Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Running wire in Illusion X Tower.

04cobraboy

So I got a new pair of rev 10s and swivel mounts for the rear bar associated with where you would attach the tow rope to. So I got the speaker on the port side wired up and ran the wire through from the hole I drilled on the tow rope bar into the main support of the tower with barely any issues. I’ve read several places that these are closed off and welded and other places it’s open but difficult. I am attempting to run the starboard side and it’s giving me so much trouble. I can’t get anything to run into the main support from the tow rope bar. I’ve tried, the wire itself, weed eater string, fishing line, and welding wire. Honestly about to get my hands on a boroscope, because there is no way that thing is only blocked on one side. It’s driving me crazy and spent about two hours trying to push something through but can’t and the other side was so much simpler. I was thinking maybe the way it was casted had some rough internal surfaces, but if you look through any of the holes on the tower it’s relatively smooth everywhere I could see. Any indies or someone can share some past experiences on this with me? I swear I’m gonna get the boroscope. If its blocked I’m screwed, because from what I’ve also read is that the tow rope ball are is not possible to pass through. Thanks in advanced everyone. 

I've used this trick before:

1. get some thin/lightweight but strong string. Kite string or dental floss works well
2. unspool at least as much string as you'll need to reduce resistence
3. get a shop-vac or other powerful vacuum
4. use the vacuum to suck air from where you want the wire to end up
5. feed the lightweight string from the opposite side
6. once you've managed to pull the string through, attach something more durable (feed wire, fish tape, etc.) to the string and gently pull it through
7. once the strong lead is through, pull your speaker wire through the tower

It's a multi-step process, but it's worked for me on multiple towers. If needed, waterless hand cleaner works as a good lubricant for pulling cable and it dries clean/clear with little to no residue.

If you've got an anchor light on top of the tower then you know that wire can get at least halfway through.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, mikeo said:

I've used this trick before:

1. get some thin/lightweight but strong string. Kite string or dental floss works well
2. unspool at least as much string as you'll need to reduce resistence
3. get a shop-vac or other powerful vacuum
4. use the vacuum to suck air from where you want the wire to end up
5. feed the lightweight string from the opposite side
6. once you've managed to pull the string through, attach something more durable (feed wire, fish tape, etc.) to the string and gently pull it through
7. once the strong lead is through, pull your speaker wire through the tower

It's a multi-step process, but it's worked for me on multiple towers. If needed, waterless hand cleaner works as a good lubricant for pulling cable and it dries clean/clear with little to no residue.

If you've got an anchor light on top of the tower then you know that wire can get at least halfway through.

Good Luck!

Ya I read about doing that but I feel like if I can’t pushing a welding wire through there then I’m screwed lol. This cross bar is the rear support, not the one with the anchor light, the one with the tow rope ball/hitch whatever you wanna call it. I’ve played with the anchor light before and even it was a PITA. Keep the thoughts coming! Thank you!  

Have you tried going down the other side back to the boat?  Instead of running both wires up the port or starboard side, run one up on side one up the other?

13 minutes ago, obaro15 said:

Have you tried going down the other side back to the boat?  Instead of running both wires up the port or starboard side, run one up on side one up the other?

Well like I stated supposedly you can’t get past the tow rope ball. I will try this evening after work. I would if I can get past that ball. I was just going to tie into wire that was already ran inside the main starboard support. I wanna get in there with a boroscope so bad haha. 

• 3 years later...