Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Axis updates

On 8/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

A running surface change can be so minor that you would never notice. But the change to the wake/wave could be huge. You will never know by looking at pictures.

And I have never once heard anyone from the factory or malibu say that about the A24. Axis has always had an extremely good wake. 

I am not convinced Malibu is actually doing "hull changes" with redesigns especially on the later model Malibu and Axis models.  I looked at a 2017 LSV and 2018 LSV lower hull and I could not see any difference in the lower running surface.  Definitely a change up top adding more freeboard.  If there was a change in the lower wetted surface it is impossible to see with naked eye.  My belief is wave improvemmts are coming from more weight displacement (batteries moved to bow, larger hard tanks, heavier boats) not hull changes.

When Nautique redesigned there G23 hull in 2016 it was obvious changes that were easily noticed when looking at the hull.

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Fman said:

I am not convinced Malibu is actually doing "hull changes" with redesigns especially on the later model Malibu and Axis models.  I looked at a 2017 LSV and 2018 LSV lower hull and I could not see any difference in the lower running surface.  Definitely a change up top adding more freeboard.  If there was a change in the lower wetted surface it is impossible to see with naked eye.  My belief is wave improvemmts are coming from more weight displacement (batteries moved to bow, larger hard tanks, heavier boats) not hull changes.

When Nautique redesigned there G23 hull in 2016 it was obvious changes that were easily noticed when looking at the hull.

You could very well be correct. But would you be able to notice a 1 degree difference in a chine or deadrise? Just because the G23 hull changed a lot doesn't mean that all hull tweaks take that type of change.

Just now, ahopkinsVTX said:

You could very well be correct. But would you be able to notice a 1 degree difference in a chine or deadrise? Just because the G23 hull changed a lot doesn't mean that all hull tweaks take that type of change.

Yeah just my conspiracy theory.... marketing hype sells more boats.

• Like 1

I'm at work and don't have a ton of pics, but you can see a pretty obvious change in the '18 T22 hull vs the '14 in these pics...near the back leading into where the water hits the surfgate.

I should have some pics of my hoist bunk setup with the '14 on it. I will see what I can find and try to duplicate the angle with the '18 to see if we can see any other changes.

background.jpg

DSC_0098.JPG

• Like 1

I had a 2017 T22 and got a 2018 T22 this year. Much better surf wave, but I am not sure if that is driven from the hull changes or from the PW2. The PW2 allows so much more adjustment and tweaking that the 2017 did not, that alone clouds the ability to do a direct comparison IMO. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

surf with no wedge haha

I have forgotten to engage it a couple of times, rides fine, and is super mellow. Just did not do that on the 2017 much to compare to!

We also never surf with the wedge.  We never used our autoset wedge.  We started the season using the power wedge but have slowly moved away from using it.  To me with boat weighted for surfing it just feels like it adds drag but wave does not get any bigger. 

Edited by vanamp

+1 on no wedge.  Once you have an actuator go, you realize quickly that with a few adjustments the wave is just fine, no drag, better rpms and equally as strong wave.  I fixed my wedge now, but have no plans on surfing with it anymore.  

11 hours ago, vanamp said:

We also never surf with the wedge.  We never used our autoset wedge.  We started the season using the power wedge but have slowly moved away from using it.  To me with boat weighted for surfing it just feels like it adds drag but wave does not get any bigger. 

Wow, I'm going to have to try this. What is your surf recipe @vanamp?

First T23 I've seen, just renderings so don't get too excited.. looks like the step down in the rear is now gone and same newer gel pattern as the A/T22. What else has changed or is everyone seeing?

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/2019-axis-t23-6803501/

OK, better pics on this one.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-AXIS-T23-for-sale-Atascadero-California-86387.aspx

Edited by jcon44
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Wow, I'm going to have to try this. What is your surf recipe @vanamp?

We have 1100's in the lockers they are a little restriced by the space but get pretty full.  Bow bag and all tanks full.  We have 300lbs. Of lead. We put 100lbs on the surf side in observer compartment but it usually slides under seat once we get going. We put the other 200lbs. In the walk way as forward as possible. Then we put a bunch of blankets and towels on the lead and place a 15lbs. Infant on top <------ this part is critical.

We usually drain a little off the non-surf side to list a little bit to keep top of the wave clean. 

This boat is a lot more touchy than our last boat.  What I usually look for is the corner of the platform on the surf side to just barley touch the water when surfing.  If its too high add rear weight or less bow weight.  If its dragging too much it messes up the wave shape. 

Its usually just my wife and I +2 little ones in the boat.  Hoping to get a big crew out at some point to see what kind of wave we can get. 

• Like 2

that is a lot of detail for the weighting! Whats the wave look like? What do you usually run for RPMs? 

We run wedge at 2 with 900s in rear, belly full, bow bag full, 250 of lead hidden around battery. Wave is awesome with this setup, RPMs are just under 4K. 

1 hour ago, mnwakerider said:

that is a lot of detail for the weighting! Whats the wave look like? What do you usually run for RPMs? 

We run wedge at 2 with 900s in rear, belly full, bow bag full, 250 of lead hidden around battery. Wave is awesome with this setup, RPMs are just under 4K. 

With our new 2247 prop we are at 3600 RPMs.  Here is the wave but its always hard to judge a wave from pics/vids.  

We were still experimenting with wedge on video below. I think we settled on wedge 3 with similar weight as above. 

Both waves are more than surfable but we like no wedge better and the bonus at the gas pump is nice too. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Raimie said:

I can say for certain that if I have new riders or riders under 200lbs, I will absolutely be putting the wedge up when they are riding.

I started doing this with newbs this year, more for fuel conservation than anything.  Maybe we got lucky with more athletic riders or something, but I've found that newbs have actually done a lot better without the wedge (less "yoyo" effect) and are able to go ropeless pretty quickly.

But my setup has basically been just pulling the wedge with whatever rear weight I was running for me plus wedge.  So I'm curious to try a little more weight but no wedge and see where that gets us.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Raimie said:

Surf session tonight was interesting to say the least. I was intrigued by @vanamp 's videos above so figured I'd give the wedge up a try. Results... ended up surfing for 2.5 hours on port and starboard side with the wedge up. It was wonderful not to be running 4k rpms as I know I was more fuel efficient and the engine noise was a lot less. I slowed the speed down a bit, I had previously been running around 11. Bottom line, the wave was great, plenty of push and I honestly couldn't tell that much difference behind the boat. I'm not saying I will never use the wedge, I will probably play with it a bit more. I can say for certain that if I have new riders or riders under 200lbs, I will absolutely be putting the wedge up when they are riding.

IMG_20180830_185525588_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185609688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185845930.jpg

IMG_20180830_185850185_HDR.jpg

for new people and smaller people  it makes a big difference. after several times of trying my wife went ropeless as soon as I  raised the wedge, my nephews friend too.. ( plus it helps with bow rise) I haven't tried slowing the speed down but will give it a shot tomorrow and see if I like it better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 8:57 PM, Raimie said:

Surf session tonight was interesting to say the least. I was intrigued by @vanamp 's videos above so figured I'd give the wedge up a try. Results... ended up surfing for 2.5 hours on port and starboard side with the wedge up. It was wonderful not to be running 4k rpms as I know I was more fuel efficient and the engine noise was a lot less. I slowed the speed down a bit, I had previously been running around 11. Bottom line, the wave was great, plenty of push and I honestly couldn't tell that much difference behind the boat. I'm not saying I will never use the wedge, I will probably play with it a bit more. I can say for certain that if I have new riders or riders under 200lbs, I will absolutely be putting the wedge up when they are riding.

IMG_20180830_185525588_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185609688_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180830_185845930.jpg

IMG_20180830_185850185_HDR.jpg

What was your ballast setup during these pics?

6 minutes ago, Leatherneck33 said:

What was your ballast setup during these pics?

750's in the rear, standard underseat bow bag.

~200lbs of lead in observers compartment

Driver & spotter in boat

• 4 weeks later...