Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 LSV surf setup

kayemaye

I’m sure this topic has been beat to death but I couldn’t find anything about my specific model.  Bought this boat new.  Been surfing behind it for years.  Always wished the wave was a bit longer.  Thought a Mission Delta might be the silver bullet to get the longer wave and quicker setup I was hoping for.  

I’m 6’2” 225lbs. I surf goofy on the starboard side.  Back stock tank full and a 750lb sack on top.  Wedge 3/4 down.  10.6mph. Good push for my big a$$.  Problem is I’m 2-4ft off the platform.  Been trying 3’s and can’t get there.  I’m sure that’s operator error but a little wiggle room on a longer wake would sure help.  My normal crew is my wife and 2 kids who are 50lbs each.

Bottom line, I tried the delta with stock ballast with and without wedge.  10.4-11.2mph.  2 more 750s on top.  Then started draining from left until it was surfable.  Couldn’t get anything positive from the Delta.

Any help with or without the delta would be great.  I’d like to hear what your surf setups are.  Thanks

Do you have your center and bow tanks full too? With that much weight in the rear, you’ll also need some extra bow or walkway weight on top of the stock tanks to bring the nose down and lengthen the wave. That’s with or without the Delta gate.

Listed will give you more push but either listed or using the gate should give you a good wave on the goofy side if you fill all stock tanks, fill the extra locker bag (s) and add some bow weight. Sounds like you have the extra bags already.

I have a 23 LSV as well and here is my set up...

Fill all the stock tanks (250 rears, 500 center, 350 front) and also have 910’s in each rear locker with power wedge 2 or 3 up from the btm.  Depending on how many people we have on board I try to put at least 300 pounds up front to lengthen wave a bit, otherwise the wave is tall but fairly short.  For the days with just my wife and kids I use the 675 pound tsunami bow sack about half full up front.  The best wave seems to be with a full boat of peeps with people up front and on the surf side.  I use the Nauticurl surf gate and really like it!

Hope that helps!

Agree with the bow weight for sure but it seems like a little weight on the floor might be in order until you get the kids fattened up some.  I run from 10.8 to 11.2 with about 400 on the floor and a bow bag,  my eight year old uses the floor bag as a water bed/seat.

With the delta I tried a bunch of things.  First started with all stock tanks full and the delta.   That looked ok but had no push at all.  I added a 750 to each locker.  First right only then both.  You all are definitely right about the nose needing to come down but with no push I couldn’t see any good coming from putting more nose weight.  When I just run listed the best option I have run has been the factory rear, 750 on top and the wedge a few clicks up from bottom.  Nothing in the center or front.  I have tried some front weight but lost all the push.  I probably over filled the front/center.  I’ll have to try adding some but not filling them.

Any thoughts on the delta position.  The delta was probably 18” forward from the stern because of the suction cup position, when I last tried it.  I reconfigured it so I can get it to the back but haven’t tried it yet.  Seems too deep in the water.  Mission says they want it half in the water.  Mine ends up 2” under.  Maybe I need to sink this thing to the rubrail so i can stick it above the body line.  Ha

I haven’t gotten to try y’alls setups yet.  I was hoping to yesterday but my 5 and 7 year old don’t seem to want to drive without me in the boat.  Weak if you ask me.  Thanks for the responses!

On my home made gate, the lower I position it the worse (washed out) the wave gets. At rest the top of the gate is at or slightly above water level on mine. Under way the wedge sinks the rear and the gate deeper so it can donits job. The farther forward it is position is supposed to lengthen the wave, but it also creates some pretty bad turbulance and washes out the wave face at the back of the transom. The gate is more of less positioned aligned with the rear ski pole for me and works great. YRMV

With all of my ballast full in the rear my gate is probably 4 to 6" below the water due to the shape of the hull.  It hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference as our wave is really good on both sides.  I try to put my gate as close to the back as possible but once again have to avoid the shape of the hull that is rounded at that corner.  I will try to submit a picture here in a bit...