Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Sunscape Hull design = 2006 Wakesetter Hull design?

maxer

I am looking at a 2006 Sunscape. The hull looks identical to the wakestter.  The boat has all the options a wakesetter including ballast and perfect pass but does not have the wedge . It does have the plate where i can install a wedge.  

My question is:  Is there a big difference in the surf wave between this boat and a wakesetter?

Thanks in advance.

VLX vs LSV?  That depends on whether the LSV (I assume) has a Diamond hull.  If it doesn't then the hulls are identical.  If it does have the Diamond they'll surf the same but the LSV will have a better ski wake.

I've got the diamond hull in the LSV and, looking back, am glad I got it instead of the VLX because of the better ski wake and that it does not have built in ballast tanks that really just get in the way when you want to put (bigger) bags in.  The "piggyback" systems are a PITA.  Plus the center ski locker makes a good place to put a 600 lb. bag.

The wedge you'll have to buy.  About $600 from the dealer.

The Sunscape is on the "diamond hull."  A 2006 Wakesetter could be ordered with the diamond hull, but most were built on the "wake hull."

The hulls are identical except for the downward turned chines on the diamond hull (seen looking at stern of boat) [vs the flattened chines on the wake hull], which produce more "lift" at  the stern when at slalom speeds.

At surfing speeds, there is just not enough lift produced to make the diamond hull significantly different than the wake hull.  Chines aside, those hills have the exact same shape and weight.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

VLX vs LSV?  That depends on whether the LSV (I assume) has a Diamond hull.  If it doesn't then the hulls are identical.  If it does have the Diamond they'll surf the same but the LSV will have a better ski wake.

I've got the diamond hull in the LSV and, looking back, am glad I got it instead of the VLX because of the better ski wake and that it does not have built in ballast tanks that really just get in the way when you want to put (bigger) bags in.  The "piggyback" systems are a PITA.  Plus the center ski locker makes a good place to put a 600 lb. bag.

The wedge you'll have to buy.  About $600 from the dealer.

It is a 23 LSV.  The owner of the boat had the dealer install the hard ballast before he bought it.  I just want a good surf boat and was worried when i heard about the diamond hull.  I have a 2007 Supreme 21 footer and I am looking to upgrade to something with a bigger wace and more seating capacity.

11 minutes ago, maxer said:

It is a 23 LSV.  The owner of the boat had the dealer install the hard ballast before he bought it.  I just want a good surf boat and was worried when i heard about the diamond hull.  I have a 2007 Supreme 21 footer and I am looking to upgrade to something with a bigger wace and more seating capacity.

With a 2005 23 footer you are going to need more weight than the hard tanks will hold, so if surfing is the objective don't worry about Diamond vs Wake (matters only at ski speeds), worry about water bags and props.  That boat was built/ballasted for wake boarding.  You need more weight for surfing.  Length is another factor that does not mean as much. In fact, the extra buoyancy of the 23 may work against you.  Somebody will surely chime in with their opinion about 21.5 vs 23.  You can always put a couple more people in the 23 - and that's weight!

13 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

With a 2005 23 footer you are going to need more weight than the hard tanks will hold, so if surfing is the objective don't worry about Diamond vs Wake (matters only at ski speeds), worry about water bags and props.  That boat was built/ballasted for wake boarding.  You need more weight for surfing.  Length is another factor that does not mean as much. In fact, the extra buoyancy of the 23 may work against you.  Somebody will surely chime in with their opinion about 21.5 vs 23.  You can always put a couple more people in the 23 - and that's weight!

I was told that with the stock ballast filled and a 900 lb fat sack  in each back corner it would be awesome. And of course installing the manual wedge.  I have a suck gate I am going to attach to the side of the boat when we do the test drive.

The boat is super clean.  2006 Sunscape 23 LSV ( only 110  hours )

The seller is asking $42k

I am hoping to get it for $40

Edited by maxer
12 minutes ago, maxer said:

I was told that with the stock ballast filled and a 900 lb fat sack  in each back corner it would be awesome. And of course installing the manual wedge.  I have a suck gate I am going to attach to the side of the boat when we do the test drive.

Well, you said it: 900 lbs. in each corner.  You'll need about a thousand between the middle and up front too. Sounds like a real nice boat.  Make sure you go over maintenance records or at least check the cylinder compression.  Might be worth having a mechanic do a leak down test and get a readout from the ECU to check for stuff including actual hours.

Have fun, and everyone at TMC will be happy to help you spend your money as you upgrade things!

1 hour ago, maxer said:

Was the tanks installed sub floor? if so awesome.. you can piggy back the 900s on top... here is my 23 lsv setup for surfing:

Front 900 (under seats.. and yes I get 900 as it is a custom install)

Mid sub floor 500

coffins (rear seats on side of boat) 300 each side (depends on crew size if I fill these or not)

Rear sub floor 250 piggy back 1100 (please note that the 1100s do not fill full.. never measured the actual gallons pumped in.. but I am thinking between 900 -950

I do run wedge (power wedge) at fully deployed for me.. uo 1 - 2 clicks for others (this would not matter to you)

Speed 11 - 12.6

I have gosurfassist on my boat so I don't need to worry about stinkin suck gate placement ;)

as all stated above.. the diamond hull would be noticed at slalom speeds..

Edited by kerpluxal
1 hour ago, maxer said:

You were told wrong.  That things going to need some bow weight too.  Very much so if it didn't get the bow tank, which I'm not sure was even available on the Sunscapes.  Hull wise, you won't tell a difference surfing.