Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 VLX Wakesetter - ballast setup

1974JJ

Hey guys,

I just purchased my first wake surf  boat and I could really use some advice regarding ballast so I can get started in the right direction.

Can you provide some suggestions on what I should try for ballast combinations. Should all the hard compartments be fully filled first and then add more weight with the sacs?  It came with a 650lb, 2 400's and a 200lb sac but not sure if I should use some or all of these.  Should I get a wake shaper as well? if so what is the best for this type of boat.

Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same boat. I have 750# bags plumbed into my lockers and a sumo 650# triangle in the bow with johnson reversible pumps. I run a nauticurl wake shaper and i leave the non surf side locker empty (i will filll a little to get the right shape). I mount the wake shaper at about a 30 degree angle so it actually creates lift, essentially giving me a listed wave without having bags on the seat. I am really happy with my wave. It takes some tweaking but when it's right, it's great. I also have a couple hundred pounds of lead spread out around the boat. 150# in the bow and 100# on the starboard side. I will move the bags from the starboard to port side from time to time if i have a light crew and can't just move people around. Our boats are very sensitive to weight changes so a little change in weight will make a big difference in wave shape and characteristics. Gotta play with it to figure it out. 

I have a 2008 VLX.  Not sure how much different.

900 LR 700 RR 250 under RR corner seat 800 front. All full stock ballasts -  Wedge down - Swell wake gate.