Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice needed for slalom ski

Michigan boarder

13 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@Woodski has the most accurate advice, demo, demo, demo.....

Plus, you need to look at budget too, a few skis listed above are around the $1500 blank, no bindings.....

I am fairly new to skiing, about 6 years in now and I took the advise of demoing skis until I found one I liked, also have to remember though, they do not make a ski that will correct your body position......find one that feels good and work on form from there.

Demo is a nice idea, but not really practical for most people unless you live near a place that actually has demos or are OK with sending skis back and forth UPS for weeks.

But then I'm of the opinion that for your recreational buoy chaser that the ski doesn't make that much difference.  I can hop on my Senate 67", Vapor 67" or my father in-laws S2 65" and get pretty much the same results on all of them 32 @15 off

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Action water sports in hudsonville. 

Still, 45 minutes away.  1.5 hours round trip, not including time inside the shop talking about the gear, so probably 2 hours total.  I don't have the time right now, it's either work at work or work on the house.  Electrical & mechanical rough in's are next Monday!  Then plumbing, then paint the siding, etc. etc.

If life was normal, you are right, that would be a good option.  Maybe this year I hold off and just try out some of the stuff these guys have.

@Michigan boarder:  Don't discount the value of hitting your closest shop, not only that but Action Water Sports has become one of if not the most customer friendly, helpful and best shop in the area, the ownership is fantastic.  I believe they may be having an open house / party coming up, people come to the Fenton one from Ohio that is happening the August 10 weekend.

On another note, to your goals and expectations, I suggest you don't go the Goode route, awesome ski, super high performance window, but high maintenance.  Kind of like the best looking girl in school that knows it...

• Like 3

A two foot in start can take a lot of energy but you are likely doing something wrong. Get it right and its so simple and even easier. I would not hesitate looking at A leftover ski ( last years model to save some cash. As said if you can demo some skies its A big big plus!  People who have poor  form can have poor performance on some of the mid to upper end skis. Some can be very unforgiving.  Dammer I just had a look at Wileys site some nice buys! I should not have done that. A Quest 45 50% off  that is a good site and some very good people to  work with.  I love the wileys Hi wrap bindings.   https://www.wileyski.com/ 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Michigan boarder:  Don't discount the value of hitting your closest shop, not only that but Action Water Sports has become one of if not the most customer friendly, helpful and best shop in the area, the ownership is fantastic.  I believe they may be having an open house / party coming up, people come to the Fenton one from Ohio that is happening the August 10 weekend.

On another note, to your goals and expectations, I suggest you don't go the Goode route, awesome ski, super high performance window, but high maintenance.  Kind of like the best looking girl in school that knows it...

I totally get it on the shop, just a matter of time right now.  I'm up at 0630, home from work at 1800, work on the house until 2300, go to bed (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri).  Thursday night is a beach volleyball league with the wife and friends.  Saturday is up at 0430 to work, home at 0900, then work on house till 2000.  Sunday is sleep in, half a day work on house, then hang out with the family.  So a trip to Action Water is completely out, I'm fortunate to even get some ski sets in.  I am missing a ski show tonight that I should be in, but can't.

"Goode" to know on the Goode.

27 minutes ago, Sixball said:

A two foot in start can take a lot of energy but you are likely doing something wrong. Get it right and its so simple and even easier. I would not hesitate looking at A leftover ski ( last years model to save some cash. As said if you can demo some skies its A big big plus!  People who have poor  form can have poor performance on some of the mid to upper end skis. Some can be very unforgiving.  Dammer I just had a look at Wileys site some nice buys! I should not have done that. A Quest 45 50% off  that is a good site and some very good people to  work with.  I love the wileys Hi wrap bindings.   https://www.wileyski.com/ 

I'm sure there is a LOT I'm doing wrong.  But it started to feel right at the end, just got tired.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  Never thought I'd say it, but "barefooting is easier".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Still, 45 minutes away.  1.5 hours round trip, not including time inside the shop talking about the gear, so probably 2 hours total.  I don't have the time right now, it's either work at work or work on the house.  Electrical & mechanical rough in's are next Monday!  Then plumbing, then paint the siding, etc. etc.

If life was normal, you are right, that would be a good option.  Maybe this year I hold off and just try out some of the stuff these guys have.

@Michigan boarder are you still in your old place that was for sale?  I thought you moved out of there, but if you are still close to...say Paw Paw... on a weekend (sometimes Monday)  let me know and you can swing by.  I have a 69" senate with a double boot.  A little bigger than you need, but you would probably get a feel for the ski.   I have a hot tub you can soak in when you are done :lol:

One other suggestion.   Don't let your first try on ski determine if you like it or not.  Try it a few times.  The first time on my Senate I had a hard time getting it to move the way I wanted.  I realized that I really needed to commit to where I wanted to go to get it to move.  Of course once it did it moved fast.  I really like the way if felt after that, and now.

3 hours ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

@Michigan boarder are you still in your old place that was for sale?  I thought you moved out of there, but if you are still close to...say Paw Paw... on a weekend (sometimes Monday)  let me know and you can swing by.  I have a 69" senate with a double boot.  A little bigger than you need, but you would probably get a feel for the ski.   I have a hot tub you can soak in when you are done :lol:

One other suggestion.   Don't let your first try on ski determine if you like it or not.  Try it a few times.  The first time on my Senate I had a hard time getting it to move the way I wanted.  I realized that I really needed to commit to where I wanted to go to get it to move.  Of course once it did it moved fast.  I really like the way if felt after that, and now.

Oh Master Ski son,..... some Very good words! I have only skied one ski that I just could never ski well. some skis required a short time to adjust to others you just love out of the box. I have found this to be true for snow skis as well. some are just made for you! 

22 hours ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

Nope, we sold it in 2016 and are currently remodeling a place on Bear Lake in Muskegon county.  Can I bring a growler in the hot tub?  Will it make me wet?  Will it make me sweat?  I'm 2 hours away from you but it might as well be 20 hours, my sister lives in Paw Paw and I never get down there.  Next year, after this project is complete...

I'm totally open to trying equipment.  I guess that's what is great about where I'm at, I have no real expectations.  My only goal is to have it feel right behind the boat.

Edited by Michigan boarder
spelling
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, ID AX said:

I demoed a 67 Radar senate last year and I’ve never had a bigger smile.  It made 32mph feel like 20 something and I felt in control from the second I said go.  

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way.

Yesterday was a blow out, too much chop.  Personally, I'd have still gone and just stayed close to the shoreline upwind, but my other 2 guys bailed.  I suggested we start skiing at 6am but I'm solo on that one too.  It was glassssss this morning when I drove by on my way to work, such a waste!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, footndale said:

Have skied on a Connelly Concept and V carbon. Pretty decent for no course guy. :)

Who the heck doesn't want to ski at 6am? Time for new friends. :)

No kidding. 

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

I do 99% of my skiing at 6am (or sunrise). It’s the best time to ski!!

^^ Same.  Unless I'm at the private ski lake, where it's always calm . :biggrin:

Edited by Brodie
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving this thread a little. I'm in the same situation as @Michigan boarder, but heavier. 6', 205-210.  I do have a local shop that sells Radar and HO. But demo, but don't really want to purchase new. 

Since a boat purchase will probably delayed again,(stupid high prices), I got a crazy idea last night to purchase a real slalom ski. I'm thinking a ski at 69" would be better than a 67".  I was on the Connelly Concept last night at 67". I can get up on it with one foot out. Two feet in is still an issue. Darn 150lbs heavier since I used to use 2 feet in all the time. Though I have gotten up the Connelly V carbon with 2 boots. Just can't do it after many barefoot runs. :)

Goals are to just have fun and maybe hit a course once in my lifetime.(53 yr old), so have a some time left.  Probably will demo, but really need to confirm if the 69" is too big or basically just right. Thanks

Me on the Concept last night.

image.thumb.png.2a4efe7549ac8e51da94d64fbe7743a7.png

@footndaleI picked up a Connelly Prophecy Jamie Beauchesne Pro Model with Radar boots in the summer of 2019 for $500 but show skiing and house projects prevented even a test run.  Last summer I injured a bicep in a show ski practice, nursed it along enough to foot but not enough to slalom.  This year, though, I'm feeling good and hope to take it for some runs.

1339920642_ConnellyProphecy67.thumb.jpg.99f4ef0f62bd4bcfd3e8705a962cab59.jpg96815120_Connelly7.thumb.jpg.94b2bc9b9b5d2ecaff372cb9469564be.jpg1985478366_Connelly5.thumb.jpg.bdd8d93ef4d2b5089a1dfe2ed84e1641.jpg1559850807_Connelly6.thumb.jpg.77ed68d5e74834205b6bd77cc0f37215.jpg1794817832_Connelly2.thumb.jpg.14f98f387f628bdfe82f583b881168c5.jpg

@footndaleI rode a concept for way too many years.  It's an easy, predictable ski, but skis like a bus compared to newer stuff (that mold/design is probably 20-years old).  At your weight, you'd be into a 69 (or 68 depending on the ski) for most skis.  I've gotten up into those weights using a 67, but you tend to have to keep running the speed up to get the performance.  I'm back into my 185ish weight and much happier on the 67's now.  Since you're just going recreational, I'd lean towards longer. 

I'm on the HO carbon Omni this year, and loving it (despite only a few rides due to a sprained ankle rehab) but had some time on a Syndicate Omni of my neighbors last year, so was pretty familiar with what I was getting.  It's easy on the starts, fast, and doesn't fatigue you out as bad.  It's also plenty capable in the course into fairly short lines.   For you, I'd be looking at the Omni line up, Senate line-up, or possibly stick with the Carbon V if you're liking the Connelly.  Also, unless you're working out your starts, you'll want to ski off the pylon (preferably with a slalom rope - the stretch will be a little easier on the joints), as the up-pull of the tower is less than ideal for slalom.

Edited by TomH

@footndalemy buddy is 6' 210-220lb and skis well on a 2017 HO CX Superlite, 67"; both free ski & course at 32-34mph. The Omni line replaced this ski and if you can demo HO, I would try the Carbon Omni in both sizes.

5 hours ago, footndale said:

Local shop as the Omni Carbon for $640 w/bindings. Seems like a good deal, except I'm a barefooter and I can barely justify new wetsuits for $400. :)

I'm a skier and would never spend $400 on a wetsuit but haven't spent less than $850 on a blank ski in a long time... :)

• Like 2