Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric over hydraulic brake system

Slalomjunky

Anybody ever use/install a electric over hydraulic brake actuator on their boat trailer? I have disc brakes with ufp actuator. The brakes are very sensitive and get very hot and smoke on sustained down hill grades when tow rig geared down due to brake drag from forward pressure on actuator even though I’m not on the brakes. Looking to install electric over hydraulic to solve problem. Anybody have any experience with this type of system?

Yes best upgrade I have made to the trailer.  I only had front brakes but added a set to the rear axle when I did the conversion.  We live in CO so mountain traveling in my opinion requires this set up for peace of mind. 

Realistically I never even need to use my truck brakes my trailer stops it very well.

I had to make a custom mount that my pops and I did together.  Basically to get it up around the top of my spare so I xan launch deep where needed and never get the electric pump wet. It is exposed to the elements.  Was pretty pricey but well worth it.  My research showed never electric drums on a boat so other than surge it is the only option.  I have a 03 25lsv and it is a big b****.

I recently got a 21 vride  too and was thinking about the conversion already.

Nholladay,

thanks for the reply. I hear you you about the mountain traveling, same thing here in Utah! What brand did you go with and what pressure rating? My reasearch would say the 12000psi pump for light duty disc breaks.  Thanks Kerry

11 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

Sounds interesting

Any links to what you used?  Define pricey??

wow,, they have come down in price big time.. but still not cheap 650.00.. I remember when I looked into this as an option from dealer on trailer and it was like 5000 extra about 2 years ago:

https://www.easternmarine.com/brakerite-electric-hydraulic-disc-brake-actuator-4813100

Would like to see which one @NHolladay used..

1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

wow,, they have come down in price big time.. but still not cheap 650.00.. I remember when I looked into this as an option from dealer on trailer and it was like 5000 extra about 2 years ago:

https://www.easternmarine.com/brakerite-electric-hydraulic-disc-brake-actuator-4813100

Would like to see which one @NHolladay used..

I wonder how you work that into our surge brake systems. The price looks doable, not for 5k tho..yikes!

Nholladay,

i see that you chose the dexter brand and went with the 1000 psi model. I have been looking at the hydra star brand in either the 1200 or 1600 psi model according to their data because I am running disc brakes. As I understand the 1000 psi model is for drum brakes and that disc brakes require the minimum of 1200psi to function properly. Do you feel your system is supplying enough breaking power? I only have one axle braked because my boat is only 2700lbs dry plus trailer. Any further info would be great. Thanks Kerry

10 hours ago, Slalomjunky said:

Nholladay,

i see that you chose the dexter brand and went with the 1000 psi model. I have been looking at the hydra star brand in either the 1200 or 1600 psi model according to their data because I am running disc brakes. As I understand the 1000 psi model is for drum brakes and that disc brakes require the minimum of 1200psi to function properly. Do you feel your system is supplying enough breaking power? I only have one axle braked because my boat is only 2700lbs dry plus trailer. Any further info would be great. Thanks Kerry

I searched quickly for that one mine is 1600 psi.  Basically the same model for disc brakes

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator/Dexter-Axle/K71-651.html

Here is the correct link I googled it and did not read the whole description.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:37 PM, Slalomjunky said:

Anybody ever use/install a electric over hydraulic brake actuator on their boat trailer? I have disc brakes with ufp actuator. The brakes are very sensitive and get very hot and smoke on sustained down hill grades when tow rig geared down due to brake drag from forward pressure on actuator even though I’m not on the brakes. Looking to install electric over hydraulic to solve problem. Anybody have any experience with this type of system?

Kerry - I spoke to the folks at Boatmate about doing this a year or so back while towing with a yukon denali.  I ended up going back to a diesel and leaving them alone, but you may want to read this.  They were going to do the conversion for me and mentioned replacing the swing away tongue with a stronger and beefier one.  They said without the surge piece, it was a lot of direct force on it and should be more stout.  I would look into that before I just made the conversion alone.  I'm no expert in it, but I absolutely trust the guys down there.   My boat obviously has some more weight to it, but that was their plan.

Edited by JeffK
5 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Kerry - I spoke to the folks at Boatmate about doing this a year or so back while towing with a yukon denali.  I ended up going back to a diesel and leaving them alone, but you may want to read this.  They were going to do the conversion for me and mentioned replacing the swing away tongue with a stronger and beefier one.  They said without the surge piece, it was a lot of direct force on it and should be more stout.  I would look into that before I just made the conversion alone.  I'm no expert in it, but I absolutely trust the guys down there.   My boat obviously has some more weight to it, but that was their plan.

Good point mine is not a swing away tounge and I just replaced the surge receiver with a solid one .  If you have a swing I think it is a valid question.  This was not a challenge I faced.