Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pylon

RICKZ

Hey Guys.  New to the forum.  Bought my first Malibu...a 2018 20 VTX.  I have a barefoot international boom that I used on my 1998 Mastercraft that I would like to use on the new boat.  The retractable pylon I have been told should not be used with the boom.  They say it could come out.  Someone told me someone makes a longer one to bolt in solid to replace the retractable one.  I thought he said someone in Indiana or Ohio machines them.  Does anyone know of a source for such a thing.  Thanks much.

Edited by RICKZ
clarification

Hey Guys.  New to the forum.  Bought my first Malibu...a 2018 20 VTX.  I have a barefoot international boom that I used on my 1998 Mastercraft that I would like to use on the new boat.  I have been told the retractable pylon should not be used with the boom.  They say it could come out. I heard someone makes a longer one to bolt in solid to replace the retractable one.  I thought he said someone in Indiana or Ohio machines them.  Does anyone know of a source for such a thing.  Thanks much.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had seen this boom.  Very highly regarded....just a bit expensive and was hoping to use the boom I already had.  But thanks for the heads up.  Greatly appreciated.

It seems like you would want the boom as far forward on the boat as possible to get the skier ahead of the side spray if the boat.  A tower mount boom would allow that, and would probably have better height adjustment. 

If you're attaching to the pylon, you'll need the BI Quad-V boom to get far enough forward on the boat to avoid the spray, especially on the '18 VTX which makes a LOT of side spray.  In fact a tower mount boom might be the only way to go on that boat now that I think about it.  Videos I've seen of that hull running at speed show a lot of spray.

Thanks guys for the input.  I figured the spray would not allow anything at full speed, but I have 4 grandchildren now and I was thinking at the beginner speed the spray might not be as bad.  I bought the extension for the boom when I got it so it extends a bit further out.  The only barefooting I did on the boom mounted on my Mastercraft was from the Superman position...never got up to the rope...but at age 63 my wife is hoping I do not get another boom for myself.  Still doing slalom and have gotten into the wakesurfing.  Just want to get the kids out of the dang tube just sitting there and get them skiing or wakeboarding.  Thanks again.

• Like 3

Rick, I think it was no-wake marine in Ohio that makes them.  

Do you have the removable center pylon?  I've "heard" you shouldn't use it either, but it would be a possibility...perhaps put some weight on top of the pylon?

If your old boat was a DD then the boom will not work also.....need a different mounting piece (the "S" shaped piece)........did I mention I have one for sale!

3 hours ago, RICKZ said:

at age 63...Still doing slalom and have gotten into the wakesurfing.  Just want to get the kids out of the dang tube just sitting there and get them skiing or wakeboarding.  

best post of the day.  Welcome @RICKZ

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Rick, I think it was no-wake marine in Ohio that makes them.  

Do you have the removable center pylon?  I've "heard" you shouldn't use it either, but it would be a possibility...perhaps put some weight on top of the pylon?

That'd be a bit scary if that let go.

I think the fixed pylon in the rear is your best bet.  Then you'll need one of these.

https://www.miamiskinautiques.com/Deluxe-Quad-Contour-Boom-p/barefoot_Deluxe-Quad-Contour-B.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw7vraBRBbEiwA4WBOnwIBjHdFRl1demVaqI7zRImfPX72G-YfV_wkOhyP7pVq1BGwqP8P6RoCwp8QAvD_BwE

And probably two of these.

https://www.miamiskinautiques.com/Boom-Extension-p/barefoot_boomextension.htm

59 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

no doubt.  I'm not recommending...

Thanks everyone.  They are closed right now but that sounds like the place I heard of.  I am in Wisconsin and I remember it was someone a bit east of us.  UWSkier...yes, I actually have the boom you suggested and one extension already.  Perhaps I will get another extension and the pylon.  I had considered the tower boom but I am not sure whether I would be able to keep the racks that hold the wakeboards or whether it would get in the way of the tower boom.  I'll let you guys know if Ohio does have the pylon.  Thanks again!

Now that I think about this a bit more... are we sure it's the retractable pylon that needs to be replaced for the boom usage (I'm unsure of this)?  Or was it those stubby little mini pylons they used to put on the V-drives in the late 90s (I know for a fact these needed replacing).

BI/Flyhigh is in Milwaukee.  In a part of town you probably want to visit during daylight if you have the chance.  Haven't been in there in years, but Mike had a nice outfit going last time I was there.  By all accounts he still does.

Report back on how that boat does with the chine spray.  We run that same boom on our '01 VLX and unless you're going above 34 MPH or so, the side spray can effect the person hanging on the boom.  That's with no extension.  If using a 5' handle, we'd likely need three extensions to get wide of the spray.  Videos I've seen on the newer VTX show a LOT of spray.  I think it's the newer cut diamond in general that pushes the spray forward and wide.  This is 36 MPH.

SC 2018-07-30 at 6.37.28 PM.png

rick, spray to the side of late model VTX is fine if you run heavier on boom side (not level).  experimentation is key.  I run a 97 ski nautique with incredible side spray, however, you can make it much better by running "unlevel".

Hey guys.....just an update.  Yes,  NoWake Marine in Ohio has a fixed pylon.  The cost is $260.  I guess I need to decide whether to invest the 260 to use my old boom and hope the spray is not prohibitive, or spend the $699 on the tower boom.  I did determine the tower boom will still allow the wakeboard racks to stay on the tower.  Leaning towards doing the tower boom.

Thanks again everyone for the input.  Greatly appreciated.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RICKZ said:

Hey guys.....just an update.  Yes,  NoWake Marine in Ohio has a fixed pylon.  The cost is $260.  I guess I need to decide whether to invest the 260 to use my old boom and hope the spray is not prohibitive, or spend the $699 on the tower boom.  I did determine the tower boom will still allow the wakeboard racks to stay on the tower.  Leaning towards doing the tower boom.

Thanks again everyone for the input.  Greatly appreciated.

Any pics or details on the tower boom I have a 20VTX also....

33 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

Any pics or details on the tower boom I have a 20VTX also....

Do you guys have G3.5 or G4 towers?  If G3.5, you're probably in luck as BI made a G3 tower boom.  IDK if there's such an animal as a G4 boom.

An even better option if it would work would be @SmoothWaterMan @PebincDesigns sidewinder tower boom for the G3 as it moves you forward considerably to get away from the chine spray.  Plus Peter is awesome.  If you're on Facebook, find him at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=qIzXarf-ftk

• Like 2

Yes....I have the G3.5 tower.  UWSkier...I did check out Peter's boom.  Great engineering.  I f I recall, it was about $2600.  Sure looks sturdy though.  AussieSkier......just look up Barefoot International on you tube.  Some good videos there on how to set up the tower boom on the G3.5 tower. 

Thanks guys