soft mud.

Yeah, maybe I'm spoiled but middle of my regular canyon-like lake is over 150' deep...in many places the deep end of the day use docks are still over 10' of depth. I have been in places where it gets shallow but I'm always weary.

Edited by formulaben
On 8/2/2018 at 7:51 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

The south state park? You are completely fine there. Have you see the size Boats that launch there?

We launch there and it’s 3-5 ft at dock and 2-4 feet all the way out to main body.  Boat size is irrelevant, it’s about the prop.  Do you know of better ramp around Higgins?  Thanks man.

Edited by CT43
ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, CT43 said:

We launch there and it’s 3-5 ft at dock and 2-4 feet all the way out to main body.  Boat size is irrelevant, it’s about the prop.  Do you know of better ramp around Higgins?  Thanks man.

They are all about that. We always launch out of the south state park and is the nicest IMO. To be honest you are going hard pressed to find a launch that isn't only 3-5 feet. 

You are perfectly fine. You could get up on plane in that channel from the south launch and not have an issue.