Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 LSV - What replaces tower Sony Xplod's?

malibular8

2004 23 LSV with the Illusion tower, 4 chrome speaker cans. The original speakers were Sony Xplod's, since discontinued. I tried to replace them with Kicker 6.5's and there were too big (speaker grill holes didn't match up). The Xlod speaker grill from left to right on top is 3 15/16', and same from top to bottom grill holes.

Anyone know which marine speakers would fit that size for the cans?

Thanks!

Kicker says they're 6.5, but really more like 6 3/4. I made do with the other areas on the boat, but they wouldn't fit the cans even if I drilled.

The outside of speaker is not the "size" of the speaker, though some try to make it so. Its a 6.5" speaker, even though the OD is larger. The OD of a Kicker, and most all other 6.5", is right at 7", but thats not really the important dimensions. The first number you need to look at, is the ID of the pod's mounting flange, other wise called the cut-out. IIRC, this original speakers were a 6". This means their cut out requirement is likely less the then the typical 5" of most any 6.5". Next issue, almost no one makes a 6" marine speaker. So if the pod's opening is less then 5", you will be hard pressed to find anything other then a car door speaker, that will fit. 

So before sourcing replacement drivers, id evaluate your tower speaker goal, making sure that a small coaxial is right for your needs. 

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the best approach might be to change out those cans and go with some HLCD's.

Any recommendations on some that would go well with the Illusion X tower?

Also, is it common to have a separate amp for those and to have a separate volume control?

rev10s + amp of choice (wetsounds SD4/Arc Audio 600.2/JL audio HD750/1 etc).  

Yes, it's common to separately control volume, typically with an EQ (WS420SQ / Exile ZLD / AudioControl three.1 / etc).  There are other ways to do it too.  JL amps have the capability for a remote volume control, for instance, but the EQ method is most common.

2 minutes ago, malibular8 said:

Also, is it common to have a separate amp for those and to have a separate volume control?

Yes, absolutely.  Your first question should be: where do I want the music?  Wake board range, surf range, or just in the cabin?  Also, how much do you want to spend?  Then determine what kind/size speaker and what kind of power to put behind it.  The best system for one condition will not be the best for another condition.  In fact, it might be downright awful.  More $ does not buy a better listening experience unless you have a good plan.

17 minutes ago, malibular8 said:

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the best approach might be to change out those cans and go with some HLCD's.

If wake range is your primary goal, then yes, a pair or two of HLCD are the way to go. I think we are 99% certain that those pods have a sub 5" opening, this this rules out the couple of raw-driver (no pods) 6.5" HOCD options out there. However, its worth it to just check. Take 60 seconds to pull one speaker and measure the opening diameter. 

20 minutes ago, malibular8 said:

You absolutely want the tower speakers on separate amp chnls from the in-boats. Completely separate amp? Depends on the tower speaker choice and quantity, and the in-boat setup. Choose the speakers first, then amp options fall in line fairly simple. 

22 minutes ago, malibular8 said:

Any recommendations on some that would go well with the Illusion X tower?

There are number of HLCD options that do offer a direct mount for the illusion x tower. I would still narrow down my goals. Pure wake range, an 8" HLCD with solid power will do well. However, to step up to a 10" HLCD is not that much more of an investment and you not only get the wake range projection, but even better close in sound quality from the larger speaker. The larger options is often a less expensive investment compared to 2 pair of smaller HLCD or coaxial, its certainly WAY less expensive then a 6-pod mix of smaller coaxial and HLCD mix, which some do in an attempt to yield better new field sound quality by trying to offset the aggressive horn and smaller mid-bass driver.

Good recommendations, thanks. Having just recently considered this, my goals are the following.

We typically listen when tied up in a bay, but can't hear when floating behind boat well (tower speakers bad). For surfing, want that range but not blow away everyone in the boat. Looking to spend $1000 or so at most. Is that realistic?

I'll measure the pod opening in order to eliminate that option.

48 minutes ago, malibular8 said:

We typically listen when tied up in a bay, but can't hear when floating behind boat well (tower speakers bad). For surfing, want that range but not blow away everyone in the boat. Looking to spend $1000 or so at most.

Unless you're floating 20+ yards from the boat, you don't need/want HLCD speakers.  A good set (2 or 4) of 8" coaxials will do well and sound better.  They will do well at surfing or floating distance and be less $.

I've got a setup that works great for surfing and floating but it doesn't seem to be catching on with anyone else.  I built a new one with 8" speakers.  I'll sell the original with 6.5" pods (sans speakers).

On 7/27/2018 at 11:53 AM, malibular8 said:

Good recommendations, thanks. Having just recently considered this, my goals are the following.

We typically listen when tied up in a bay, but can't hear when floating behind boat well (tower speakers bad). For surfing, want that range but not blow away everyone in the boat. Looking to spend $1000 or so at most. Is that realistic?

I'll measure the pod opening in order to eliminate that option.

I have 4 of the same pods on illusion X.  I put the Kicker KMS67 HLCD in them Powered by a Kicker KMX 400x4 bridged into 2 channels. Controlled by a Wetsounds WS220 BT.  I had to grind the inside of the speaker can lips to get them to fit it was kinda a pain but I got them to fit.  Overall I’m dissapointed in the Wake range but it would work well for a surf setup.  I was in your shoes, trying to stay under $1K and I did.  IF had to do it over again I’d got with  a larger 10” HLCD setup and a larger amp. Spend the extra now and Do it right the first time.

Thanks. This thread has moved me in that direction - pair of Wetsounds Rev 10 w/X mount kit. Guessing I'll need a new amp. At the end of this season I'll take down the cans and see if anyone wants them. Replace in Spring - that way I can accumulate my Amazon gift cards. :)

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem with those cans.

... as suggested, Rev10s + amp is the only way to go.  Its expensive but so crazy good. 

Any of these higher end speakers will require a higher end amp.  Make sure youre ready to spend $2k on speakers before jumping into this.  I tried to use an existing amp (60w/channel) with a craigslist steal on wetsounds speakers and was definitely under powering them.  Ended up costing me another $500 off craigslist just to find an amp to power them. 

15 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Any of these higher end speakers will require a higher end amp.  Make sure youre ready to spend $2k on speakers before jumping into this.  I tried to use an existing amp (60w/channel) with a craigslist steal on wetsounds speakers and was definitely under powering them.  Ended up costing me another $500 off craigslist just to find an amp to power them. 

This is what I'd do:

https://creativeaudio.net/rev10b-sc-kb/

https://creativeaudio.net/hd750-1-k/

4 hours ago, malibular8 said:

Guessing I'll need a new amp

If you want to get the most out of them, a quality amp with ample wattage will help you do that. In reality, your current could power them for now. 

Before dropping $1,000 on a refurb with only a 90 day warranty, Id talk with a local dealer/installer or one of the authorized online dealers (that also has hands on experience) for a package deal on new ones and amp, that will come with a 2 year warranty and dealer and factory support. $1,000 is only about 25% off retail. You can come away with info for proper setup and tuning.