Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeskate

Joeprunc

I went out and went wakeskating behind my friends boat and had a blast!!

Thinking of adding one to my quiver of toys to play around after a ski set...or two.

I'm a surfer at heart and kind of like the idea of the Ronix Karver, I like just making turns and don't ever feel the need to do kick-flips or shove-its.  But looking at the board, I feel like after a few times using it, it will be "boring".  Does anyone have any experience with the Karver?  or should i just go with a more traditional board?

• Like 2

I have a liquid force board that came with my boat I'll let go cheap if you want it. Just been setting in my garage. PM me your number and I'll text you pics if you're interested.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I don't do kickflips or shuvs, but I do like to do a lot of 180s,, surface 3s, boardslides on the wake etc.  I think having a mono-directional wakeskate would be fun to try but limiting after a few sets.

• Like 1

I highly recommend getting a regular wood concave board with grip tape. They are way more versatile and can do everything 

I love hearing about new people getting into wakeskating! Not many do it because it take a lot of patience, but it is by far my favorite sport. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for the advice.  After this little thread, I think you've swayed me to get a traditional board.  I'm sure the grip taped boards are better, but honestly I don't ever allow shoes in the boat ;).  I'll probably get a Ronix Collective Electric board.

@BlindSquirrel I PM'd you my email address, shoot me some picts of the board.  I might take you up on that option...or buy a shiny new one.

• Like 2
On 7/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, Joeprunc said:

I went out and went wakeskating behind my friends boat and had a blast!!

Thinking of adding one to my quiver of toys to play around after a ski set...or two.

I'm a surfer at heart and kind of like the idea of the Ronix Karver, I like just making turns and don't ever feel the need to do kick-flips or shove-its.  But looking at the board, I feel like after a few times using it, it will be "boring".  Does anyone have any experience with the Karver?  or should i just go with a more traditional board?

If your a surface skater or if you have airs and olle’s the Hyperlite catalyst Nomad is bad a** and durable.  Got thrashed at a contest buy a young guy on my catalyst two weeks ago!!  He had 180 olle airs one wake I think , didn’t see if he was wake to wake so he bombed my surface trick routine .  

I’ve seen a super talented wskeboarder that never skates do 2 wake 180 olle airs behind my boat on stock mls and wedge on that board.  The EVA works great. He was bolts on the landings! Get the 44 though older used at either length is a ghost , even new and expensive for a skate they are often in low supply cause they don’t mske that many each year I suspect. If you can’t find one now, look for new season production and grab one , it will last a lifetime, it’s wakeboard construction with surf board thickness   

you can easily do hang ten surface wake crosses on this thing, my favorite show off 

Sometimes just getting a cheap wood ply construction with an EVA from LF or others for $99 snd free shipping is the way to go except you will replace it regularly every 2-3 years, they are durable to dings but plys come apart.  

Key to surface turn in any direction or Board riding position is to learn Board slide 180’s to backward and possibly even backwards Board slides wake crosses (HARD) but not mandatory but ups your backwards skills when things go wrong  ,

then 180 from backwards Board slide to forward Board slide doing both front snd back in both directions.  Once you master that all combinations of 3’s to 5’s snd 7’s to 9’s  are possible in all directions regular or goofy or Board slide

you can also learn an  Olay( not sure of spelling ) where you are Board slide forwards and you pull/yank Board upstream and throw handle over head and over one shoulder and 360 around under the rope to forwards boardslide in both directions 

skate is a great exercise if you don’t stop spinning.  You start snd learn everything directly behind boat with no weight or wedge and then involve the wake on your 360’s while Wake crossing both wakes and then add wedge , then eventually weight to the routine 

I do all of this at 15-15.2 mph except the hang ten wake crosses at 19.6. 

When  we added weight and lots of it with wedge we had to set paddle wheel cruise to 16.6 and bump it down to 15.2 cause of the surging at the slow set speed , but really don’t need weight for any of this for years

Ive skated now for 17? Years.  Best thing I ever learned and I learned all of the disciplines.  Extends your set time on Water way more than your wakeboarding sets could or at least equal so you get 3 disciplines a day 

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

If your a surface skater or if you have airs and olle’s the Hyperlite catalyst Nomad is bad a** and durable.  Got thrashed at a contest buy a young guy on my catalyst two weeks ago!!  He had 180 olle airs one wake I think , didn’t see if he was wake to wake so he bombed my surface trick routine .  

I’ve seen a super talented wskeboarder that never skates do 2 wake 180 olle airs behind my boat on stock mls and wedge on that board.  The EVA works great. He was bolts on the landings!

you can easily do hang ten surface wake crosses on this thing, my favorite show off 

Sometimes just getting a cheap wood ply construction with an EVA from LF or others for $99 snd free shipping is the way to go except you will replace it regularly every 2-3 years, they are durable to dings but plys come apart.  

Key to surface turn in any direction or Board riding position is to learn Board slide 180’s to backward and possibly even backwards Board slides wake crosses (HARD) but not mandatory but ups your backwards skills when things go wrong  ,

then 180 from backwards Board slide to forward Board slide doing both front snd back in both directions.  Once you master that all combinations of 3’s to 5’s snd 7’s to 9’s  are possible in all directions regular or goofy or Board slide

you can also learn an  Olay( not sure of spelling ) where you are Board slide forwards and you pull/yank Board upstream and throw handle over head and over one shoulder and 360 around under the rope to forwards boardslide in both directions 

skate is a great exercise if you don’t stop spinning.  You start snd learn everything directly behind boat with no weight or wedge and then involve the wake on your 360’s while Wake crossing both wakes and then add wedge , then eventually weight to the routine 

I do all of this at 15-15.2 mph except the hang ten wake crosses at 19.6. 

When  we added weight and lots of it with wedge we had to set paddle wheel cruise to 16.6 and bump it down to 15.2 cause of the surging at the slow set speed , but really don’t need weight for any of this for years

What rope length do you use?

Your arms must be crazy strong to ride at only 16. So much drag. It’s also too slow to create surface tension to Ollie. 44” makes it hard to do tricks as well. 

Wakeskaters generally ride a 38”-41” board and go 20mph at 55-70’

20 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

What rope length do you use?

I start at full length when learning.  as I have added some weight this year and to cross or trick the bigger wake , where there is more peak and less foam from slower speeds, I go shorter.

whrn learning spins behind the boat the longer rope puts you in smoother water and the longer rope gives you more time to do s trick outside the wake before you drift into the wake st end of your trick

i really don’t think since I’m not airing the skate that it really matters very much anyway 

dont forget to learn 180’s to cuff when learning all of your different 180’s

13 hours ago, wakemitch said:

Your arms must be crazy strong to ride at only 16. So much drag. It’s also too slow to create surface tension to Ollie. 44” makes it hard to do tricks as well. 

Wakeskaters generally ride a 38”-41” board and go 20mph at 55-70’

I get it, but airs ain’t my thing, the slower speeds allow you to complete your surface spins easier , try 7 to 9 combo surface tricks at your higher speeds and I doubt,  unless your way outside the wake with full length rope snd you still wouldn’t finish , youll finish the 2nd  360 handle pass !

try 2 to 3 surface handle passes at those speeds ! Especially when doing Board slide 3’s 5’s 7’s or 9’s

yes I do have strong arms from this but mainly I have a blast, don’t get hurt, snd get exercise

some of worst water sport injuries come from airs where one foot is on Board and other comes off .

Didnt Grubb get hurt like that?  Maybe that’s why he surfs more, no clue really about him though I have always admired his 2wake airs and other skills.   but after awhile you can only take so many slams , wskeboarding slams is all I have left in me.  Heck , even my surf falls have become more violent as I have progressed  

i severely broke my femur 3 years ago and it held me back in surf airs till this day .  The skate snd it’s surface turns  and tricks and surfing was all I could do for  year and a half 

maybe I’ll try some faster olles before I hang ten wake cross , yes I have found them difficult at that speed but they are difficult to me on a wakeboard at 21

i guess if I want surf airs I need to start practicing, thanks for the  tip

Edited by granddaddy55
On 7/31/2018 at 2:40 PM, wakemitch said:

I highly recommend getting a regular wood concave board with grip tape. They are way more versatile and can do everything 

I love hearing about new people getting into wakeskating! Not many do it because it take a lot of patience, but it is by far my favorite sport. 

But why the surface requiring shoes, I got killed by a guy in s surf contest on an EVA surf board borrowed from someone else throwing multiple shuvs in a row .  I have seen what good skaters do with the shoes for airs and Board flips , so I get it, but I don’t want another wet stinky (not made of binding material ) shoe in boat because I forgot to thoroughly dry them one time, snd over course is weekend I know they must stay soaked? 

If you grew up skateboarding you wouldn’t choose any other way but for those of us who didn’t it sort of makes no sense and makes it uncomfortable for those who wsnt to try your skate.  I did one barefoot run on tape and I’ll never do it again

i agree about the light wood concave ply boards, but after 2 or three falling apart I wanted somethings different . I can literally hang my toes over front edge with those boards doing hang ten wake crosses.  I highly recommend guys learn that trick, talk about a blast !

agsin I saw somebody kill it on my thick heavy fiberglass Nomad for w2w behind my boat and someone borrowed it two weeks ago at a contest and killed me with it.  Both of those guys had never ridden it before and never ride skate regularly 

SO GLAD TO SHARE THE SKATE STOKE WITH YOU! And I’m also glad to see it catch on here in the forum. 

It saved my wife’s boarding career.  After a retina blow out and repair laser surgery in her 1st month of wakeboarding 7 years ago , she rode skate for five years.  It allowed her to stay in the game . Now she wakeboards preferably to skate snd is doing one wake hops.  She finally rode a little skate fir first time this year last weekend. She’s been leading the wakeboard charge for us this year to help me get over my fears!

Edited by granddaddy55