Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 2419 Wow!

bovhica

I just swapped the Acme 1235 for the 2419 on my 2011 VRide (05-08 VLX hull) and can't believe what a difference it made!  Best mod I've done to the boat!  Boat jumps right up to speed when surfing and we noticed a huge diffence in fuel economy vs the 1235 while surfing.  I dont salom anymore and also dont need to cruise very far or fast so going from 39/40 mph to 36/37 WOT (both at 5000 rpm) was irrelevent to us. The 1235 was a decent all around prop but we surf the majority of the time and I was having trouble getting up to surf speed fully loaded.  I would have to drain ballast while in motion until we reached desired surf speed with a crew of 3 to 5 and the 5.7 motor really struggled (2800 ft ASL.) With the 2419, we were fully loaded (750 up front, 580 midship in front of full fuel tank, 950 both rear lockers,  floating wedge down, homemade suckgate, 6 guys average 200+ lbs and gear.) The boat accelerated to 12mph like it was nothing and the wave was the best I've ridden behind our boat to date! It was longer, bigger and pretty firm.  I was able to get push and recover from 15'+ behind the platform and I'm 280 lbs!  The prop also seemed to drop the bow slightly compared to the 1235, which I think is the reason for the better fuel economy.  I assume the prop energy was being used more efficiently pushing the boat forward rather than up?  I didnt check the difference in rpms at surf speed but we were around 3200 with the 1235 @ 11 mph.  I will check next time I'm out and update. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/iSEqDoo

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 2

How much for the 2419, new or used ?  New surf rpm would be nice but also could you try to wakeboard speed the big load , rpms there?  It’s my main reason to change cause I need to ride a bigger wake.  though I would enjoy being able to surf that many people on top of the full ballast load 

so your usual gas purchase went down ?  Might be able to sell it to wife that way, more details the better, I have the 1235 and if I barge it we have much higher consumption, 1/2  consumption if I List, would like to barge it more for transfers and possibly speed up the level load and see if I can improve that wave.  Listed is improved already. You guys moving the bodies around to list or just chilling and keeping it level?  If went down level and faster that’s impressive !!

this was the prop wakemakers told me about fir my 14 Axis a20 in the beginning ($699 at the time and got the 1235 over the 537 fir $125 on boat order as an upgrade). Also  but recent prop threads have been about so many other props mainly the OJ 945 or 8? And other acme props.   It would be good to hear a lot about this prop. Seems like the OJ loses a bit more top end but get stump pulling on the low end, but not much on fuel improvement 

so is this the prop of choice on a 5.7 on a small boat of the Malibu to Axis line of the 11-14 era?

very few upgrades pay fir themselves , nice if this one could unless you landed a screaming price .  $560 is good it’s not great

Edited by granddaddy55

Acme told me wednesday that the 2419 prop was for boats with the lower ratio tranny, something like the 1.48 or 1.52. I think those were the ratios he told me. I run the 2249 in my a20 with 1.72 tranny and it does very good. I have 750’s in the rear, a 400 under the bow cushions, and 500 pounds of lead on top of stock tanks. I can run it all full with 5-6 people in the boat. 

I have ave exactly your load but 850’s rear (probably same as mine 50x20x20 unless custom) snd I have the older 950 mushroom bow bag under cushions

, I think I’m the 1.49-1, you are newer, didn’t they change the driveline, so as you said, for the older boat , any body else with the lower ratio turning the 2419??  

I’m assuming it will do the job but I want to cost justify the upgrade! Before I spend $550. 

Need to cost justify for wife’s approval .  OP did say he burned less fuel surfing, just trying to hear that from others who have reduced fuel on surfing, surfing non listed and wakeboard full load consumption.  Not just that it got onplane easier for wakeboarding or got to surf higher speed with load.  

I don’t have a crowd so I can’t use that to convince wife.  My wife is on title so she has final say 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 7/28/2018 at 6:45 AM, granddaddy55 said:

How much for the 2419, new or used ?  New surf rpm would be nice but also could you try to wakeboard speed the big load , rpms there?  It’s my main reason to change cause I need to ride a bigger wake.  though I would enjoy being able to surf that many people on top of the full ballast load 

so your usual gas purchase went down ?  Might be able to sell it to wife that way, more details the better, I have the 1235 and if I barge it we have much higher consumption, 1/2  consumption if I List, would like to barge it more for transfers and possibly speed up the level load and see if I can improve that wave.  Listed is improved already. You guys moving the bodies around to list or just chilling and keeping it level?  If went down level and faster that’s impressive !!

this was the prop wakemakers told me about fir my 14 Axis a20 in the beginning ($699 at the time and got the 1235 over the 537 fir $125 on boat order as an upgrade). Also  but recent prop threads have been about so many other props mainly the OJ 945 or 8? And other acme props.   It would be good to hear a lot about this prop. Seems like the OJ loses a bit more top end but get stump pulling on the low end, but not much on fuel improvement 

so is this the prop of choice on a 5.7 on a small boat of the Malibu to Axis line of the 11-14 era?

very few upgrades pay fir themselves , nice if this one could unless you landed a screaming price .  $560 is good it’s not great

I bought new from wakemakers.  Yes paid the $560 and worth every penny from my perspective.  I also didnt have a spare, so the 1235 is noe my spare.  I hope to never need it!  I've only been out twice on the 2419.  Surf rpms did go up about 100 to 200 rpms from the 1235, but fuel economy got better somehow? I have never listed the boat with either prop so I can't speak to that.  I've always used a suckgate.  I've only had the boat since last July and we didn't surf my echelon before we traded up. At 2800 ft ASL, my first run was approximately 4.5 of engine running hours and I would guess 3.5 we were surfing.  I'm sorry I can't be more precise as we were having way too much fun.  I burned 18 gallons that trip. So for the whole day 4 gph.  I would guess probably 5 gph for surfing fully loaded.  With the 1235 I averaged 6 to 7 gallons per hour surfing so let's just say I'm saving about 4 or 5 bucks an hour.  That prop will pay itself off in no time with the way we use it (90% surfing.) We put about 200 hrs per year on the boat.  

Our crew doesn't wakeboard much but i did try to get up to speed full ballast and wedge down just to see.  We had too many people in the boat and I only got to 14mph before we gave up and went back to surfing.  Note that test was done with 7 adults averaging 200lbs+, 3200lbs ballast, floating wedge down and all our gear @ 2800 ft.  I wasn't expecting a miracle, was just curious.  I'm sure The 2419 could handle a much heavier load for wakeboard than the 1235, but I'm not sure about fuel economy or rpms at those speeds.  Someone else will have to chime in.

Edited by bovhica
22 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

@granddaddy55 what prop do you have now?

1235 just like him as posted earlier ,  from his post above, I’m assuming the 2800 feet and the 200lb ( that is a big avg per person, that’s 280-350 extra right there with the avg person diff) avg per person is the problem getting it up fir wakeboarding , be pretty disappointed to pay that and not be able to get the big load up at sea level to wakeboard 

Edited by granddaddy55
25 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

1235 just like him as posted earlier ,  from his post above, I’m assuming the 2800 feet and the 200lb ( that is a big avg per person, that’s 280-350 extra right there with the avg person diff) avg per person is the problem getting it up fir wakeboarding , be pretty disappointed to pay that and not be able to get the big load up at sea level to wakeboard 

Yes.  We had lots of weight.  I'm 280 and all my buddies are around 200 with the exception on my wife 140.  So all 7 average was definitely over 200lbs.  So, we had approx 1400 lbs+ in just people.  3200 in ballast, all our gear, wedge down and 2800 ft.ASL. (also may have had some water in the hull.  The float on my bilge quit working so I've had to drain manually with the toggle and we did take some water while surfing that day either at the rubrail or rear vents when stopping, so there may have been additional weight i wasnt considering and all of that would have been in the rear.)  Just not quite enough horsepower to get up to wakeboard speed.  I will try the same setup with 3 or 4 peeps and let you know how it goes, but can't get out for a few days.  Also if we were at sea level I think it would have been a different outcome?

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1

It’s impressive just moving the load at surf speeds that you desired at elevation , the 1235 can’t do that at sea level either, best we got with similar load was 8-8.9 mph

just fixed my fickle and ugly regular wave this weekend with a listed 11.2 (opposite locker 1/3 full sac and all 500 lead on surf side in bow and under cabin seat). SHOUKD have listened to the crew about faster cleans up regular, and it was big and insane long for 20footer, squelched the surfgate spray shooting to surf side base of wave  it was shooting  up under transom rub tail and barely any coming over on to wave, therefore clean

going to try barging with both sides full and no list and maybe faster but I’m not sure the 1235 will accomplish that speed, I remember it struggling to go faster than 10.4-10.8 at best with my full load (before my 500 lead) without extra a lot of people but I need to work on my boats miserable slow transfers

my days of a cheap fuel bill is over with the weight we’re running for skate, board and surf.  Improvement is needed but $5 a day at 80 day’s is well over a year of our extremely long season fir payback, probably have to put it off but I still want to know your wakeboard performance cause we’re doing much more of that now, we’re like 50% or more wakeboard and skate when we used to be 25% or less with no real weight when 25%

Edited by granddaddy55

In my 12 A20 I run the 2313.  I'd recommend @granddaddy55 look at that or the very similar 2315. 

Stock + pnp (750s and bow bag) + 600 to 1k in on bow bag.  Planes out no problem.  Wakeboard only.  I don't use the wedge, but can get on plane with it down and this set up.  Only time I notice any delay in planing out is when the rears are full and there are adults in the rear of the boat.  The hull only really needs 500 to 600 for rear pnps for wakeboarding.  The key to getting an improved wake with the hull is the extra bow weight, IMO. 

i run a 2315 upgraded from the 1235 and man is it night and day difference for surfing and wakeboarding with lots of ballast.  much more efficient. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

It’s impressive just moving the load at surf speeds that you desired at elevation , the 1235 can’t do that at sea level either, best we got with similar load was 8-8.9 mph

just fixed my fickle and ugly regular wave this weekend with a listed 11.2 (opposite locker 1/3 full sac and all 500 lead on surf side in bow and under cabin seat). SHOUKD have listened to the crew about faster cleans up regular, and it was big and insane long for 20footer, squelched the surfgate spray shooting to surf side base of wave  it was shooting  up under transom rub tail and barely any coming over on to wave, therefore clean

going to try barging with both sides full and no list and maybe faster but I’m not sure the 1235 will accomplish that speed, I remember it struggling to go faster than 10.4-10.8 at best with my full load (before my 500 lead) without extra a lot of people but I need to work on my boats miserable slow transfers

my days of a cheap fuel bill is over with the weight we’re running for skate, board and surf.  Improvement is needed but $5 a day at 80 day’s is well over a year of our extremely long season fir payback, probably have to put it off but I still want to know your wakeboard performance cause we’re doing much more of that now, we’re like 50% or more wakeboard and skate when we used to be 25% or less with no real weight when 25%

Just to be clear, I'm calculating 4 to 5 dollars per HOUR saved surfing with the 2419 vs 1235.  So the payoff for us will be right at 100 to120 hrs in the boat if this average maintains (small sample, I know.)  I wish i could help you with fuel economy at wakeboard speeds and rpms but we just dont do it enough to give you accurate data. I'm sure someone in the crew will have all that info for ya!  I will however load up the ballast with 4 peeps and do a test run for wakeboarding speeds and let you know what rpms we are running.  This time ill make sure i dont have water in the hull....lol.  I don't know if the rpms will translate to sea level but it will at least give you an idea.  I'll do 18 mph, 20 mph and 22 mph unless you have something specific in mind? We will be going out Thursdays evening.  From everything i have read on here, the 2419 or 2315 is a no brainer and money well spent for anyone with the smaller engines.  I considered both but ultimately chose the 2419 because of our use and elevation.  We also go to a lake above 5000 ft on occasion and I wanted all the low end we could get.  The fuel economy was the surprise that I hope will just keep on giving! 

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

IIRC the 2313, 2315 and 2419 are all 15" props and have only a cupping difference.  I think the 2313 is the 15" version of the 1235 (someone please correct me if im miataken) and the 2315 is more aggresive than the 2313 with the 2419 even more aggresive in cupping.

I love my 2419 and I have the same hull and surf setup. Only time I want a different prop is when i head to Lake of the Ozarks where you need to travel for miles.

3 hours ago, bovhica said:

IIRC the 2313, 2315 and 2419 are all 15" props and have only a cupping difference.  I think the 2313 is the 15" version of the 1235 (someone please correct me if im miataken) and the 2315 is more aggresive than the 2313 with the 2419 even more aggresive in cupping.

It's actually the other way around... 2313 has most cup, 2419 least.

17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Yes...I wasn't trying to confuse anyone.  I was using the term aggresive in relation to the prop torque and low end performance.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 2
On 7/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, shawndoggy said:

So what was your most favorite of the 3 for  Power snd fuel efficiency, we are 50/50 wake to surf 

On 7/31/2018 at 12:25 PM, 95echelon said:

I love my 2419 and I have the same hull and surf setup. Only time I want a different prop is when i head to Lake of the Ozarks where you need to travel for miles.

Did your fuel get better than the 1235?

14 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Did your fuel get better than the 1235?

Never had a 1235, i bought the boat with the 2419 on it

I can surf with 4000 lbs of ballast for about 4 hours and uses 1/4 tank to 1/3 tank

• Like 2

@grandaddy55.  We went to the lake this evening.  I loaded up full Ballast (950 each side rear, 580 midship and 750 up front,  floating wedge down, three adults weighing a total 620 lbs and full fuel tank (No rider.)  At 2800 ft ASL, with that load my boat struggled to get up to wakeboard speed with the 2419.  I essentially hit a wall at 14 to 15 mph and couldn't plane.  I drained the 2 rear hard tanks which dropped the rear weight to 750 each side (just the bags.) That made a huge difference on the second attempt.  I still struggled a bit to get up to 20 mph but it did get there in about 18 seconds.  I'm sure elevation had a lot to do with that because of loss of HP.  You'd  probably fair much better at sea level.  Rpms at 20 mph were 3600 and 22mph were 3700.  The wave looked too big and lippy for me but im not much of a boarder.  I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing would probably love it.!

We then surfed the rest of the time with full ballast including a 300lbs bag under surf side seat when we rode regular.  Boat performed well.  Jumped up to speed and still had throttle At surf speeds.  At 11 mph I was running 3200 rpms fully loaded and 3300 at 12 mph.  We put a total of exactly 4.0 engine hours on the boat and my gauge is reading we burnt just over a quarter tank, not quite a third.  I didn't get a chance to top of to know exactly but I'd guess we used around 15 or 16 gallons, so the 4 gph surfing is still holding true.  That will be big savings over time for us compared to the fuel consumption with the 1235.

• Like 1