Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 24 MXZ vs 2018 model

aralizadeh

12 hours ago, chrisnorem said:

I just demoed a 2018 MXZ with the Raptor 450 and surf pipe.  It was quieter than the same set up on my 2016 23 LSV.  

I had a 2016 23 lsv and it was super loud. My 2017 23 lsv was significantly quieter.

11 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I had a 2016 23 lsv and it was super loud. My 2017 23 lsv was significantly quieter.

Can you please explain what is the difference between a 2016 and 2017 LSV to make it "quieter"?  what did they change on the 2017?  I always thought the boats were pretty much identical.

10 hours ago, Fman said:

Can you please explain what is the difference between a 2016 and 2017 LSV to make it "quieter"?  what did they change on the 2017?  I always thought the boats were pretty much identical.

There was a lot more mass added around the engine by thickening up the front wall of the engine compartment. Basically added another sheet of material. Also they rearranged the drive underneath the back seat so the machine noise was not as bad because it was shifted back from the seat base walls.  Also they thickened up the hatches a good bit for the same reasons.

All in all when I measured Ronnies’s 16 and 17 the sound was about 4-6dB quieter. That’s 30-50% sound reduction depending on which parts of the frequency spectrum you want to look at. 

Basically brought it in line with my ‘16 VLX that I sound treated with Mass Loaded Vinyl. Because as bbattiste247 said. ‘16 was a loud boat year. There was quite a lot of research done on that actually. 

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 2

17" prop boats (25LSV, 24MXZ and M235) will have 2:1 transmissions if you opt for the 555 LSA motor for 2019.

The standard 450 is also 2:1.

15" prop boats (22LSV, 23LSV and 22MXZ) will have 1.50:1 transmissions if you opt for the 555 LSA motor for 2019.

The standard 410 and the optional 450 will be 1.75:1.

Note:  20VTX, 21VLX and MLX will be standard with 410 but 1.5:1 gear ratio.  You can option for a 1.75:1 transmission this year which is pretty cool!

• Like 2

Any idea whether the 550 LSA motor in the 2019 17 inch props will be quieter than the 450 in the same boat?  We are either going to get the 24MXZ 2019 model or a 2018 boat with 575 engine which I've noticed to be significantly quieter than the 450.  Our main priority is quieter engine sound. 

• 3 months later...

I'm new here but before I bought 2019 24MXZ  I did a lot of research . So the 2019 24MXZ biggest change is the new engine ,Capitan sit and PE3. They add new vinyl colors . We choice black - I was told the will be cold black similar like Mastercaft but is way different. Other then that boat looks sharp  , we did not drive yet to check the new engine , salesman said he drive the boat with this engine and is a lot smoother  and quiet then 2018 .

How to attach photos?

On 11/7/2018 at 5:26 PM, greg2222 said:

I'm new here but before I bought 2019 24MXZ  I did a lot of research . So the 2019 24MXZ biggest change is the new engine ,Capitan sit and PE3. They add new vinyl colors . We choice black - I was told the will be cold black similar like Mastercaft but is way different. Other then that boat looks sharp  , we did not drive yet to check the new engine , salesman said he drive the boat with this engine and is a lot smoother  and quiet then 2018 .

How to attach photos?

Yes, the 2019 GM based engines are a lot quieter.

Site supporters can upload pics from phones or computers, or you can link to pics on a hosting site. 

On 11/7/2018 at 5:26 PM, greg2222 said:

How to attach photos?

Would definitely like to see pics!

• 5 months later...

Ok , So I have a boat on the water for 3 weeks . After all my web searching and checking reviews I’m disappointed about quality of this $170k Malibu boat. Looks like is normal for dealer but not for me.

It starts with some issues and design problems. We ordered boat with bow thrusters and 3 batteries so the are located on the same side of the boat with makes boat 3-4” lower to the left and looks like sinking. Also we have issues with noise - boat is laud with PCM 450 , with prop 17x19.5 as I tested whining sound at 1000rpm, we change to 17x15,5 and is accelerating fast but is crazy laud so we don’t hear any other sound other then engine and 4000rpm 25mph only.

need to go back again to dealer with some leaking issues and replace prop for 17x17 may help with regular use.

i had Tige R20 for last 5 years entry level boat  and nothing, zero problems .  Build quality is 2 times better specially when you dig in to the boat hull how is build , all cable , screw and other.

sorry to say that but  after people , website and friends said  Malibu is best in class  . 

The "whine" at 1000rpm.....that can happen if boat is put in gear (like on the trailer). If shaft does not have water to lubricate, 1min of running without lubrication can create that whine sound. Hard to imagine that was done to a brand new boat but that could be what is going on.....just a guess tho, dont know if that is the whine you are referring to without hearing it. My boat does same thing and has that weird whine at about 1000rpm  (no whine in gear at low idle speed, or over 1100rpm, only between 900-1000rpm) since previous owner put boat in gear on the trailer to check if prop was spinning smoothly after bumping into some debris not knowing you are not supposed to do that.

Have dealer check source of the whine when he gets boat next time, start make a non-essential warranty list for them to look into and take care of once the season is over so you have use of the boat. The sooner you document something like that to them, the better so they don't claim its something you caused.

7 hours ago, greg2222 said:

Ok , So I have a boat on the water for 3 weeks . After all my web searching and checking reviews I’m disappointed about quality of this $170k Malibu boat. Looks like is normal for dealer but not for me.

It starts with some issues and design problems. We ordered boat with bow thrusters and 3 batteries so the are located on the same side of the boat with makes boat 3-4” lower to the left and looks like sinking. Also we have issues with noise - boat is laud with PCM 450 , with prop 17x19.5 as I tested whining sound at 1000rpm, we change to 17x15,5 and is accelerating fast but is crazy laud so we don’t hear any other sound other then engine and 4000rpm 25mph only.

need to go back again to dealer with some leaking issues and replace prop for 17x17 may help with regular use.

i had Tige R20 for last 5 years entry level boat  and nothing, zero problems .  Build quality is 2 times better specially when you dig in to the boat hull how is build , all cable , screw and other.

sorry to say that but  after people , website and friends said  Malibu is best in class  . 

I would say to go back to a Tige. I have a 2019 25 lsv and I am pretty darn happy with it even though it has issues. 

• Like 3

Just got off the water today and yes, I have a few issues and yes I wish I didn’t, but I am still thrilled with the overall value of Malibu and the performance of the boat!

ahopkins22LSV

I’m trying to understand what you are saying that is so out of this world bad to say you are so disappointed. You mention the lean of the boat, that is just physics. You have three batteries plus the majority of the seating on one side. Do that in any boat and it will lean. But 200 lbs of lead to put on the other side and you won’t have that issue anymore. 

In saying that the engine is loud compared to your tige, unless you hd the same engines, transmission and prop setup you can’t compare. It’s a 24’ boat with I expect and bigger engine then your 20’ tige had. And my experience with tige is that they are some of the loudest boats on the water for exhaust noise. You have surf pipe now so all the exhaust noise is in the water so you are hearing pure engine noise. Pcm honestly builds one of the quietest engines out there. I’m not familiar with the 17” props but many on here are so hopefully they can help. It’s much more help if you can get the model number of the prop. 

37 minutes ago, greg2222 said:

My friend have 25lsv with raptor and his boat is much quieter. 

There is no problem with just this boat, I was expecting much higher quality .

I’m guessing you need more bow weight, maybe less wedge and a different prop since your engine’s working too hard if a PCM is louder than any Raptor.

If the boat isn’t balanced right, the prop shaft angled down makes it so that it’s not giving enough forward momentum.

• Like 1

i think you right. 

3 batteries and bow thrusters are heavy and sit on left side so left truster is under water and right is above, left side getting water in to the storage thru the holes for trustees ( not sealed as supposed) and water is coming back thru storage drain because is below water level so everything is wet including batteries .i was looking how to move batteries to the right side but there is no room except under dash but all cables must be replaced also under dash is a lot crossing cables and pipes. 

1 hour ago, greg2222 said:

My friend have 25lsv with raptor and his boat is much quieter. 

There is no problem with just this boat, I was expecting much higher quality .

Malibu is #1 for wake surfing -no question . Wake at this boat is massive, little bigger then 25lsv. 

3 hours ago, greg2222 said:

i think you right. 

3 batteries and bow thrusters are heavy and sit on left side so left truster is under water and right is above, left side getting water in to the storage thru the holes for trustees ( not sealed as supposed) and water is coming back thru storage drain because is below water level so everything is wet including batteries .i was looking how to move batteries to the right side but there is no room except under dash but all cables must be replaced also under dash is a lot crossing cables and pipes. 

Have you thought about throwing some lead weight on the opposite side to balance things out?  

You could try some sound deadening material they sell on amazon. comes in sheets with adhesive backing. Insulate for sound on the inside of the engine compartment. 

thank you all , I'll try move batteries to the right side but this is definitely wrong design and there is no any sound insulation on this boat I have no idea why is just fiberglass that's why boat is so loud. 

All of that this is new $170,000.00 (sticker price $206k)  boat .

boat 1.jpg