Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Setting up to have a perfect wave for wake surfing

Rosler91

hey guys looking for some pointers

I have a 2014 Malibu wakesetter  mxz 20 I have the plug and play for the back tanks . the wake seems pretty good now, most days I have about 6 people riding in the boat for extra weight. what I do is fill all the tanks full, put the power wedge down completely and surf speed is 9.8 to 10.4 MPH and using the surf gate of course. But some times I have a bunch of water splashing in the face of the wave that you'll be surfing. is there a something that I should do differently?

ahopkins22LSV

Spray was a common problem with the early generation mxz’s. Do you have he chrome piece on your gates shown below? If not, that’s your problem. Your dealer can get these for you and will take away the spray. 

D8494A9F-105A-4270-9A23-A8F2296B7167.jpeg.7bc9bc2f5eeb88748a8df8ba6389d253.jpeg

Hey thanks for getting back to me I’m at work but looking at the pictures I do have it looks like I have those. I’m unsure how to up load a picture or I would. 

Edited by Rosler91

Speed should be nearer 10.8 to 11.2  mph and it will firm up the wave for much more “push”,  lengthen it, and get rid of most if not all of the splash you are referring to.  All the best and safe and fun boating season!

• Like 2

right on I'll try that out thank you for the info, I try that out, at 10.4 it doesn't have as much spray so ill take it up try that out . thanks again

ahopkins22LSV

If those chrome pieces aren’t in the right spot it will let spray through still. 

Might want to try putting people in the bow too. If you have too much rear weight the surf gate can be too low in the water and spray will go over top. It’s easy to have too much weight in the rear in a 20’ boat too. 

• Like 1

okay ill have a better look at the chrome pieces, okay ill try putting more people at the bow, should I just leave my bow tank empty if I have lots of people, and just put more people at the bow also in that case. if im surfing the left side should I just fill the tank 100% and maybe the right side like 80% so that surf gate isn't sitting so low in the water.

Edited by Rosler91

No, imho, it will need the bow tank filled, even if you have a couple of people up front.  Don’t be afraid to experiment, but I’m pretty sure you will need the extra weight in the bow especially if you have a big crew. 

• Like 3

Bow weight is my go to solution.  My 2013 20VTX needed 400 in the walkway and 300 up front with a 4 guys in the back and a surfer on the rope.  This in addition to 450 pnp bags.  It would still wash out sometimes on the goofy side due to the gate being burried too deep.  

Watch your bow on pickup... It may want to dip, but I think you'd see some nice improvement with similar weight distribution.

For larger crews I would put the walkway bag in and then stick 2-3 friends in the front!

On 8/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

If those chrome pieces aren’t in the right spot it will let spray through still. 

Might want to try putting people in the bow too. If you have too much rear weight the surf gate can be too low in the water and spray will go over top. It’s easy to have too much weight in the rear in a 20’ boat too. 

Same probkem with my 850’s in rear on my regular side in an a20 .  Finally listened to crew and went 11-11.2, spray gone, wave I knew would get longer but surprisingly it got taller as well snd the faster speed of the tricks was really fun fun coming from 10.6

On 8/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, Rosler91 said:

okay ill have a better look at the chrome pieces, okay ill try putting more people at the bow, should I just leave my bow tank empty if I have lots of people, and just put more people at the bow also in that case. if im surfing the left side should I just fill the tank 100% and maybe the right side like 80% so that surf gate isn't sitting so low in the water.

I list more than that ( less than 80%) and it still sprays , so as they said go faster