Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing rear ballast fill pump

Kalan

I have a 2006 VLX and I think the right rear fill ballast is toast. How hard is it to fix it, and could I do it myself? Could I do it in a couple hours, or is it something that a dealer needs to do? 

It should have the aerator style pump. If so it is as simple as removing a screw, twisting off the closing ring and pulling out the cartridge. After that cut the old wires were Malibu crimped the old pump wires on to their wiring harness. Connect and crimp on 2 waterproof butt connectors to the new wires and heat seal the splices. Reinstall the pump and go boating. #2 Phillips head screwdriver, butt crimpers, wire cutter and stripper and a heat source.

Not sure about the vlx but on my 06' lsv the pumps are under the floor.  You need to take some screws out of the floor starting at the transom to half way up the storage compartment and hold the floor with a bungee or something to access the pump.  With a little contorting added in it is just as wdr says, pretty easy.  When you order the pump just get two, you will need it probably sooner rather than later.  To your initial question, yes it is less than a two hour job, about 10 minutes on the easily accessible ones, a bit more on the hidden ones like that.