Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Malibu Wakesetter Cutting out under load ???

I recently purchased a 2003 malibu wake setter 21' ... the boat seems to fire right up and run strong until I really start to get into the gas then it seems to have a constant need to cut out and cut back on. it does have moments when it will run fine for a good solid trip across the lake and back how ever more often then not I seem to have this issue. 

to me it really seems like water in the gas. We have drained the tank and refilled it though and I'm still having this issue .. Any one have any suggestions ???

Edited by freeman03
added more

Make sure to search on here for fuel pump, injector, vapor lock. All kinds of info to help track the possible issues. When was the last tune up? Cap or rotor may need replacing. Fuel filter may just be clogged as may the fuel pump inlet. 

^^^ What justgary and williemon said. I actually have a liquid filled gauge on my fuel rail. It just cuts out so much BS. There is going to be a bunch of stuff you should check.  It could be the check valve on top of your tank where your fuel supply line hooks up to. This could be stuck in a semi closed position. It will allow the boat to run but under load(high fuel demand) it will starve the fuel system. I have seen this happen on 2 boats..... One was mine :(   Does that have the cool fuel setup?

Keep us posted!

HUGH
:)

Edited by HHARRIS

I had the same problem with the same year boat.  $15 fuel filter and 5 min later all is good.  Start simple first.  Save the old fuel filter if that is not the issue then you have a spare filter.

Thanks for all the great advice . So far I have done a complete tune up all the way down to the cap and rotor . Also found that my fuel pump wires were pretty  corroded to a point of breaking off . Pulled them off and re did them with all new connectors . Issues is still there and I’m still slowly weeding out all the advice from above . Next step is to pick up a fuel pressure gauge and see how we look with the fuel pressure .

Does anyone know if this boat has a fuel water separator and where it is located? I purchased one at my local marina however they don’t deal with Malibu and im not sure if I received the correct one or not .  

I have only had this boat about 3 weeks so I’m new to Malibu . Again thanks for any input . 

Edited by freeman03
2 hours ago, freeman03 said:

Does anyone know if this boat has a fuel water separator and where it is located? I purchased one at my local marina however they don’t deal with Malibu and im not sure if I received the correct one or not .  

It could have one, if it does you can find it by tracing your fuel line from the tank to the pump. We had a similar experience of fuel starvation and our issue turned out to be the internal failure of the fuel line. The line looked good from the outside but was deteriorated, causing a clog, from ethanol. 

Like others said, start simple.  Our 335 is a reliable engine and not very complicated.  More or less, just a 1999 Chevy VIN K engine. It did not come with a water separator. Your fuel pressure test is a good start, pressure should stay between 37 and 45 psi.