Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV 2017 or 2018

malibunut

My wife and I put a down payment on a 2017 23 LSV.  Because the boat was at another location, they brought a 2018 23 LSV to demo.  My wife loved it!  How much different is the 2017 vs. 2018, especially on the left (regular) side?  We have a 2014 23 LSV and have always struggled to get a surf wave to match the 'Goofy' side.  

Its pretty on both sides out the box, 2013 and 2014 and some non redesigned models had this problem like my 14 Axis , surfed @ConnollyCrew 18 snd it was clean , is it the exact same as goofy , no way never will be, but clean and pushy with nose bag, didn’t surf it without bag but he said it was still clean and pushy just not like he likes

oops, wrong boat sorry! don’t know about 17 but Connolly does cause he had one

Edited by granddaddy55

Absolutely no difference in the waves or wakes. Same hull, drive, etc. The '18 moved the batteries to the bow, the '18 has the stomp pads and a few other minor changes. You will not be able to tell the difference in the boats wakes if both are setup correctly. The "Goofy" side will always be a little better because of Prop rotation but you won't be disappointed with either side.

• Like 2

I have the 17 and rode the 18 at a Demo days .    Few bells and whistles the sliding seat and the saddle hard tanks in the rear are the upgrades. plus new Hull, I guess . wave I think is pretty similar  goofy is insane on these boats , so adding some lead on either boat on the regular side will help out

Properly set up both the 17 and 18 will put out a nice wave. 

I do own an 18 and like it because it is a new hull and doesn’t “need” a bow bag. But it depends on your skill level and preferences. I find the 18 also gets away with smaller rear bags due to the larger rear tanks. 

Good luck. 

Agree with the above statements.  IMO the 2018 is the first boat in the 23 line up that will surf great without bow weight.  It does help if you add it - but you most certainly don't have to. 

I am confused here.  Doesn’t the 18 have a new hull?  I thought consensus was as @Murphy8166 stated and the 18 didn’t really have to have bow weight added.  I am sure both boats make a great wave, but find it odd a dealer would substitute the two different years as equals on a demo.

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Absolutely no difference in the waves or wakes. Same hull, drive, etc. The '18 moved the batteries to the bow, the '18 has the stomp pads and a few other minor changes. You will not be able to tell the difference in the boats wakes if both are setup correctly. The "Goofy" side will always be a little better because of Prop rotation but you won't be disappointed with either side.

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I am confused here.  Doesn’t the 18 have a new hull?  I thought consensus was as @Murphy8166 stated and the 18 didn’t really have to have bow weight added.  I am sure both boats make a great wave, but find it odd a dealer would substitute the two different years as equals on a demo.

Neither the '17 or the '18 HAS to have weight in the bow. That all depends on how much weight you run in the rear and your wedge setting. My '16 & '17 had the biggest bags I could put in the lockers and would need weight in the front to lower the bow plus as a result it would help lengthen the wave too. My'18 has 550 bags along with the new ballast tanks in the lockers. It also has the batteries moved to the bow so it has more factory bow weight than the last two boats did in the bow. I still run a 3/4 full Sumo 650 bag in the walkway if we have a small crew on the '18. Does it "need" it. No it doesn't. We surfed yesterday without it. You just get a little more bow rise without it. It's your choice, run it or not. If you setup the boat to run without the bow weight, it will still make a very surf able wave.

They are different in the way they are molded with the'18 going to the new base and top cap but as far as the chines and under side of the hull, I've not heard that was tweaked but it certainly could have been. 

We own a 2017 23 lsv and we feel the wave is very good with about 600-700 lbs in the walkway. We also put 500 lbs in the bow, but felt like that was overkill. We  are very happy with our wave with weight in the walkway and the rear PNPs full.  Goofy seems be be larger, but the regular side is long with good push. The bow weight helps with the power. If there is too much weight in the rear, then the prop is not pushing straight forward and doesn't engage as well.

I’ve had a ‘16 and now the ‘18. The size difference in the two boats is pretty obvious. That extra 800lbs and the redistribution of weight makes a difference. I think they are noticeably different and would NOT say they are the same. 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, Ronnie said:

The 2018 is a completely different hull. Interior construction is also different. I own a 17 and love it but your demo on a 18 won’t tell you much about a 17.